Sponsored

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
Yeah, when you look at the panels, that was a damn hard hit to the chassis. Wouldn't want to be the person that ends up buying it.
I was thinking the same thing. There may be tailgate damage and even some suspension damage that may take time to reveal itself. Plus, a jolt like that can cause a lot of damage to the electronics, but it may also have seated all of the fuses, so maybe there is an upside …. 😃
Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
That will be an expensive repair. The quarter panels are buckled and the frame is likely bent. Glad you are okay. My 2020 Bikini 2 door was destroyed in a rear end collision in January.
I was going to say the same. Bet the frames bent (which will probably be a total loss)

JHTS

First Name
John & Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gecko JLU Freedom, 2020 Punk'n JL Sport S
Occupation
John - US Army Ret/DA Civilian / Holly - Boss of husband
I was going to say the same. Bet the frames bent (which will probably be a total loss)
My quarter panels were buckled like that, the frame bent on both sides. Body shop did not even finish the estimate, just told the insurance company to total it.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Maybe, but it takes a lot of damage to total a JL. And yeah, of course the other driver's insurance should cover it (assuming they have insurance).
100% that vehicle has frame damage. Look at how the quarter panel buckled. That's a clear indicator. The dealership won't be able to sell the vehicle as new, so it will be salvaged as a total loss.

Sponsored

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
100% that vehicle has frame damage. Look at how the quarter panel buckled. That's a clear indicator. The dealership won't be able to sell the vehicle as new, so it will be salvaged as a total loss.
For a consumer, you can fix an awful lot of damage off the value of a JL. Say that 4XE is worth 60k, you could fix 30k in damage and only be at 50%. You may not be happy getting it back with that much repairs, but if the law allows it doesn't make much sense for them to just toss out another 50%. Frame damage isn't some magical disqualifier for repair, it can be fixed.

This being a dealer, they'll probably total it regardless to avoid the mess because the dealer will almost certainly have a lawyer involved already and they'll at least want compensation for the time the vehicle was off the lot. Eventually the legal fees fighting just aren't worth it. The dealer also probably has their own insurance to cover this kind of accident anyway.

And state laws tend to be pretty weak on how much damage an untitled vehicle can take and still be considered new or as to whether they even have to disclose it to you. Dealership damage happens a lot, usually stupid minor parking lot crap or hauling damage. They fix it at their body shop and throw the car back on the lot (maybe with one fewer porters or sales people). I'll hope their contract with Jeep has some more stringent requirements (or they are just decent people).

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm still amazed how little damage the Jeep took compared to the other car.

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg
There's more than meets the eye to that now-totaled Jeep.

Deleted member 59098

Same thing happened back when I had a BMW E30. The car behind me was in bad shape with a buckled hood. My BMW had like a scratch.

Sponsored

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Just curious, with rolling power blackouts, do you own your own solar power grid?
Nobody talking about California buying power because their grid, can't handle the load and lets not forget Texas grid meltdown, sixteen thousand dollar a month for electricity!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
So, I'm seriously considering trading in my 2020 JLU Sahara for a 2021 JLU Sahara 4XE. My wife and I went on a test drive this last Saturday, I was driving, my wife was up front in the passenger seat, my salesperson (who had been on the job for 6 months) and her trainee (who had been on the job for 6 days) were in the back. LOVE the 4XE! Loved it so much that as I was driving it around I decided definitely to make the switch. Towards the end of the test drive I was exiting the highway and came to a full stop at the bottom of the off ramp at the red light. I had just let off the brake to begin my right turn off the off ramp heading back to the dealer to make the deal, when BAM! A lady in a small car slammed into our rear end at 50 mph! I'm still amazed how little damage the Jeep took compared to the other car. Everyone in the Jeep was fine, unfortunately, the lady that slammed into us had to be carted away in an ambulance.

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg
Unibody vs. body on frame. That Jeep is gone. That frame is heavily damaged and God knows what else.

nkyjeep

First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 f250 platinum, 2021 JL RUBICON
Occupation
retired
her car looks like a chevy , hell you can sit on the hood and it would look like this.
Jeep Wrangler JL A Testament to Jeeps' Toughness 1625096557205

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Dealership damage happens a lot, usually stupid minor parking lot crap or hauling damage. They fix it at their body shop and throw the car back on the lot (maybe with one fewer porters or sales people).
Yes, transport, dealer, weather damage, etc. occur all the time and the dealer will fix it all.

This instance is nothing like that. This is a significant accident where there is definite frame damage. This vehicle cannot be fixed and sold as new, as it has been damaged in the accident. It will be declared totaled and will eventually be salvaged. As we've both mentioned, the dealership will not waste time, manpower or money to repair it. If it is eventually sold, likely at a salvage auction, it will be with a salvage title.