Sponsored

A plugged spare, would you do a 5 tire rotation?

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
I plugged a tire a few months ago so swapped it with the spare and forgot to get it patched. I was going to do a 5 tire rotation tonight but it seems the plug is pretty close to the sidewall. Should I get it patched and then do a 5 tire rotation or not bother patching it?

20190521_184811.jpg
Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
If they will put in a patch, you could resume the rotation. However, I prefer to leave the spare the spare

Brett

Ogre_FL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2 Door Sport S, 2021 Gladiator 80th
I don't know how things are where you live, but they would not fix that tire here.
Everyone has a little different graphics for this, but your plug looks outside the repairable area on any I have seen.

Now would I keep it as a spare....hell yea.

FWIW I have plugged so many tires in the last 7 months since Hurricane Michael here, I can tell you someone in my family has been running tires with a plug like that because very few vehicles have full size spares anymore. But we have to keep an eye on them.

EDU_tire-repair_2017.jpg

punture-repair-area_650x400.jpg

Sponsored

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I would actually rather run the plugged tire, and have a solid spare. A plug can go at anytime - I had a plug go while I was at work all day, came out to find my tire was flat. Also, just this past weekend, I was working in my driveway when I heard my neighbors tire spring a leak and go flat out of the blue, I'm guessing it was plugged. So, I'd rather run the plugged tire knowing that if it goes I have a good spare to get me to the tire shop, than run the plugged tire as a spare not knowing if it will be good when needed - remember, since there is no weight on the spare tire, it won't look flat even if it has 0 pressure!

RichD

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport S
Plug and patch. I'm a magnet for nails and screws for some reason. I've had darn good luck with repairs the past few years on various cars and SUVs. Repaired by a local tire chain, used as primary tires, they've held up for the life of the tire.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
I'd replace the darn thing and add it back into the rotation. Tires are far too important. But that's just me.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Leaveit--the cost to patch will be from $25 bucks to $45 bucks, depending on where you are--

Not worth the savings in ROTATION--

GOOD LUCK

JIMBO

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Leaveit--the cost to patch will be from $25 bucks to $45 bucks, depending on where you are--
Around here most tire shops fix flats for free. Of course not sure this one can be fixed due to location. I got a screw in one of my BFG KO2's and Americas Tire patched for free (it was in the middle of the tread), but patch didn't hold so they replaced the tire free (I did buy their tire warranty when I had them do my first rotation).

Anyway... don't most tire shops do free flat repairs these days?

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
No, most tire shops will charge minimum $25 bucks just to remove and inspect a tire--UNLESS YOU BOUGHT/HAD INSTALLED the tires at THAT SHOP !

That's on the WEST COAST !

W.E.

JIMBO

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's on the WEST COAST !
So there IS some advantage to living here? LOL And here I was ready to move out... might have to rethink that exit strategy...

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
I've never heard of a tire shop fixing flats for free unless you bought the tires complete with warranty from them.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
Meh, I'd run it. But I'm less risk averse in that area. My experience with plugs is that hold super well. I had a friend even run a circuit-cross event on a plugged tire that he forgot about lol.

OP
OP
Snowshoes

Snowshoes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 ZJ 5.2 / 2018 JL 3.6
Thanks everyone for your input! I went to two tire shops and they refused to patch it. I decided to keep it as the spare and just do a 4 tire rotation. I don't mind a plugged tire fail and leak when going slow but not the highway speed.
Sponsored