Sponsored

A-hole Dealer on the Phone

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Is that why they followed up, because they didn't want/need a sale from me? You know what they say about assuming right? Both of the other dealers made the wrong assumption, period. A sale is a sale, the salesperson wasn't going to benefit from the extra $500 the dealer I ordered from gave up, it would not have been a waste of time to ask the question the third dealer did, what would it take to earn your business? The answer was, not much, mostly just being concerned enough to ask, and a token sum. Good Luck with your version... In all three cases, there were salespeople standing around the sales floor doing nothing.
If they followed up than they aren't as shitty as you're complaining about. It's funny how you can write a paragraph and not actually address anything said. What "wrong" assumption did they make? If they opted for a different customer they'd make more profit on than they made the right choice. Period. Just because that hurts your feelings doesn't mean it's not right for them.

My "version" is simply how car sales is. They will always flock to the best lead they have. It's not a hard concept to grasp. My own personal reality of dealing with car sales is researching high volume dealers online and being respectful when I make my approach. Ironically I've had zero issues, great salesmen and a no haggle process throughout. One of the amusing things about these types of threads is usually those filled with condescension are the loudest ones complaining. Familiarity breeds contempt.
Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
This is not true. I had my deal, 1500 under MSRP, completely done through e-mail.
Of course many dealers will do that. Which is why coming on here to complain that some don't is a headscratcher. Give the good dealers business. It's not like there isn't a thousand posts already detailing who's no haggle and where they're located in this forum.

drichard989

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08KK, 21JLU
Occupation
Sales Engineer
The Dealer model needs to go the wayside. There is no value to the transaction the dealer sales process adds.

COJLGirl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4x4...
The Dealer model needs to go the wayside. There is no value to the transaction the dealer sales process adds.
And many of them don’t know shit about the product they are attempting to sell.

Sponsored

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
They will always flock to the best lead they have. It's not a hard concept to grasp.
So then what happened in my case if the concept isn't so hard. Please explain. I am just trying to figure out then why I had the same douchebag experience as the OP with the first two dealers I contacted and the sales folks were rude and didn't want to give me the time of day. I had $50K cash ready to wire and was ready to buy that day and I made that perfectly clear to them. Isn't that a good "lead". Just curious in your mind the definition of a good lead? Obviously the guy at the dealership I actually bought from thought my lead was good.

Please stop trying to defend dealership and salespeople and make the OP out to be the bad guy. Glad you have been lucky but your strategy does not always work and it isn't some "magical" touch that you have. We all know there are THOUSANDS of examples of shitty dealers and shitty salespeople. The industry sadly has the biggest % of crap.

One last thing - "One of the amusing things about these types of threads is usually those filled with condescension", wow you should look up the definition of hypocrisy. Could you actually be more condescending.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
So then what happened in my case if the concept isn't so hard. Please explain. I am just trying to figure out then why I had the same douchebag experience as the OP with the first two dealers I contacted and the sales folks were rude and didn't want to give me the time of day. I had $50K cash ready to wire and was ready to buy that day and I made that perfectly clear to them. Isn't that a good "lead". Just curious in your mind the definition of a good lead? Obviously the guy at the dealership I actually bought from thought my lead was good.

Please stop trying to defend dealership and salespeople and make the OP out to be the bad guy. Glad you have been lucky but your strategy does not always work and it isn't some "magical" touch that you have. We all know there are THOUSANDS of examples of shitty dealers and shitty salespeople. The industry sadly has the biggest % of crap.

One last thing - "One of the amusing things about these types of threads is usually those filled with condescension", wow you should look up the definition of hypocrisy. Could you actually be more condescending.
The thing is I'm talking about the industry in general terms. All I'm saying is that in general if you don't appear to be a serious buyer to a dealer than most of the time you're not going to be taken seriously. People make it clear they're "ready to buy today" all the time at dealerships. It really doesn't hold much weight when every other customer says the same thing. If you're one of ten people to say that in a day and the only one who means it of the ten than statistically it's not worth the dealers time to treat every one of those ten as a serious buyer. You and others in this thread take this personally when you should take emotions out of a car purchase completely. It's business on both ends. They're trying to make more money, you're trying to save more money. It's nothing personal.

A good lead to a dealer is somebody who's a serious buyer. What constitutes a serious buyer in most dealers eyes? Someone who shows they're serious rather than just talks about how serious they are. Show how serious you are by either running a credit check with the dealership or show up with a cashiers check of the approximate amount your budget is on a specific vehicle. I'm sure you had honest intentions when you said you were ready to buy today and OP did with his phone call but statistically speaking the large majority of people who say these things are lying. Sure, they may have lost money with you and the OP specifically but statistically they're coming out ahead over the long term since most people using the terms aren't serious or are cross-shopping with 10 other dealers in the area. Many dealerships evidently opt not to race to the bottom of the barrel regarding price.

I'm not "defending dealerships" as much as I am pointing out the realities you have to deal with when making a car purchase. The way you present yourself and your interactions make a huge difference in the way you'll be treated. If you took your emotions out of this and looked at my posts objectively you'd see I'm trying to help admittedly in a blunt fashion. If you present yourself as a timewaster to a dealership it doesn't matter how serious you actually are. They're going to treat you as a timewaster. Your specific interactions is different than the OPs but I can promise that calling and asking "what is your best price?" will get you no where with 99% of dealerships out there unless you show your face. Your interactions with a dealership will also be better if you have cash in hand(which means a credit report they can view or a cashiers check.) Saying you have cash in hand is not the same as showing. The saying "talk is cheap" applies here.

If you read Ridgeways posts since he joined you'd understand why he wasn't treated with much respect. Hence the quote aimed directly at him and condescension. The hypocrisy in this regard is completely intentional.

Last edited:

dave2002ti

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 WK2
A good starting point for a Jeep is join Tread Lightly and the right membership level so that you get 1% under invoice even for order.

Dave Apker

astglenn

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Anyone ever encounter a salesman who refused to give a quote over the phone?

Just reached out to a dealer in the NY area who has 4xe’s in stock and seemingly low prices on them at least according to their lease calculator... I currently have an order for a Willys but have been seeing some competitive prices on 4xe’s so wanted to see how they compare... Anyway, he said they are “selling like hot cakes” so they don’t need to give quotes over the phone!?! And he basically laughed at me when I said he might be losing a sale.

I live over an hour away so was hoping to get a price since I am not going in not having any idea on pricing.
I totally understand your frustration. What has worked for me is to get through to the sales manager and try to get some form of relationship started. “I would like to develop an actual conversation that leads to a customer / Jeep Store transaction” If the manager is worth talking with, you should be able to explain the difficulties you have regarding distance etc. if you are just price shopping, (Like I have done) I think we represent the worst scenario for the dealerships, in their space. As much as modern business is a non-contact, impersonal, zero loyalty model, it is the head to head relationship (at whatever level) that makes for a good transaction. There it is. Thats my shot. You, me and everyone are going to pay big for these vehicles. Thats just a fact of the supply-demand structure. I get it. Done it with a new JL last year. Good luck!
Sponsored