Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
The tune on the JL is not good. Hopefully Jeep comes out with an update.

I’m surprised there is not a person who does performance tunes on the 3.6l.
On the JK they do and the supercharger makers are already on to it.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
shuddering/jerky driving at light loads and slower speeds. 15-25 mph going up slight inclines in my neighborhood mostly. Feels like the transmission or torque converter is slipping or the engine is not tuned correctly. Hard to differentiate the two without monitoring some parameters.
There is no torque converter in a manual transmission.

OP, if the tranny was replaced, clearly it wasn't the problem. I'd go to another dealer, or go to @JeepCares to get some help. There are lots of people running 37's, so I doubt that's the issue. They just failed to isolate the problem. Keep working it. My money says the right person or people can figure that one out.

Did they replace the clutch, too, or keep the orignal with the new tranny? They might take a look there, too, if they didn't replace it. I'm not sure how power loss would occur, but it could be the source of the noise or vibration. If I were a stumped tech, I'd probably replace the engine computer, too, just to see what happens.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
There is no torque converter in a manual transmission.

OP, if the tranny was replaced, clearly it wasn't the problem. I'd go to another dealer, or go to @JeepCares to get some help. There are lots of people running 37's, so I doubt that's the issue. They just failed to isolate the problem. Keep working it. My money says the right person or people can figure that one out.

Did they replace the clutch, too, or keep the orignal with the new tranny? They might take a look there, too, if they didn't replace it. I'm not sure how power loss would occur, but it could be the source of the noise or vibration. If I were a stumped tech, I'd probably replace the engine computer, too, just to see what happens.
I have an automatic. I was responding to a question someone posted earlier, not talking about the OP's manual transmission. Also, I mentioned the clutch as a possibility in an earlier post.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I have an automatic. I was responding to a question someone posted earlier, not talking about the OP's manual transmission. Also, I mentioned the clutch as a possibility in an earlier post.
Ahh, ok. Sorry for the confusion.

Sponsored

sirryan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I drive the hills of TN and used to stay in 4th going 50-60 the whole 35 mile drive home...now, after installing my lift and tires, I noticed a massive decrease in power at 55-60 if I were to stay in 4th going uphill. Now, I have to a bit more down shifting, (3rd at 50 -55 or so) but I haven't heard any metal to metal noises.

JeepDrvr2018

First Name
Montgomery
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Retired Master Certified RV Tech
Ok, may not be germane, 2013 JKSU, 6-speed. I live in the N-GA hills, so mine hardly every gets into 6th gear. I have 66K miles on it, and I have never had a metal on metal sound out of my jeep. I would not have a vehicle with an AT, since that takes all the fun out of driving a jeep in the first place. I suspect based on your description, you had a possible bad throw out bearing, and clutch assembly. NO, Jeep would not have replaced the TO/Clutch when changing the tranny. Suspect it also may have been something in the engine, and they did not want to deal with it. Like others, I would have gone to different dealership. You may like the AT, just remember to change the fluid about every 30K miles regardless of what the owners manual says, there is a filter in their too, change it as well. Good Luck.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
It would have been more meaningful if TexasAG90 really knew what went wrong with the transmission....if it was anything to do with the transmission. It could have been any number of other things and he did not actually find out what was wrong. I don't even know why I am responding....TexasAG90 got a new transmission but that didn't fix it...so by process of elimination, it was something OTHER than the transmission.....ergo his post is almost entirely wrong. Don't know what to think of this?

RI Music Guy

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6-spd manual
Occupation
Daddy/Pipe Organ Tech/Musician
No lift on my (stock) 6-speed manual JLU Sahara...over 5,200 miles now with (thankfully) no issues. In fact, I have noticed in slight increase in power after the 5000 mile mark when taking off in 1st and 2nd. Wondering if it's programmed to "take it easy" for the 5,000 mile break in period...

Sponsored

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
No lift on my (stock) 6-speed manual JLU Sahara...over 5,200 miles now with (thankfully) no issues. In fact, I have noticed in slight increase in power after the 5000 mile mark when taking off in 1st and 2nd. Wondering if it's programmed to "take it easy" for the 5,000 mile break in period...
I’d be interested in that answer. I just picked up mine 2 days ago and it feels plenty strong. Of course I’m coming from a much slower vehicle. It’d be cool to get a free power boost in a few months.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
The tune on the JL is not good. Hopefully Jeep comes out with an update.

I’m surprised there is not a person who does performance tunes on the 3.6l.
There are. Diablo tuners has new tunes plus you can get custom tunes done. They definitely have them for the 3.6. Maybe not for the jl itelf yet but im sure they would soon if not now.

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
Yep. That’s what I would think it would be. Although, I can’t imagine a dealer replacing a transmission without having proof and approval from an area service writer.
Trust me it happens. I had a Volvo that had the appearance of a tranny problem. The dealer changed out the tranny first. It had the same symptoms the following day it was delivered to me and it ended up being the throttle positioning sensor that failed. It seems that the dealer will make money from it or they would not do the work.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
There are. Diablo tuners has new tunes plus you can get custom tunes done. They definitely have them for the 3.6. Maybe not for the jl itelf yet but im sure they would soon if not now.
Who does custom tuning for Wranglers? I would be interested for sure! I don’t want any canned tunes.

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
Theres a guy at diablo that will build custom ones for u using your data log. He turned my challenger rt into a beast.
Dan at Dakota customs likely does as they have every other jeep.

Realistically once the jl is cracked nearly any dyno shop should be able to with a diablo tuner
Sponsored