A-hole Dealer on the Phone

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Anyone ever encounter a salesman who refused to give a quote over the phone?

Just reached out to a dealer in the NY area who has 4xe’s in stock and seemingly low prices on them at least according to their lease calculator... I currently have an order for a Willys but have been seeing some competitive prices on 4xe’s so wanted to see how they compare... Anyway, he said they are “selling like hot cakes” so they don’t need to give quotes over the phone!?! And he basically laughed at me when I said he might be losing a sale.

I live over an hour away so was hoping to get a price since I am not going in not having any idea on pricing.
Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
A lot of dealers won't give pricing over the phone as it's just their policy. Stupid, but many are that way here.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Car salespeople are not always the brightest bunch. I just ordered a new truck. I spoke to the salesman at the closest dealer, the one I bought my current truck from a couple years ago. He told me orders were at msrp. I called the next closest. That salesman told me the same but that they couldn't even order '22's yet, which is incorrect. Walked into a third dealer last Saturday and asked them about ordering, same msrp line. I told them I would just order from the closest to home dealer then and began to walk out. He stopped me, went and talked with the manager and offered me an under msrp price. I ordered the truck. The first dealer emailed me yesterday asking if I had any questions and if I was still in the market. I simply told him his competitor offered me a better deal and thanks for the follow up.

They are all feeling their oats right now. The used home market is no different, sellers are being unreasonable because they think they can. Unfortunately, they are getting away with it more often than not these days.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Try their internet sales dept via email.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car salespeople are not always the brightest bunch. I just ordered a new truck. I spoke to the salesman at the closest dealer, the one I bought my current truck from a couple years ago. He told me orders were at msrp. I called the next closest. That salesman told me the same but that they couldn't even order '22's yet, which is incorrect. Walked into a third dealer last Saturday and asked them about ordering, same msrp line. I told them I would just order from the closest to home dealer then and began to walk out. He stopped me, went and talked with the manager and offered me an under msrp price. I ordered the truck. The first dealer emailed me yesterday asking if I had any questions and if I was still in the market. I simply told him his competitor offered me a better deal and thanks for the follow up.

They are all feeling their oats right now. The used home market is no different, sellers are being unreasonable because they think they can. Unfortunately, they are getting away with it more often than not these days.
The dealer prices on Jeep’s are all over the map so I don’t see how someone could just spend that much time going in to dealers and not getting some idea on pricing beforehand. I did before I ordered my Willys and one local dealer in person was quoting me over $100 more per month for the same exact car than another local dealer over the phone.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The dealer prices on Jeep’s are all over the map so I don’t see how someone could just spend that much time going in to dealers and not getting some idea on pricing beforehand. I did before I ordered my Willys and one local dealer in person was quoting me over $100 more per month for the same exact car than another local dealer over the phone.
Haven’t had any luck with
Haven’t had any luck on that as they always hand me off to a salesperson

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Never get a monthly payment quote. You’ll have no idea what you are paying. Always get a cash sale price quote, then tell them that you will figure out your own payment based on the bottom line sales price.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Never get a monthly payment quote. You’ll have no idea what you are paying. Always get a cash sale price quote. and tell them that you will figure out your own payment based on the bottom line sales price.
Even on a lease?

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
Haven’t had any luck with

Haven’t had any luck on that as they always hand me off to a salesperson
I am not too far away from you (live in Deer Park). Which one of our area dealers was this? Try Westbury Jeep or Empire CJDR in Islip. Westbury tends to be pretty good about these things but their service guys are nightmare. Empire has bad sales guys but their service guys are very easy going.

OP
OP
JeepLeap

JeepLeap

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am not too far away from you (live in Deer Park). Which one of our area dealers was this? Try Westbury Jeep or Empire CJDR in Islip. Westbury tends to be pretty good about these things but their service guys are nightmare. Empire has bad sales guys but their service guys are very easy going.
My visit to Westbury was awful... that was the one that was $100 more in lease payments per month with everything else being equal.

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
My visit to Westbury was awful... that was the one that was $100 more in lease payments per month with everything else being equal.
Try Security CJDR in Amityville or Smith Haven CJDR in Smithtown. People say good things about these two also. Better to pay them an in person visit if possible. Or a phone call at the minimum.

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
It's normally because the price isn't real, and includes every available rebate stacked on each other. If you go to a volume dealer through the internet manager they'll be more likely to do it.

I've called dealers and told them I need an OTD price on a listing for a truck for our company so I could get a check cut by accounting to come over and pick it up, and they always refuse.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Even on a lease?
I didn’t see in your post that you were leasing. But yeah, even on a lease. You need to know the cash sales price, the residual value and the cap cost reduction to figure the payment.

More people get screwed over on leases because they have no idea what the real numbers are, other than the payment.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Even on a lease?
For a lease get the capitalization cost and the residual value the lease is based on. That will allow you to compare better between deals. Sum of payments + residual - capitalization = lease costs (finance charges, fees, taxes, etc).

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Make sure you go on the edmunds lease forums and find out the RV and MF in your zip. That way they can't try to pad the numbers in a four square.

leasehackr has a great calculator that can build the deal for you, just don't show them the print out, cause first rule of leasehackr....

If you don't have affiliate through work, sign up for Tread Lightly today, takes 30 days to activiate.
Sponsored