Sponsored

A lot of newbie questions (buying first Jeep!)

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Just making sure that you've at least looked at the spreadsheet in my sig before plunking down a deposit.

So, I see a couple good options, they are all quite a bit of driving away from me.

Let's say I put the order down in a State far far away (another state, that is) - I bring the Jeep home, and something breaks. Is the local dealer, who will have to fix it, going to treat me just the same as if I purchased from him, or can I expect some chicanery and such?

Also - all the below invoice pricing - that prolly goes for builds, but not for what they have in the lot, correct?

(I know, a lot of naive questions - but there are no stupid questions, I hope :D)
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

So, I see a couple good options, they are all quite a bit of driving away from me.

Let's say I put the order down in a State far far away (another state, that is) - I bring the Jeep home, and something breaks. Is the local dealer, who will have to fix it, going to treat me just the same as if I purchased from him, or can I expect some chicanery and such?

Also - all the below invoice pricing - that prolly goes for builds, but not for what they have in the lot, correct?

(I know, a lot of naive questions - but there are no stupid questions, I hope :D)
Correct on all counts.

Where you get your Jeep serviced has nothing to do with where you buy it.

The pricing is for custom orders only.

I flew from Colorado to Michigan to pick mine up. The plane ticket was about $300.

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Anybody see this?I found it in a FB group ...

Does anyone know the dealer, are they cool/reliable?

Link 4xe Saharas
Link 4xe Rubicons

Jeep Wrangler JL A lot of newbie questions (buying first Jeep!) 1661177895614

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
My requirements are:
- Unlimited
- Don't know about softtop/hardtop yet
- Needs to be useful as a daily driver for running to the city and around city (50-60 miles daily)
- Needs to be outdoorsy (but not hard-core, for the first year or two) - I want to make nice trips (don't know where yet) in the outdoors, but on settled dirt roads etc, no huge rock-crawling planned (for now!)
- I prefer auto transmission (but I am fluent in stick shift, as I am basically European haha :))
- Need high seats (I am tall and have back problems)
- Want Alpine Premium Audio (Is it even available in 2023?!)
- I can lease for first 3 years and then assemble a real thing, if I can afford and want
- I love the High Tide (visually), Rubicon (tech/performance), Sahara, High Altitude (seems a bit fancy)

So, my questions:
RUBICON
- Is it too much to get a Rubicon and then also use it as a daily driver?
- I really hate the red dashboard pieces - is that difficult to change to let's say the leather-trim pieces available at Mopar?

SAHARA
- It seems like the tires are not too "outdoorsy", at least in photos. Am I wrong? Should/could I plan an upgrade that would fix this?

HIGH TIDE
- Is it even possible to get that for the 2023 season? On the website it is just a 2022 model ... I like the looks ...
- Do I understand correctly, that the HT only has large wheels, but not other off-road stuff (axels etc) the Rubicon has?
- Do I understand correctly it has "low seats", not the comfortable high-seats?

HIGH ALTITUDE
- I like the big wheels, but they are probably more for the roads and daily, and not for any off-road? What wheelset would I need to use it more outdoorsy?
- I dislike the stitching on the seats, would prefer neutral leather, if leather at all.

Oh, sorry for the long thread ... Thanks for reading so far!

Cheers!
I drive my Rubicon to work everyday.
Have seen plenty of the red dash pieces wrapped. Wish there was a blue to match my Hydro Blue.
Sahara - This is the urban assault vehicle with all the niceties of a modern SUV. My buddy has one, put 35's on it and does just fines off roading.
Hardtop - Yes for me including the insulation. Also did the color match so it will still look nice 5 years from now. Not sure I would do color match fenders again. Already have some scrathes.

Go rent one for a day or two.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Does anyone have an opinion about the Jeep dealers in Wilmington area:
- Hendrick CDJR Jeep dealer Wilmington
- Westgate CDJR of Burgaw
- National - CDJR of Jacksonville

Saturday is the day! :D

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Hi. I have offers from 3 dealers, they do not move from MSRP.
But, they are different in their timelines. One is saying 2-4 months, one is saying 4 months, and one is saying 6-9 months and he is adding that all the others with 4 month deliveries are bulshitting me.

I wanna put in the order today, but still am interested to hear if anyone has an opinion about these delivery timelines?

