A good review on EcoDiesel Jeep JL - Savage Geese

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I find these guys to be brutally honest with a lot of reviews, so it's a little more helpful I think. Here's their latest, and it's about the JL EcoDiesel!

We review the new 2020 JL Jeep Wrangler Diesel which adds another engine option to the mix. In the video, we will talk about the good and bad things about how the new Jeep drives and why you would buy it given the cost. With the Ford Bronco on its way the Wrangler may have more competition however, this Jeep has a huge head start.

Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
I find these guys to be brutally honest with a lot of reviews, so it's a little more helpful I think. Here's their latest, and it's about the JL EcoDiesel!

I would have paid double what they are charging for the diesel option. But I do agree it is spendy as is.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I would have paid double what they are charging for the diesel option. But I do agree it is spendy as is.
Yea but the mischaracterization of the premium for it in the video has been repeated too many times...it’s not a $6000 option for the engine unless you were set on a 3.6/6MT otherwise. I also disagree with their impression of the sound system having run the 8.4/premium sound in my JLUR for 18 months...maybe the soft top is so much louder that it drowns out the sound, but I’ve been quite happy with it in my hard top.

porcusRex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru
i suspect they are looking at this somewhat how i look at it. If i could get the jeep of my choice, it would be a 2 door rubicon with a stick shift and the only option would be a 3 piece hard top. now if i want the diesel, in a perfect world, that would be an option to the 2 door. and i could get it with the 6 speed. i'm guessing 2 to 2.5k additional cost.

however, if i want a diesel rubicon, i need to upgrade to a 4 door, with an automatic transmission. From what i can tell (jeep build tool doesnt have the diesel option currently, only has the 2.0 turbo) the additional cost would be somewhere around 10k (and this assumes i could get a discount off invoice).

Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
i suspect they are looking at this somewhat how i look at it. If i could get the jeep of my choice, it would be a 2 door rubicon with a stick shift and the only option would be a 3 piece hard top. now if i want the diesel, in a perfect world, that would be an option to the 2 door. and i could get it with the 6 speed. i'm guessing 2 to 2.5k additional cost.

however, if i want a diesel rubicon, i need to upgrade to a 4 door, with an automatic transmission. From what i can tell (jeep build tool doesnt have the diesel option currently, only has the 2.0 turbo) the additional cost would be somewhere around 10k (and this assumes i could get a discount off invoice).
For your unique case, probably fair. For the *majority* of Wrangler sales I think their $6K number is a bit skewed. The overwhelming majority of Wrangler sales are 4dr and the overwhelming majority of those sales are auto trans (I like stick myself but let's not kid ourselves about what's actually selling). So, considering that, *most* buyers would be looking at a ~$4K upcharge over the typical A/T equipped 4-dr Wrangler.

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have no trouble taking a call in my JLUR manual soft top. Road noise is not an obstacle to the UConnect playing the conversation over my 9-speaker Alpine. Love the diesel option, but I prefer a manual trans.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
For your unique case, probably fair. For the *majority* of Wrangler sales I think their $6K number is a bit skewed. The overwhelming majority of Wrangler sales are 4dr and the overwhelming majority of those sales are auto trans (I like stick myself but let's not kid ourselves about what's actually selling). So, considering that, *most* buyers would be looking at a ~$4K upcharge over the typical A/T equipped 4-dr Wrangler.
Not to mention the fact that the automatic is $2,750 with non-diesel motors. That makes the diesel premium only $3,250.

Sponsored

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
Not to mention the fact that the automatic is $2,750 with non-diesel motors. That makes the diesel premium only $3,250.
Only with the non-eTorque V6. It's as low as $1500 with the non-eTorque 2.0. So a $4500 premium, depending on your perspective.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Thanks for stopping by to troll. :)
People are allowed to have their opinions, not sure if you know.

I'm going to sleep well knowing I won't buy a diesel, made in Italy, by FCA no less, that's 70% new because they couldn't get it right when it was 100% new. For all anyone knows, this could be 170% trouble down the track.

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
People are allowed to have their opinions, not sure if you know.

I'm going to sleep well knowing I won't buy a diesel, made in Italy, by FCA no less, that's 70% new because they couldn't get it right when it was 100% new. For all anyone knows, this could be 170% trouble down the track.
Hopefully beating dead horses helps you sleep at night too! :like: