unixfool

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU - Sting Gray 2.0L Hard Top Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I'm tempted to buy a decibel meter and visit a dealer or two, pretending I'm looking for a new Wrangler to measure the NVH of a soft top. I test drove a soft top the same day I bought my hard top. The soft top was definitely more quiet than my soft top TJ but wasn't as loud as I expected when compared to my hard top JLU.

At 200 miles, I got a CEL on my JLU. The dealer had it a few days to replace the cooling unit, but they rented me a hard top JK (with AT tires). It was louder than my JLU, and that's pretty much a back-to-back comparison. When I picked up my JLU after repair, I immediately noticed that the JLU managed the wind noise a lot better. Again, that was a back-to-back comparison.

But I want some objectivity, so a decibel meter will give me that. A measurement will factor out subjective hearing.
Sponsored

DrPerez007

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See Signature
Occupation
Public Safety & Legal Consultant
A Jeep Wrangler with wind noise. Who knew! LMAO. I like my Jeeps simple (my first was an M38A1 and I miss it; no top, no doors, no roll bar, just fresh air). In fact, I'm not even sure where my TJ factory top is and my JKU with hardtop is actually quieter than I ever imagined it would be.

Really, I agree that if one wants to avoid wind noise, buy a Range Rover. A Jeep is truly a brick on wheels. Add a 50" light bar and I'm told you will really find out what wind noise is all about (I don't use one because everyone else does).

But even more laughable to me is that last night I was paging thru the Quadratec catalog (anyone on this planet not familiar with the Quad catalog?) and came across something called a "cabin filter." This is apparently placed behind the glove box (news to me). Here is the Quad description:

Cabin Air Filters replace your vehicle's stock cabin filter with a reusable design that cleans and freshens incoming air. They are electrostatically charged to grab and hold dust particles.

Seriously? They sell a cabin, interior air filter for a Wrangler? Folks, if you need to use this, you are probably driving the wrong vehicle. And besides, if the wind is sailing thru your Jeep, those dust particles should blow right out.

IMG_2242.JPG

Hgrace

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JUL Sport S, Fleetwood 33 Terra SE. Lincoln MKC
I'm tempted to buy a decibel meter and visit a dealer or two, pretending I'm looking for a new Wrangler to measure the NVH of a soft top. I test drove a soft top the same day I bought my hard top. The soft top was definitely more quiet than my soft top TJ but wasn't as loud as I expected when compared to my hard top JLU.

At 200 miles, I got a CEL on my JLU. The dealer had it a few days to replace the cooling unit, but they rented me a hard top JK (with AT tires). It was louder than my JLU, and that's pretty much a back-to-back comparison. When I picked up my JLU after repair, I immediately noticed that the JLU managed the wind noise a lot better. Again, that was a back-to-back comparison.

But I want some objectivity, so a decibel meter will give me that. A measurement will factor out subjective hearing.
Sound level apps are available for Apple and Android phones

Bobby G

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I have driven Jeeps off and on for over 40 years (starting with a CJ5). Each has been 'better' in some respects including noise levels and drafts. You could say that Jeeps have become more civilized but reviewers still need to gripe. I invite them to drive a soft top cj in a New England winter where I would drive with an old blanket wrapped around the legs and spend time each week to bend the door frame to stop air rushing in. ...and i loved it all and still miss it!!

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

Just a little pet peeve of mine. Not pointing anyone out as I would have zero clue who complained about this. Rather it's a general observation that perplexes me. And that is wind noise. Whether it be soft top or hardtop "professional" reviews (you know the magazines) or interpretations of those that are on this very forum.

I cannot stand reading the opinion as a review of the Wrangler being loud. For one, it's a Jeep. It's basically a large brick traveling on 4 tires. Get over it. The new 2018 Wrangler is NOT loud. To me (I have a hardtop) it's the quietest Jeep I've EVER been in. I don't get it. Does anyone expect it to be as quiet as a vehicle that is really not designed from factory to go off road - the MAIN purpose of this Jeep. It's not designed to be a sleek street vehicle. It's just not.

Don't get me wrong - the Wrangler has come a LONG ways since the YJ. The YJ came a LONG way from the CJ's which came a LONG ways from the, etc. etc. all the way back to 1941. I've driven a variety of each (since CJ-5) and owned a TJ that I liked a lotnk but this JL is amazing in both refinement and "luxury" add on's. I feel the designers have done a painstakingly excellent job at retaining the best of the original looks and yet incorporated the refinement and a modernization of a vehicle. What other vehicles out there have done that without changing the overall look by much? Perhaps the Porsche 911 (albeit they rebadged it entirely). I cannot think of any others.

But that's not what this is about. It's that wind noise. If the journalists or anyone that perhaps dislikes their choice in vehicle selection due to wind noise, well, don't let the door hit you on your way out. That's just not what a Jeep is about. I hated my TJ after a while in town because it drove a bit rough to me but LOVED it off road. With my JL I get to experience that love in both settings. And any incapabilities off road can be made up for in the aftermarket. I like that about Jeep.

