Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I bought my Wrangler in 2018. It was a base sport 2 door. I don't need the Rubicon I said, I just wanna get to some good hunting locations and do light off-roading. We had decent salaries back then, and were renting. A base sport seemed to be the perfect Jeep for us. We couldn't get a good loan interest rate, so I put about 80% down payment.

I ended up taking that jeep, 100% stock, to trails that were a little too difficult for the base Jeep, but it was fun. in 2019, exactly when the Jeep was 1 year old it was totaled. Wife and I decided to get another JL, but I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Rubicon or a 4 door. We both had new jobs, great salaries, could afford the Rubicon no problem and had set up an appointment to go over a 2019 4 door Rubicon. I started getting second thoughts about the 4 door, so the dealer showed us a Sport S 2 door, not a Rubicon. They had an awesome deal for this sport, but it didn't have lockers. My wife and I left the dealer to have lunch and talk over it. The savings were considerable over the Rubicon, we could buy this Jeep outright with the insurance money. We thought about all the upgrades we wanted for our house, the investments for the kid we were planning to have, camping trips, etc etc.... So many things we could do with that extra 12k. Did I really need that Rubicon?

I bought the Sport S, and been keeping the upgrades "budget oriented". I have a rubicon suspension on it, metal bumpers, winch, tranny/engine skid plate, front locker, rear LSD, rubicon M/T takeoffs, and a few other things. I have taken that Jeeps on tough trails, I've picked hard lines, I've pushed its limits. And everytime I pushed its limits I upgrade the weak point. Then I push it again.

Last week I ordered bilstein shocks. Another upgrade.... and while I was having a Whiskey by our restored 100 year old fireplace. I realized all these "budget" upgrades were adding up to thousands. Thousands that could be used to add more upgrades to our home, thousands that could be invested into the stock market for us or for our daughter. Thousands that could cover camping trips. I realized this is never gonna end. Jeeps are expensive, not just the vehicle itself, but the hobby. It is really expensive, and you can always increase the challenge as you increase the capabilities of your Jeep. I've done difficult trails with my Jeep, I've had lots of fun, it is extremely capable and I could take it to many Jeep trails other cars will struggle big time. I have no regrets. It can take lines only Jeeps can, it can take me to places no other car can. Pushing these boundaries would take me to even more places, but it costs lots of money. I made a difficult decision, the decision to stop pushing my little Jeep and spend my funds elsewhere. Because if I don't stop now, I never will.

I wanted to share my story because I know that lots of you have spent a lot more on these Jeeps that you initially thought you would. Those of you with Sports, and Rubicons (Saharas dont count - just kidding). I have wheeled my Jeep at every stage, from bone stock, to suspension upgrade, to tire upgrade, to winch and lockers. Your Jeep, at its current state is extremely capable. Rubicon or not. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of spending thousands more on your Jeep then you don't have to. Don't let forums and youtube tell you how capable your Jeep is. Let the trails tell you, let YOUR skills tell you. Then decide for yourself, do you really want to spend thousands more to take that line?.
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLUandCJ-7

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara w/mods
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Wrangler in 2018. It was a base sport 2 door. I don't need the Rubicon I said, I just wanna get to some good hunting locations and do light off-roading. We had decent salaries back then, and were renting. A base sport seemed to be the perfect Jeep for us. We couldn't get a good loan interest rate, so I put about 80% down payment.

I ended up taking that jeep, 100% stock, to trails that were a little too difficult for the base Jeep, but it was fun. in 2019, exactly when the Jeep was 1 year old it was totaled. Wife and I decided to get another JL, but I had the opportunity to upgrade to a Rubicon or a 4 door. We both had new jobs, great salaries, could afford the Rubicon no problem and had set up an appointment to go over a 2019 4 door Rubicon. I started getting second thoughts about the 4 door, so the dealer showed us a Sport S 2 door, not a Rubicon. They had an awesome deal for this sport, but it didn't have lockers. My wife and I left the dealer to have lunch and talk over it. The savings were considerable over the Rubicon, we could buy this Jeep outright with the insurance money. We thought about all the upgrades we wanted for our house, the investments for the kid we were planning to have, camping trips, etc etc.... So many things we could do with that extra 12k. Did I really need that Rubicon?

I bought the Sport S, and been keeping the upgrades "budget oriented". I have a rubicon suspension on it, metal bumpers, winch, tranny/engine skid plate, front locker, rear LSD, rubicon M/T takeoffs, and a few other things. I have taken that Jeeps on tough trails, I've picked hard lines, I've pushed its limits. And everytime I pushed its limits I upgrade the weak point. Then I push it again.

