Sponsored

A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 Sarge Green
Again, the website is not accurate, the upgraded center display is part of the technology group which is included starting Sport S. Another error is that, the online builder doesn't allow cold weather group with automatic transmission in Sport Altitude model, but you can definitely add it when you build your JL with dealership.
Sponsored

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subie outback toad, pusher motorhome
Again, the website is not accurate, the upgraded center display is part of the technology group which is included starting Sport S. Another error is that, the online builder doesn't allow cold weather group with automatic transmission in Sport Altitude model, but you can definitely add it when you build your JL with dealership.
Thank you. Yeah, I guess the website is definitely inaccurate. Or maybe we're talking about different things. I should have worded it as the difference between the "base instrument cluster" and the "premium instrument cluster" and so far from looking at the manual, it seems as they both display the same information? Is that correct?

However, I haven't been able to configure a Sport with the "premium instrument cluster" even when adding the "technology group" as the online configurator still shows the "base instrument cluster." The "premium instrument cluster" is another thing I've not seen on any Sport (S or Altitude) as every one I've seen in person or in images so far seems to have the "standard instrument cluster" --except yours!

I'll have to study this issue more to see if I can make sense of it. Thanks again.

Base Instrument Cluster.png

Premium Instrument Cluster.png

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In another word, you cannot find a sport s or higher model with the base cluster as the technology group is included. Sport and Sport S are totally different thing, you only have few options to add on Sport, but starting Sport S you will be able to add nearly all the options.

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
In another word, you cannot find a sport s or higher model with the base cluster as the technology group is included. Sport and Sport S are totally different thing, you only have few options to add on Sport, but starting Sport S you will be able to add nearly all the options.
Oh, very good. I'm learning a lot. But I definitely do see what you mean about the website not being entirely accurate. I'm sure, or at least hoping, that once I start talking with a dealership, things will make more sense as far as the ordering process goes. I appreciate your help with all of this.

Sponsored

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They will try their best to help you when they want to take money from your pockets:CWL:

4doorturbo

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Interesting. And strange. So you have black trim on the steering wheel spokes but the silver trim around the tach/speedo pods? Thanks much for letting me know.
Correct. My ‘21 Sport S with the 7” screen has the premium cluster which has the silver trim circles on it. The climate control and window switches have the silver trim as well, but the steering wheel has satin black trim. I plan on swapping that for the Rubicon/Sahara silver trim for the wheel.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

How were you able to get the upgraded center display in instrument cluster on the Sport?
You can't. It's not an option for the base Sport. You need to start with the Sport S. The Sport Altitude is based off the Sport S.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Another error is that, the online builder doesn't allow cold weather group with automatic transmission in Sport Altitude model
It does. You just have to choose the automatic transmission with 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine or the 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Engine with Start Stop.

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It does. You just have to choose the automatic transmission with 3.6L V6 24V VVT eTorque Engine or the 2.0L I4 DOHC DI Engine with Start Stop.
Aha yes, that's fixed. It didn't work when I built up my JL.

Sponsored

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't. It's not an option for the base Sport. You need to start with the Sport S. The Sport Altitude is based off the Sport S.
I think it's now getting clearer to me ...thanks. However, no matter how I configure a Sport Altitude (e.g. I added all the packages ...premium audio, technology, convenience, advanced safety, trailer-tow, LED headlamp, safety, and cold weather, etc.), on the interactive online configurator, it doesn't show it having the Premium Instrument Cluster.

jy86206 has it but I'm nervous that I will not once they confirm my order as there's nothing indicating that it's included.

Is having the Premium Instrument Cluster that much of an advantage? Will the Standard Instrument Cluster show the exact same information only not in color(?) or having the fuel and coolant temperature indicators being analog gauges?

eta: ok, now that I scrutinize those dealer inventory images closer, I do see where most of them do have the Premium Instrument Cluster. Again, though, I see no mention of if or an update on the interactive image on the online configurator.

Last edited:

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

on the interactive online configurator, it doesn't show it having the Premium Instrument Cluster.
What the manual calls the "Premium Instrument Cluster" is part of the Technology Package and is listed as "Cluster 7.0-Inch TFT Color Display". This is not to be confused with the "7.0-Inch Touch Screen Display", which is the radio.

If you build out any Sport S model, or higher, with the Technology Package you get the 7 inch cluster.

Don't go by what the online configurator says once a vehicle is fully built out to your specs. It doesn't list/detail every specific item.

Jeep Wrangler JL A question for Sport/Sahara Altitude owners 1613595019362

Last edited:
OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What the manual calls the "Premium Instrument Cluster" is part of the Technology Package and is listed as "Cluster 7.0-Inch TFT Color Display". This is not to be confused with the "7.0-Inch Touch Screen Display", which is the radio.

If you build out any Sport S model, or higher, with the Technology Package you get the 7 inch cluster.

Don't go by what the online configurator says once a vehicle is fully built out to your specs. It doesn't list/detail every specific item.

1613595019362.png
Ohhhh!!! Ok, now I get it.

Yeah, the online interactive configurator imge still doesn't show it as I currently just configured it as I'm writing this but I think I can be pretty confident that it will be included in my build if choosing the Technology Group.

You been really helpful here. Thanks a bunch!

eta: ...and when I mentioned previously about the leather seats being the reason why I was leaning toward the Sahara, I'm now researching the Katzkin option if going with the Sport. It appears they can be a dealer installed option or can be done later by an authorized installer. This really sounds like an interesting alternative.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

eta: ...and when I mentioned previously about the leather seats being the reason why I was leaning toward the Sahara, I'm now researching the Katzkin option if going with the Sport. It appears they can be a dealer installed option or can be done later by an authorized installer. This really sounds like an interesting alternative.
If you want to save a bit of cash, consider cloth seats and going with PRP seat covers. You can configure/customize them in many different ways to suit your style/liking. Many, including myself, consider them a better option than leather. They are on my next purchase list.

https://www.prpseats.com/product-category/seat-covers/jeep-seat-covers/

OP
OP

roamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want to save a bit of cash, consider cloth seats and going with PRP seat covers. You can configure/customize them in many different ways to suit your style/liking. Many, including myself, consider them a better option than leather. They are on my next purchase list.

https://www.prpseats.com/product-category/seat-covers/jeep-seat-covers/
Perfect!!!

That's one of the things that caught my eye when looking over some of the features of the new Bronco ...they use "marine grade vinyl" for some model applications. I thought that would be perfect for this type of a vehicle. I don't necessarily want leather, per se, but want something other than cloth. I had leatherette in several of my past VW/Audis and loved it. So any type of pseudo-leather is fine for me as an alternative for expensive leather seats.

And the price is so much better too!

Thanks once again!!
Sponsored

Last edited: