OP
OP
SadRobot

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
If you go back out try the Chesler Park hike in the needles part of canyon land....you could also drive elephant hill. Trail heads are right next to each other.
My campsite was right next to the Elephant Hill entrance. It looks like a fun and challenging trail. Maybe next time!
Sponsored

OP
OP
SadRobot

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Tower Arch is one of my favorite trails out there. Bummer you couldn’t complete it on your trip. You will just have to go again and knock it out! Looks like you had a blast!
Tower Arch was my original plan for Day 2 but @COJeeper had some friends in town and I'm always up for meeting new peeps so decided to do that instead. I'll be back to do Tower Arch one day!

Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
D6: Canyonlands

This was another early day as I wanted to go to Mesa Arch at sunrise. After that I drove around the Island in The Sky district and then had a 2 hour drive to my campsite in the Needles district on the opposite side of the park. Before I headed to camp I decided to drive part of Shafer Canyon Road that leads down into the canyon.

Jeep Wrangler JL A Jeep, a Girl and a Pizza Place (LA to Utah) -- Trip Journal hottub

Jeep Wrangler JL A Jeep, a Girl and a Pizza Place (LA to Utah) -- Trip Journal hottub

I made it to my campsite and decided to go for a hike. The weather looked like this when I started:

and then the storm came in. I ran back to camp since I had left all my stuff sitting out. I jammed what I could into the Jeep and everything else I just put underneath.

I waited out the storm and eventually it cleared up and I was able to get a campfire going.

Just curious how far away are you from town in case of emergency ? I love the trail looks great from up above. Love to make that trip that would be a blast

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Those trails look like alltrains would be better than mud tires

OP
OP
SadRobot

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Just curious how far away are you from town in case of emergency ? I love the trail looks great from up above. Love to make that trip that would be a blast
The Island In the Sky District is about 45 minutes from Moab. The Needle District is about an hour and a half. Most days I had no cell service at all.

For this trip I picked up an InReach Mini 2 in case of emergencies. It's a monthly service and I have the cheapest emergency plan they had so I an send out a txt or hit the SOS if needed.

My biggest fear was my recalled clutch going out on a remote road somewhere so I wanted to be able to reach someone if that happened.

OP
OP
SadRobot

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Those trails look like alltrains would be better than mud tires
I have the BFG KO2 All Terrains. I'm told it does get muddy out there but there was barely any mud or wet ground last week.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
The Island In the Sky District is about 45 minutes from Moab. The Needle District is about an hour and a half. Most days I had no cell service at all.

For this trip I picked up an InReach Mini 2 in case of emergencies. It's a monthly service and i have the cheapest emergency plan they had so I an send out a txt or hit the SOS if needed.

My biggest fear was my recalled clutch going out on a remote road somewhere so I wanted to be able to reach someone if that happened.
I figured you'd have no cell service. At least it's only 45 minutes back somewhere then that's good. I remember when I broke my back at the sand dunes on my RZR we were way out in the middle of it and they had a ambulance set up with the RZR and getting me back to land in town It was really rough. Every time they hit a bumped my back would hurt then they care flighted me out. It took about at least 30 minutes to get me back to town with that setup they had

Sponsored

OP
OP
SadRobot

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
I figured you'd have no cell service. At least it's only 45 minutes back somewhere then that's good. I remember when I broke my back at the sand dunes on my RZR we were way out in the middle of it and they had a ambulance set up with the RZR and getting me back to land in town It was really rough. Every time they hit a bumped my back would hurt then they care flighted me out. It took about at least 30 minutes to get me back to town with that setup they had
Yikes! Yeah hospitals are scarce out there. Living in a huge city I'm never more than like 10/15 minutes away from a hospital so it's kind of unsettling to travel through areas where a hospital could be 2-3 hours away.

Hope you've since recovered!

Last edited:

Sidewalk

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR
I go out to SW Utah a few times a year to mountain bike. I always want to go wheeling, but I ain't got no time fo dat when I am riding my bike :LOL:

Maybe someday I will leave my bike behind and just bring my running shoes. Maybe.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
What a fun trip! Your Jeep and your adventures remind me of the instagrammer @makehermean

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Moki Dugway was a lot shorter than I thought it was going to be and I wish the weather had been a little bit clearer. There was a haze over the valley so I wasn't able to get any amazing pictures.

I kind of regret not driving all of Shafer but I was worried about time and getting over to the Needles District to set up my camp.

Canyonlands is huge. I'd like to go back and check out The Maze district at some point and actually do some hiking there.
Hoping to hit Arches in the morning, then Shafer and Moki if there's time. Overnight will be in Monument Valley.

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

If you go back out try the Chesler Park hike in the needles part of canyon land....you could also drive elephant hill. Trail heads are right next to each other.
I second Elephant Hill - bring a friend or 2, it is very remote. The day we did it we didn't see anybody the entire day
Sponsored