Last week I ordered bilstein shocks. Another upgrade.... and while I was having a Whiskey by our restored 100 year old fireplace. I realized all these "budget" upgrades were adding up to thousands. Thousands that could be used to add more upgrades to our home, thousands that could be invested into the stock market for us or for our daughter. Thousands that could cover camping trips. I realized this is never gonna end. Jeeps are expensive, not just the vehicle itself, but the hobby. It is really expensive, and you can always increase the challenge as you increase the capabilities of your Jeep. I've done difficult trails with my Jeep, I've had lots of fun, it is extremely capable and I could take it to many Jeep trails other cars will struggle big time. I have no regrets. It can take lines only Jeeps can, it can take me to places no other Jeep can. Pushing these boundaries would take me to even more places, but it costs lots of money. I made a difficult decision, the decision to stop pushing my little Jeep and spend my funds elsewhere. Because if I don't stop now, I never will.

I wanted to share my story because I know that a lot of you have spent a lot more on these Jeeps that you initially thought you would. Those of you with Sports, and Rubicons (Saharas dont count - just kidding). I have wheeled my Jeep at every stage, from bone stock, to suspension upgrade, to tire upgrade, to winch and lockers. Your Jeep, at its current stage is extremely capable. Rubicon or not. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of spending thousands more on your Jeep then you don't have to. Don't let forums and youtube tell you how capable your Jeep is. Let the trails tell you, let YOUR skills tell you. Then decide for yourself, do you really want to spend thousands more to take that line?.
I have a sneaking suspicion that between the price point that the Wranglers are getting to, and the cost of aftermarket support, more and more people will think the way you are thinking.

I bought what I could find during the inventory-depleted first months of COVID (a Sahara), and made it look the way I wanted and perform OK on trails. I've learned a lot and spent a lot in the process that may or may not be worth the price paid, and I bought my Jeep on a killer discount.

I shudder to think about what I spent on it overall. We do plenty well income-wise and wealth-wise, but value is value and I truly wonder if the Stellantis Jeep money press is getting close to topping out. The more you charge (Jeep), the more alternatives there are out there.

20211113_142153 (1).jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Thing is, you could have bought that Rubicon and it wouldn’t have prevented you from spending money “upgrading” this and that on the Rubicon, either.

I own a Sahara —i.e., one of those Wranglers that “don’t count”, and I also chose not to buy a Rubicon. I have no regrets; I love it. I’d do it again.

I owned several Rubicons in the past. They are fun, but they are not perfect. In my current situation, living here in the PNW, I get a lot more use out of the Selec-Trac and the rear LSD than I would out of Rubicon’s lockers and 4:1 transfer case. The only feature I really missed was the swaybar disconnect. But, fortunately, that was easily remedied with a $199 set of quick disconnects.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I had a Sport S, and when my lease ended, I leased another, a Rubicon (4xe). I personally don’t have the mod bug; I put about $750-1k into each of my Jeeps, mostly bolt on stuff like lighting and storage stuff. Unfortunately I live in a place where wheeling is hard to come by, so my need to upgrade is much less. I’m still in the “90% of my off-roading is getting to a hunting spot” and honestly my Rubicon is way overkill, but I wanted a 4xe and didn’t want a Sahara or HA (don’t want 20” wheels or leather). Had I been able to do a Willys 4xe I probably would have, unless the cost savings was minimal.

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thing is, you could have bought that Rubicon and it wouldn’t have prevented you from spending money “upgrading” this and that on the Rubicon, either.
Yes I know. That's why I conclude. My , your Jeep is plenty capable. And it is important to realize maybe it is time to stop. A Rubicon would have come out more expensive than my current Jeep, and I would be doing the same trails.

I've done many hobbies "sports". Skiing, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Hiking, Hunting. I tend to be the person who keeps pushing boundaries. For example, skiing started as going to a ski resort and renting a pair of crappy skies. And it ended with me owning backcountry skiing gear, including boots and crampons, climbing mountains and taking backcountry trails. Rock climbing started with me going to the local climbing gym, and ended with me leading sport climb routes and even trad climbing.

The thing is, with all these hobbies I have set boundaries. Those boundaries have been set because I don't want to hurt myself badly, and never money. I realized I needed to stop pushing the skiing the day I broke my ribs on a bad fall, in the middle of the backcountry an hr before dark. With rock climbing it was the day I slipped before the first bolt, broke my foot and cracked my helmet. could've been worst. The gear for these sports is a fraction of Jeep's gear.

