First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I didn't even spring for Premium soft top, the regular soft top is quiet enough for me.

But I like hearing the wind, and the rain on the soft top, I also really like hearing the wind topless, was actually topless on the way to work this morning...39 degrees out :) yes, I got many looks lol, I just look and shake my head...yup

A jeep without wind noise...HAHA good one.
Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
I do find some reviews to have a snobbish point of view. Like how when the JKs went from the 3.8 to the 3.6 liter engines... A gain of 80 Hp and a 2 MPG boost in fuel economy, the Consumer Reports people still complained about "Sluggish acceleration and poor fuel economy" and even with the improvements of the JL they're still saying it....

One of the smoothest vehicles I've ever driven is the 2019 Ram Rebel, and I'm pretty sure some car snob is going to find some kind of first world problem with the 12 inch touch screen or ETorque or something of the matter because its not a Rolls Royce that feeds them with a pure silver spoon full of the finest caviar... :facepalm:

Getting off my soapbox now....
Dont get meon a consumer reports soapbox. Them and some other mags are pretty inconsistent talking anout acceleration.. when the bwm M2 came out one of those sites said it had "ok aceleration and handling"..oh ok. Better than the previous M3 and in the same category as american muscle upgrade models but they slighost ted it for some reason.

Also tires have a noticeably impact on cabin noise.

Coming from a BMW M3 that was really quiet on the highway, I have no problem with my JLUR soft and hard top noise. Yeah soft top has noise. Its a soft top. Hard top seems comparzble to a lot of other sedans rentals and vehicles Ive driven. It is not the quietest, but it doesnt concern me a bit.

WLFMOON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2013 Jeep JK Rubicon
My JL Rubi has a softop...it's a 2dr....It is very loud compared to my 13' JK Rubi. Not sure what happened on the design, but my 13' is like a cadillac and my JL is like a yugo......I'm currently looking for a hardtop. Jeep wants $2600 which is just crazy!

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
But I like hearing the wind, and the rain on the soft top, I also really like hearing the wind topless, was actually topless on the way to work this morning...39 degrees out :) yes, I got many looks lol, I just look and shake my head...yup .A jeep without wind noise...HAHA good one.
I'm with you . Also it is best to drive during a snow blizzard topless .

jeep snow a.jpg

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
I had an '07 JKU, A 13 JKU and now the 18' JLUR.. The JL is quieter and better in every way.. So these snobby reviewers can shove it... Also as a rule of thumb in life, everything consumer reports says is bullshit, about anything...

JLU4TJ

I had a 2013 JK 2 door with a hard top and it was bouncy and loud...and admittedly, I wasn't prepared for it...and on the freeway...well it's not even worth mentioning....it was loud.

NOW, I am coming back to Jeep, ordered a 2019 JLU Rubicon with the Hard Top and I also ordered the Jeep Headliner Inserts...thinking this may not only help with insulation but also road noise around town or on the freeway.

Do any of you have the Hard Top Headliner and find that it makes a difference?

Last edited by a moderator:

American Jeeper

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Software & cloud services
Vehicle Showcase
That's me , deaf .

What is wind noise ?

I never hear any wind noise .
Not condoning it for safety reasons, but I have tried ear plugs and not goggles but more of a wrap-around pair of sunglasses, and what a difference those make running topless and doorless in the wind.

Sponsored

Beartooth

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unl Rubicon; 2018 JK Unl Sport; 1976 CJ-7 V8
I currently have a 2018 JKUS and 2018 JLUR, both with the 3-piece Freedom hardtop. The 2018 JK wind noise is slightly louder than the JL. The 2018 JK seems about same amount of wind noise as my last JK.

In my opinion, the JL hardtop seals tighter and is a better oversall designed hardtop than previous versions. The first thing I noticed driving the JL was less wind noise.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
They should make everyone drive around with the top and doors off first, then put the top on later. It will be relatively quiet or they will be deaf and not notice.
That’s exactly right. My Jeep has two volumes: noisy (top down and doors off) and quieter (top up and doors on).

That being said, those who buy a Wrangler and then complain it’s not very quiet at high rates of speed have completely missed the point and probably should have bought an Explorer.

OP
OP
Firecracker18

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Wow - glad to see that I'm not the only one. I had some good laughs reading these posts, realized that yes, some may have an actual problem (hence my disclaimers), and mostly that everyone's experience is quite individual based on their expectations and experience.

What I like most about the. replies...most are from Jeepsters that I haven't seen post on other topics and yet the ones I've seen post the most throughout the forum haven't posted...hmmm. It's a peasant change.

lagunajim

If anyone would ask me, I would tell them that a Jeep is very likely the loudest cabin-noise vehicle on the market, hardtop or ragtop. Also often a bit leaky in hard rain.

Also among the most fun vehicles ever to own, on or off road use.

And finally, if you do a lot of highway driving, it is not your vehicle.

cnyjl

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Billet JLUR, 2019 Ram Rebel Crew, 2019 HD FLTRXS, 2018 HD FLFBS ANV
My JLU hard top is definitely louder than my Jk was and is accompanied by an irritating buffeting noise above 70 mph, like one window is cranked a little, Don't really care, the hard top will come off as soon as the snows gone, and probably will be sold instead of put on the jeep again. The premium soft top is much quieter than the hardtop on mine.
Sponsored