Sponsored

A tribute to the third pedal

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
I grew up in the '70s with older muscle cars, and a few, somewhat newer, sports cars. All of them had manual transmissions. The men I looked up to growing up all drove pickup trucks and Jeeps. They, too, all had manual transmissions, to the best of my memory. As I got a bit older, I bought a couple of fancy German cars -- names like BMW and Porsche. They, too, had third pedals, and I drove the hell out of them. And then, like everyone else, I suppose, I started buying cars with automatic transmissions. Now I have a teenage son, who grew up not knowing anything about driving a standard transmission. It is like a foreign language to him and his peer group. To me, that's a sad state of affairs. I started thinking about what he is missing out on. An engine revving. Downshifting into a turn. Choosing a gear. And so, I ordered a Willys with the 6 speed just for the hell of it. Not exactly a muscle car, but a fine exemplar of what tossing gears is all about. We're about four days into my son's baptism by stick and he's mastering the basics and apprehension is turning into wonderment. So today, just for fun, I showed him a bit of what's possible with a standard transmission. His face lit up. Good times. A father and son. A simple vehicle. A new skill. A new adventure for him. A blast from the past for dad. Jeeps are special. Third pedals are special. If you know, you know. Carry on and enjoy your Jeeps. I'm having a blast.
Sponsored

Ellebelle

First Name
Ellen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buick Encore, Chevy volt
We just ordered a 2023 manual Sport S.
both kids are excited to learn to drive it when it gets here. 21 year old daughter should catch on quick, 17 year old son will overthink it and confuse it with all the manual tractors he drives.
But they’ll both be driving it before long.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I grew up in the '70s with older muscle cars, and a few, somewhat newer, sports cars. All of them had manual transmissions. The men I looked up to growing up all drove pickup trucks and Jeeps. They, too, all had manual transmissions, to the best of my memory. As I got a bit older, I bought a couple of fancy German cars -- names like BMW and Porsche. They, too, had third pedals, and I drove the hell out of them. And then, like everyone else, I suppose, I started buying cars with automatic transmissions. Now I have a teenage son, who grew up not knowing anything about driving a standard transmission. It is like a foreign language to him and his peer group. To me, that's a sad state of affairs. I started thinking about what he is missing out on. An engine revving. Downshifting into a turn. Choosing a gear. And so, I ordered a Willys with the 6 speed just for the hell of it. Not exactly a muscle car, but a fine exemplar of what tossing gears is all about. We're about four days into my son's baptism by stick and he's mastering the basics and apprehension is turning into wonderment. So today, just for fun, I showed him a bit of what's possible with a standard transmission. His face lit up. Good times. A father and son. A simple vehicle. A new skill. A new adventure for him. A blast from the past for dad. Jeeps are special. Third pedals are special. If you know, you know. Carry on and enjoy your Jeeps. I'm having a blast.
Awesome and congrats on the shared experience! I had to teach myself based on experience with lawn mowers and tractors, lol; And in Los Angeles to boot. Now I drive my dad around to remind him what he gave up. We’re both adults and can share our love of cars even if he didn’t teach me stick.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR
That sounds like an awesome Father Son experience! And it's something that can keep growing.

I was surprised by how lovely and laid back the 6 speed in the Jl is. I have my JL and ND Miata, and my girlfriend has her Fiesta St; all manual and all distinct.

We'll probably jump straight from manual to electric lol but keep a 3 pedal vehicle around until the dino juice runs out. Even makes the commute in to the office more engaging.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Congratulations on inspiring your son, and imparting him with the skill, that most drivers need.

I personally think driving a stick makes a driver more aware of where they are driving and having to be ready to react for whatever comes their way, downshift, upshift, etc

Unfortunately the third pedal is going the way of the dinosaurs, one of the reasons I ordered my 22 with a stick as choices are rather limited for 3 pedals among newer vehicles.

Regards,
Jim

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Same with me. I've driven manuals for a good part of my life. The majority of the vehicles I've owned over the last 40+ years have been manuals, as is my current JLUSS.

I taught my daughter how to drive when she was 12. Had a 1990 NA Miata (which I still have). She took to the manual like a fish to water. Even took her driving test in that Miata, much to the wonderment of the people at the testing station.

Her first 2 cars were manuals (Focus ST, Civic Type R). When she bought her JL Willys, she wanted a manual but couldn't find a new one on any dealers lot within 500 miles of home and she didn't want to order one, so she went w/ the auto.

#SaveTheManuals

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
My Jeep’s an automatic but my sports car is a stick and a 2-seater. My daughters (5&10) both love riding in the sports car because it’s 1:1 time, and my older daughter is starting to ask about stick versus automatic, etc. They both want me to teach them how to drive the sports car when they’re old enough, and I can’t wait. Oldest also says “once I learn I’ll teach mom too” (wife can’t drive stick and doesn’t care) and that cracks me up. I hope they’ll always look forward to running errands in the sports car (or in the Jeep with top and doors off) with me.

Turaven

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Wrangler Sport 4-door 6MT
I've never been too close to my dad. He's 50 years older than me, he grew up whaling off the coasts of Norway and Africa. I've grown up to be a computer nerd. Totally different interests and paths in life.

When I turned 15 he bought a little Suzuki motorcycle. I thought this dinky little 250cc motorbike was the coolest thing in the world. 'Round these parts you can legally ride a 250cc or smaller bike at 15, so he took me to some abandoned road and showed me the ropes. How the clutch works, how/when to use the manual choke, etc. He quickly couldn't get me off the stupid bike so he upgraded himself to a large Suzuki cruiser and let me keep the little bike. We'd go out on Sunday drives and that's probably the only real bonding we've ever had.

That sparked my love of manual cars. I've had 6 now, #7 on the way with my 2023 Wrangler order. He lost his leg riding that little Suzuki though when some asshat plowed into him, so I've never been able to share my manual cars with him.

Anyways that my little story that nobody cares about, carry on.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Brings back some memories. I taught 2 of my boys to drive on a CJ7 with a worn out 4 speed. It took some psychic ability to feel what gear the shifter was taking you to because it had so much slop in it.

I myself learned on a VW beetle.

Good times.

Pretty soon these trannies will be as indecipherable to most as a steam engine.
Sponsored