Sponsored

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Meh...I look at it as entertainment. I don't do the typical "fly somewhere" vacations. That's thousands per year right there. I take my vacations on a bike, or the Jeep. Dragging this kind of money over rocks was a bit nerve racking at first, but I remember how my TJ didn't get wheeled it's first few years...what a waste once I found I enjoyed it. You can't buy back wasted time. If you enjoy it, do it.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, I’ve always loved Jeeps’ classic look.

The best looking Jeeps IMO are CJ, TJ/LJ, and JL in Sport/Willys/Sahara versions.

I get it that a lot of people these days buy a Rubicon for no other reason than they like the look of the vented hood, the high fenders and the giant stickers. That’s fine. And Jeep is only too happy to take their money.

But IMO Jeep went a little over the top with Rubicon’s styling and, in doing so, away from the traditional simplicity of the Jeep look. Thankfully, Jeep kept all other versions clean.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
A Rubicon would have come out more expensive than my current Jeep, and I would be doing the same trails.
That, right there, is the money quote!

OP
OP
entropy

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Meh...I look at it as entertainment. I don't do the typical "fly somewhere" vacations. That's thousands per year right there. I take my vacations on a bike, or the Jeep. Dragging this kind of money over rocks was a bit nerve racking at first, but I remember how my TJ didn't get wheeled it's first few years...what a waste once I found I enjoyed it. You can't buy back wasted time. If you enjoy it, do it.
Absolutely. Everyone situation is different. I enjoy it, and I am gonna keep jeeping. Shits gonna break, and there will be a next jeep eventually. I am just setting boundaries because I enjoy other things in life, and honestly all Jeeps are plenty capable. Thats all.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Your Jeep, at its current stage is extremely capable. Rubicon or not. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. If you are uncomfortable with the idea of spending thousands more on your Jeep then you don't have to. Don't let forums and youtube tell you how capable your Jeep is. Let the trails tell you, let YOUR skills tell you. Then decide for yourself, do you really want to spend thousands more to take that line?
Well said. Yes this is true.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
@entropy what front lockers are you running? I'm thinking of putting a lunchbox on mine but not sure how well it will handle 35s.

Great thread btw!

vegasblue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I didn't necessarily go in the same direction as you, I did start with a Rubicon, but not fully loaded. With under 10K miles, I have replaced suspension, wheels/tires, fenders, skids, bumpers, winch, and so on. I'm very capable, or so I thought until I saw purpose built trailer rigs. I can't even come close to what they do and I'm okay with that. I can do the Rubicon just fine, I can do 90% of the trails here in Vegas and in Big Bear. I'm very comfortable where I'm at and have decided I am at a stopping point. I'll replace things as they fail. I can see exactly what you are talking about in many of the builds around here. There just is no end, to the point of hilarity. Lights, fuel cans, water cans, RTTs, trax boards, shovels, hilift (the ultimate give away), and so on. My Jeep is a solidly modified 2021 Rubicon and it's paid off, as well as every part on it. I love the experiences my kiddos and wife have. Last weekend was Lower Rock Bottom and Shredder Bowl in Logandale. Stopped for street tacos on the trail while enjoying a few adult beverages and the kids were scaling the cliffs. I knew I wanted to be able to rock climb, but what is unique to the JLUR, is I'm headed to Zion this weekend and will enjoy the drive and the freedom panels off, albiet it will be COLD. (for a wuss from Vegas anyway). My friends bought the Sahara 4xE and they absolutely LOVE it. It's not for me at all, but they already know no mods in the future other than a swap tire/wheel set. There is a flavor for all of us. Just have to identify what you will be using your Jeep for. My Jeep is not my way of life, but it really is an experience that I enjoy every day, on and off the pavement, clean and dirty.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
BTW, social media has pushed consumerism into overdrive.

The whole reason for Youtubers —and Instagramers— like Trail Recon to exist, is to push totally unnecessary crap on the rest of us, under the guise that we “need” all of it to go camping and have fun.

Thing is: no, we do not.

And we need to learn to recognize that at some point is time to turn off the tube, sign off Amazon, get out there and have fun.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Someone does need to do a whole-life analysis on a Rubicon vs Sport though; yes it’s more expensive for the Rubicon but how much of that do you get back at resale time. If it’s near 100%, or more, it doesn’t really matter.
Sponsored