I'm done.

Disclaimers: this does NOT apply to anyone with any recall, TSB, or other factory issue. For those - I'd be royally pissed off as well (not at Jeep overall but rather that particular one they messed up building).
I'm not complaining because, hey, it's a Jeep, but to me my JL seems louder than my previous JK both with and without the hard top. Also, and I'm really struggling to figure this one out, the wind noise inside seems a bit louder with the hard top as opposed to the soft top. Started with the hard top, just switched back to hard top after the summer and that was my impression each time I switched. Still happy! I think maybe radio has a setting to compensate, i.e. lower and raise volume based on (speed? wind noise?) but I haven't looked at the manual or turned it on yet!

Sponsored

cjaama

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
My JL Rubi has a softop...it's a 2dr....It is very loud compared to my 13' JK Rubi. Not sure what happened on the design, but my 13' is like a cadillac and my JL is like a yugo......I'm currently looking for a hardtop. Jeep wants $2600 which is just crazy!
Try to find someone who’s building a 2 door in your area and is not planning on getting the dual tops. Pay them the difference, plus an incentive for their trouble.

Invoice/MSRP
$2043/$2295 for dual top group
- $530/$595 for premium top
= $1513/$1700 difference (assuming the other party is already planning to get the premium top)

Not condoning it for safety reasons, but I have tried ear plugs and not goggles but more of a wrap-around pair of sunglasses, and what a difference those make running topless and doorless in the wind.
I understand the safety concerns, but the opposite is actually true (at least while moving). Ear plugs deaden the wind noise and allow you to hear sounds like a horn honking or sirens.

Motorcyclists frequently use them for the same reason.

muskynut

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JLU SPORT-S
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, wind rushing in because the seals are faulty is a legitimate complaint, but just hearing the wind as it moves around the vehicle should be expected. The trick is determining what someone is actually hearing when they voice a complaint.

Back in the late 70's they called it "Flow through ventilation", it gets rid of all the stale air floating around inside....

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
Try to find someone who’s building a 2 door in your area and is not planning on getting the dual tops. Pay them the difference, plus an incentive for their trouble.

Invoice/MSRP
$2043/$2295 for dual top group
- $530/$595 for premium top
= $1513/$1700 difference (assuming the other party is already planning to get the premium top)

I understand the safety concerns, but the opposite is actually true (at least while moving). Ear plugs deaden the wind noise and allow you to hear sounds like a horn honking or sirens.

Motorcyclists frequently use them for the same reason.
Makes sense to me. They also deaden the sound of your wife complaining of the wind whipping her seatbelt and blowing her hair all around while you go 60 on the highway in 20 mph crosswinds!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Back in the late 70's they called it "Flow through ventilation", it gets rid of all the stale air floating around inside....
Now that I think of it, I don't remember ever seeing a CJ-5 or 7 with a top on (I know they do exist somewhere), only a CJ-8 with a hard top.

Jungle31

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ-7 and 2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
Hi Darrell,

Man, I'm with you, and not just on wind noise complaints. I've quietly read all the complaints about damned near everything and I am usually sitting here thinking, "Jesus, I hope Jeep doesn't read any of this because I sure don't want that 'fixed.'"

If you want 40 mpg, there are any number of cars that will do that.
If you want quiet, there are any number of cars that will do that.
If you want big interiors, get a truck or SUV.
If you want a car that handles like a BMW, get a BMW.

If you want a highly customizable convertible that can drive 85 MPH across the country with the a/c on and the tunes blasting and then climb up the side of a mountain through dense woods when you get there, buy a JL or JLU.

Seriously, this thing is an engineering marvel.

Thanks for the rant!
Beach 18.jpg

Sponsored

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Willys
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there,
i just picked up a JLU, this is the first wrangler i have ever owned. this thing is quit, my VW passat had more road noise so much so you couldn't hear passengers from the back seat. Now i will admit running at speeds of 75-80 i had the same issue with wind noise, it turned out that 2 of the 4 screws that fasten the windshield where very loose. The 2 that where about the fall out where the driver and passenger side, the 2 in the middle where snug. Once they were tight no more noise, go figure. The only reason i found that out was because i was running some wires and need to lower the windshield.

OP
OP
Firecracker18

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Wow - this thread really took off. Guess I hit a nerve. So for reference we went to Denver this past weekend...actually twice but that's a long story that involved buying a defunct new iPhone. Anyhow, Saturday the weather was high 50's, freeway clear. As we approached Denver the regular traffic speeds up beyond the 75 mph mark, I look down at one point and we're doing 90 just to keep up!!! In a Jeep!!! I backed off of course but - the top never sounded that loud. Sure, It was a bit louder than at lower speeds but it wasn't even loud enough to turn up the music that was set when we were going 50. I asked my spouse if it seemed loud..."no, not at all, why?" was the response. And we do not blast the music. In fact at times the music turned off because we were too lazy to find another album. Ha ha! By. the way, that's the first time I've been above 65.

