Sponsored

A lot of newbie questions (buying first Jeep!)

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Not sure what else you drive other than the BMW or have driven, or what your expectations of the wrangler are, but you need to know that Jeeps are “NOT” ridden… they are driven.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll take my Rubicon XR ride over any Lux-SUV! You have to be a true Jeep person to enjoy it for all its worth. If you’re looking for that cushy effortless ride, then I would pass… if you buy, get the XR Package.
Thanks for the great advice! I agree, am leaning towards the Rubicon as it is such a good package, or maybe really even Willys. Am still thinking whether to go 4xe (sahara).

I don't have a lot of offroad experience - I come from Europe, where I used to own a Lada Niva (that's one funny bucket!) for some simple offroading. As long time motorcycle rider, I even held a sidecar motorcycle called Ural - a modern copy of a WW2-era boxer BMW, with a rear 2WD :) . Telling this just to say that I love "physical" driving :D and that's why I believe the Jeep will be a super addition to my family :P

Jeep will be mine, and I will let the lady ride in the Beemer :P
Sponsored

RER

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon XR
Based on the vehicles you mention, you will be more than happy with either the Willys or Rubicon. Do yourself a favor and figure out what options you want/need now. Then go onto the Jeep build site and build each. Be sure to review all standard equipment on both. You may find that you'll get more for your money with the Rubicon.

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
The nice thing about having 4 doors is that you will need something to load your valuables when you have to leave the coast at least once a year during hurricane season. I can't say I have ever really seen a need to drive in snow in your area, everything shuts down when you get the ice/snow. Just stock up on bread and milk days before, even if you don't need it. I really miss living in the Carolinas, made me daydream on a Friday. You have to go the outer banks to legally drive on the beach as far as I remember and its pretty rugged up that way.
Western Carolina BBQ is by far the best and I know thems fighting words

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLR 2.0T, '21 KL TH 3.2, '19 Charger R/T 5.7
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Don't you listen to this @jeep-tonic . Eastern vinegar sauce is where it's at. If anyone tries to put any tomato sauce on your pork, you smack them.

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
I really miss living in the Carolinas, made me daydream on a Friday. You have to go the outer banks to legally drive on the beach as far as I remember and its pretty rugged up that way.
Thanks, fellow nerd :D

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Don't you listen to this @jeep-tonic . Eastern vinegar sauce is where it's at. If anyone tries to put any tomato sauce on your pork, you smack them.
I kinda agree with that - get tomato sauce away from meat in any constellation, except perfect home cooked bolognese :D

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
Mayonnaise only belongs on turkey. Go red! :D

All of its way better than the dry stuff that the pass off as BBQ in Ohio.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Just stock up on bread and milk days before, even if you don't need it.
LOL, if there is a threat of snow here, there's a mad rush for bread and milk, they'll literally clear out the shelves at the grocery store. I don't really understand the desire to load up on two of the most perishable things in the store.

Luckily the beer section isn't right by bread or dairy, but it does make the checkout line take forever.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Holier Than Thou Internet Bully, Part-Time Online Boy Scout, Full-Time Arson Enthusiast
Mayonnaise only belongs on turkey. Go red! :D

All of its way better than the dry stuff that the pass off as BBQ in Ohio.
If someone put mayo in your ENC sauce, you been done a great disservice. I'mma drop some pulled pork love on this thread:

1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
2-5 tablespoon brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
2-3 tablespoon red pepper flake
2 tablespoon sriracha or other sweet hot sauce (I always add more, done by taste though)
1 habanero, finely chopped

You let that mess marry up over night and put it on some properly smoked pork and you'll be squared away.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Memphis pit bbq is the best. That being said Texas brisket is some good stuff too. North Carolina can keep that gross vinegar stuff though.