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Hi. I have offers from 3 dealers, they do not move from MSRP.
But, they are different in their timelines. One is saying 2-4 months, one is saying 4 months, and one is saying 6-9 months and he is adding that all the others with 4 month deliveries are bulshitting me.

I wanna put in the order today, but still am interested to hear if anyone has an opinion about these delivery timelines?
The last one is probably speaking the most truth. 6-9 months is a worst case scenario, but it is possible. Especially since railworkers are just about to go on strike (see in the 2023 orders -check in thread). On top of that, workers at a Stellantis Casting Plant are striking as well. Depending on how long the strikes last (or in the case of the railway strike if the dealer is close enough for a truck delivery), it could definitely take a while. It's best you settle in for a bit of a wait and be pleasantly surprised if it comes earlier than expected.

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
The last one is probably speaking the most truth. 6-9 months is a worst case scenario, but it is possible. Especially since railworkers are just about to go on strike (see in the 2023 orders -check in thread). On top of that, workers at a Stellantis Casting Plant are striking as well. Depending on how long the strikes last (or in the case of the railway strike if the dealer is close enough for a truck delivery), it could definitely take a while. Its best you settle in for a bit of a wait and be pleasantly surprised if it comes earlier than expected.
Thank you! I was inclined to think that too - he had no reason to BS me with a prolonged projection. I have just sent him an e-mail to start the order. Yay!

M_Pluto

First Name
Jayne Cobb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Earl JLUR w/MT
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cultural Heritage Researcher
Thank you! I was inclined to think that too - he had no reason to BS me with a prolonged projection. I have just sent him an e-mail to start the order. Yay!
In the meantime I suggest you read a couple of posts I'll link below to learn more about the process of ordering/building/assembly of jeeps

Here is a link that explains jeep assembly process a bit better. It explains how the order in which jeeps are built is done as well.

This link here talks about the ordering process, and all of the different codes associated with different steps along the way of ordering , how it is built, etc.

Edit- for some reason the links didn't get added in 🤦🏽‍♀️ fixed now.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Finally ordered (2 weeks ago).
Final was white 4xe Rubicon with a lot of equipment. I got sucked in ... :P

Now the wait ...

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
So much going on lately - driving around in my 4xe Rubicon!

I took posession of it on Saturday - it was built and delivered in less than 8 weeks!

Love every inch of it, and already planning for:
- Seat Slammers (to lower rear end of seat, as I am 6ft4 and 300 lbs of "muscle") to sit more comfortably under the sport bar, not just in front of the sport bar :P
- name decals (of course) ... name TBD :P
- Level 2 charger ... not in sight yet, but might come at some point. Currently overnight charging is enough for me.

Thank you everybody who helped me make the decision (to go all in), and everyone who contributed with skillful answers to my n00b questions ...

Now looking at where I can go to "jeeping school" in NC, and find the first organized trail to see where the fun is :)

Yay!

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
So much going on lately - driving around in my 4xe Rubicon!

I took posession of it on Saturday - it was built and delivered in less than 8 weeks!

Love every inch of it, and already planning for:
- Seat Slammers (to lower rear end of seat, as I am 6ft4 and 300 lbs of "muscle") to sit more comfortably under the sport bar, not just in front of the sport bar :P
- name decals (of course) ... name TBD :P
- Level 2 charger ... not in sight yet, but might come at some point. Currently overnight charging is enough for me.

Thank you everybody who helped me make the decision (to go all in), and everyone who contributed with skillful answers to my n00b questions ...

Now looking at where I can go to "jeeping school" in NC, and find the first organized trail to see where the fun is :)

Yay!
Congrats! You were east coast?

Uwharrie closes in a month and it’s a tough time frame with the holidays. Check out the NC Roll Call thread. Best experience is with a group of jeepers.

OP
OP
jeep-tonic

jeep-tonic

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
Congrats! You were east coast?

Uwharrie closes in a month and it’s a tough time frame with the holidays. Check out the NC Roll Call thread. Best experience is with a group of jeepers.
Thanks! Yess, east coast! Uwharrie sounds great, have done some research already.

I don't dare go alone ... :P

also, I know I will wanna look into:
- a mounting bar inside for putting up a Gopro, phone, and other geek stuff
- a portable tire blower :)
- a flat cargo area riser

Designwise I do love it mint, as it is, for now ... except I want to remove hood decals ... they don't talk to me :P
Sponsored