I don't have the hardtop headliner. It's just a 39K Sport S bought off the lot with nothing changed yet (got it for much cheaper BTW). So what gives? It tells me that the freedom panels may have a manufacturing issue to where some are possibly warped or something and mine fit perfectly. OR some people aren't paying 100% attention to replacing said panels and the weatherstrip isn't seated correctly (really easy to do). And finally - some people are just expecting a Mercedes quiet cabin. I don't know.

Tonight I just asked my other half what they they thought of the noise...nada...no different than any other car. OK - perhaps a bit louder than the 2016 Honda Civic but not much...but it's a Jeep. Not enough that's it's annoying. Those were the words. That floored me coming from someone that being from NYC that will tell you EXACTLY their thoughts. Go (my) Jeep!

So those with sound issues; I'm sorry. I understand now reading through replies. I don't have an answer, however I would be pushing it with the dealer I guess and testing with some friends that aren't used to Jeeps or even those that are.

Last edited:

Blackwing 55

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Granite Crystal JLUR , 05 5.9 Dodge , 2014 Goldwing
Just a little pet peeve of mine. Not pointing anyone out as I would have zero clue who complained about this. Rather it's a general observation that perplexes me. And that is wind noise. Whether it be soft top or hardtop "professional" reviews (you know the magazines) or interpretations of those that are on this very forum.

I cannot stand reading the opinion as a review of the Wrangler being loud. For one, it's a Jeep. It's basically a large brick traveling on 4 tires. Get over it. The new 2018 Wrangler is NOT loud. To me (I have a hardtop) it's the quietest Jeep I've EVER been in. I don't get it. Does anyone expect it to be as quiet as a vehicle that is really not designed from factory to go off road - the MAIN purpose of this Jeep. It's not designed to be a sleek street vehicle. It's just not.

Don't get me wrong - the Wrangler has come a LONG ways since the YJ. The YJ came a LONG way from the CJ's which came a LONG ways from the, etc. etc. all the way back to 1941. I've driven a variety of each (since CJ-5) and owned a TJ that I liked a lot but this JL is amazing in both refinement and "luxury" add on's. I feel the designers have done a painstakingly excellent job at retaining the best of the original looks and yet incorporated the refinement and a modernization of a vehicle. What other vehicles out there have done that without changing the overall look by much? Perhaps the Porsche 911 (albeit they rebadged it entirely). I cannot think of any others.

But that's not what this is about. It's that wind noise. If the journalists or anyone that perhaps dislikes their choice in vehicle selection due to wind noise, well, don't let the door hit you on your way out. That's just not what a Jeep is about. I hated my TJ after a while in town because it drove a bit rough to me but LOVED it off road. With my JL I get to experience that love in both settings. And any incapabilities off road can be made up for in the aftermarket. I like that about Jeep.

I'm done.

Disclaimers: this does NOT apply to anyone with any recall, TSB, or other factory issue. For those - I'd be royally pissed off as well (not at Jeep overall but rather that particular one they messed up building).
I agree 100% and although my JLUR does have a little wind noise at high speed or high winds its minimal compared to the late model king ranch ford pickup I drive for work. I believe these winey people complaining about wind noise in a Jeep really don't belong in a Jeep.

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve always heard about jeeps and wind noise. Got in to one and was pleasantly surprised at how quiet it was. I guess the hype was so bad I expected to not even hear the radio. This is nothing. I can hear the radio, carrying on a normal conversation with a passenger and talk on a Bluetooth phone with the recipient having no problems hearing me.

OP
OP
Firecracker18

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
You get it. So do many others. I'm with you all. And yes, the complaints keep rolling in. The thing is Jeep was never meant to be a full time on pavement road vehicle. That's what people are demanding now and Jeep has done their best at trying to balance both worlds. Jeep has done an amazing job with that. Amazing. And yet people don't appreciate it. Shame. :(

Hi Darrell,

Man, I'm with you, and not just on wind noise complaints. I've quietly read all the complaints about damned near everything and I am usually sitting here thinking, "Jesus, I hope Jeep doesn't read any of this because I sure don't want that 'fixed.'"

If you want 40 mpg, there are any number of cars that will do that.
If you want quiet, there are any number of cars that will do that.
If you want big interiors, get a truck or SUV.
If you want a car that handles like a BMW, get a BMW.

If you want a highly customizable convertible that can drive 85 MPH across the country with the a/c on and the tunes blasting and then climb up the side of a mountain through dense woods when you get there, buy a JL or JLU.

Seriously, this thing is an engineering marvel.

Thanks for the rant!
Beach 18.jpg
Sponsored