Sponsored

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
If someone put mayo in your ENC sauce, you been done a great disservice. I'mma drop some pulled pork love on this thread:

1 cup of white vinegar
1 cup of apple cider vinegar
2-5 tablespoon brown sugar, depending on how sweet you like it
2-3 tablespoon red pepper flake
2 tablespoon sriracha or other sweet hot sauce (I always add more, done by taste though)
1 habanero, finely chopped

You let that mess marry up over night and put it on some properly smoked pork and you'll be squared away.
that's a YUMMY sauce and something I can fully support. Its the slaw that's on the sandwich that is mayo based that ruins it instead of the red sauce slaw that you get in the west. What hurts most is the tick bites that I got from wheeling that has ruined my ability to eat red meat. I miss the Carolinas.

Remorseless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
that's a YUMMY sauce and something I can fully support. Its the slaw that's on the sandwich that is mayo based that ruins it instead of the red sauce slaw that you get in the west. What hurts most is the tick bites that I got from wheeling that has ruined my ability to eat red meat. I miss the Carolinas.
Yeah, I can't do slaw. Cabbage and mayo can GTFO. Just give me a potato bun, sauce, and pork and I'm good. And damn, that's crazy unfortunate.

acomputernerd

First Name
Tricia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
NERD
Now that I have officially hijacked this thread, I will say that this is the first jeep that I've ever owned or even ridden in. Ordered it without a test drive, intended to just tow it behind the RV and though to get a Rubicon because I might take it off road. No idea what lockers or any of the other switches were for. Person at work told me to do an adventure academy and I'm now taking it off-road in the woods every weekend. My daily commute is small so its manageable. it wanders all over the highway, its loud, its expensive, but OMG is it a fun method of transportation with a hobby that will give you a lot of enjoyment. I love the manual transmission but its not like any other that I've driven. You don't have to buy the most expensive to have fun and every trail rated Jeep will get you just about everywhere you want to go.

CharlesC

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Sahara Altitude
Memphis pit bbq is the best. That being said Texas brisket is some good stuff too. North Carolina can keep that gross vinegar stuff though.
True this... I'll eat up the dry rub Memphis BBQ, and some brisket, and leave that vinegary stuff on the side! It's not about the sauce... it's about the meat. If you have to drown it in vinegar, or that tomato sauce, something is wrong...

ABF4775

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JL Sahara, 2020 RAM 3500
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
No need to apologize at all. The 8HP75 transmission only comes with the diesel. The 3.73 gear ratio also only comes with the diesel for new Jeeps, unfortunately. So if you want those, for the Willys, you need the diesel.

Gear ratio is something that can be changed later by a shop installing new gears. It changes the torque multiplication at the axle. You want more multiplication for off road and bigger tires and a performance feel, and less for on highway cruising and fuel efficiency, generally speaking. So, 3.73 is going to have more torque multiplication but at a fuel efficiency hit, while 3.45 is going to be more fuel efficient but at a torque/performance hit. The Rubicon comes with 4.10s with the automatic transmission, manuals can get up to 4.88 I believe. And the 4.56 ratio is unique to the Xtreme Recon package which adds 35" tires. But, you can get any of these gear ratios installed aftermarket as well.

The Selec-Trac, a full-time 4x4 system, will have 4Auto position in addition to the 4H and 4L position on the transfer case - in 4Auto is basically engages 4 wheel drive when needed due to slip detection by traction control. It's two wheel drive until it detects slip and then it'll kick in the front axle to assist with traction when slip is detected, basically. Think of it as the Wrangler's answer to all wheel drive.

Your regular part-time 4x4 drive setup, you ALWAYS want to be in 2H (2 wheel drive) on the road, never in 4H (4 wheel drive, High range) or 4L (4 wheel drive, Low range) - these are reserved for off-pavement.
Hello, also a new Jeep owner here who has already made my purchase. Been reading through a lot of posts on here trying to better understand the capabilities of my new machine. Perhaps you could help me better understand the 4 wheel drive system. After reading your post it makes me think I made some ordering choices I would have rethought with the proper info at the time. I have a 2022, JLUS and I did not order the Selec-Trac system. Live in Central Illinois and get a fair amount of snow. Should I not engage the 4 wheel drive system to drive on a snow covered road at moderate speeds (35-45 MPH)? Both you and @aldo98229 seem to have a very good understanding of the 4 wheel system.
Sponsored