A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I've been to Death Valley National Park a few times and have hit all the usual tourist spots - Badwater Basin, Zabriskie Point, etc... - but had never really ventured off-road there. An article in Expedition Portal laid out what seemed like a pretty interesting route so I started researching and planning my trip.

The plan was to start from Olancha, head up to Hunter Mountain, down to the Racetrack Playa, over Lippincott Pass, through Dedeckera Canyon and make my way out to Big Pine.

The drive up to Hunter Mountain was nice and uneventful.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2852

A little further down, the ruts were getting bigger and deeper. These things never really show up well in photos but from the driver's seat, it looked like the ruts were axle deep.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2853

So I decided to stop and step out to take a look and well... it was deep alright. I sunk ankle deep into some fine, talcum powder dust.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2854

After getting as much dust off my shoes and socks as possible, I made my way through the pancake mix and onto my camp spot for the night. You can disperse camp pretty much anywhere in Death Valley backcountry and I guess people were really dispersed because I didn't see any other people. I settled on a nice, flat spot right next to the road and had a delicious dinner of fried pork belly and rice.

Thankfully, it was not as windy overnight as the weather service had forecast and in the morning, it was dead calm. Enjoyed the pre-dawn light with a cup of coffee and headed out to check out the Racetrack.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2868

Turn left at the Teakettle Junction sign to get to the Racetrack.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2882

The Racetrack Playa is a cool place. Even if there weren't any moving rocks here, I think it'd be worth a visit. It's almost 3 miles long and dead flat... the northern end is only 1.5" higher than the southern end.

Also, the dried mud patterns remind me of those oyster crackers you get with clam chowder. 🤣

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2891

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2902

The next attraction was Lippincott Pass and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous about this part of the route. But it turned out not to be as bad as I had imagined in my head. Sure, it's fairly steep and rocky in spots. And yes, it's pretty narrow with huge drop offs but if you just take it easy and your brakes are in good working order, no biggie. Mind you, if you're afraid of heights or hate driving on the side of a cliff, you might not want to go this way.

The obligatory shot next to the sign.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2910

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2913

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2918

The drive through Saline Valley toward Warm Springs was... long but scenic. Does anybody know what these tires are for? Saw a few of them spread out randomly...

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2947

Steel Pass road may have been my favorite part of the trip. The scenery is grand (as it is in most parts of DV) and the road is rocky/gravelly with no washboards (hallelujah!). There were a couple of "technical" spots heading into Dedeckera Canyon but it was mostly just an enjoyable backcountry drive.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2958

Dedeckera Canyon may be the highlight of this route in terms of offroading. There are 3 or 4 small-ish obstacles to navigate through and having a spotter would have been helpful with tire placement but even stock Wranglers should not have any issues here.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2977

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2982

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_2985

Heading out of the canyon, you see Eureka Dunes in the distance. They are pretty impressive from afar or close up.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_3010

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_3013

After the dunes, I fought my way through more powdery dirt and never-ending washboard roads. Finally hit pavement, aired up and prepared for a long slog back home. Next time, I think I'll try it in the other direction. Going up the obstacles at Dedeckera Canyon and up Lippincott Pass would probably be more fun.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Short Trip Through Death Valley - Lippincott Pass to Steel Pass IMG_3020
Sponsored

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Awesome write up! I might have to retrace your footsteps next spring. Thanks for sharing!

Buddy Lee

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Looks like a great trip. I am heading out there myself with a group of friends next week. I am planning on hitting the same areas as well as a few more. I will have 5 days to spend there.I am installing the Exact Center stabilizer before the trip. It should be a great place to test it out. I will be doing a review when I return.

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Very nice 👍🏻. Thanks for sharing. You did this solo?

Sponsored

Bohica

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Occupation
Retired
The drive through Saline Valley toward Warm Springs was... long but scenic. Does anybody know what these tires are for? Saw a few of them spread out randomly...
Tires (and/or other heavy objects) are drug behind a vehicle to smooth out the ripples.

OP
OP
micahpop

micahpop

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Tires (and/or other heavy objects) are drug behind a vehicle to smooth out the ripples.
Aha! I wonder how often they do that. The washboards were... in top form. :swear:

WIJLU

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 XR
Awesome write up and pictures!! Love to hear about other peoples grand adventures. Very nice.
Sponsored