Sponsored

A few first time new wrangler owner questions.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
any downside to keeping it on 4wd auto all the time? mpg?
MPG is a little less, not much (maybe 1-2 MPG). I personally prefer to leave in 2H on clean, dry pavement. If any chance of it becoming slippery (rain, snow, ice, gravel, sand, etc) I go with 4H Auto. Works for me.
Sponsored

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
any downside to keeping it on 4wd auto all the time? mpg?
@robaw may be confused. Running in 4h on paved road over a period of time when road surfaces arenā€™t loose, wet or slick will likely result in damage. Your Jeep is not a Quattro and your 4h is not designed for that. 2h will be fine for 99% of your on road driving.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
@robaw may be confused. Running in 4h on paved road over a period of time when road surfaces arenā€™t loose, wet or slick will likely result in damage. Your Jeep is not a Quattro and your 4h is not designed for that. 2h will be fine for 99% of your on road driving.
Not trying to get into an argument here, but if my statement was not true, why does Selec-Trac have 2 different 4H modes (auto and part time)? Here's what the owner's manual has to say...
9E4BD3F6-972E-4CF8-BD48-5D0FCDB794D5.jpeg

Reactions: JC7

JC7

First Name
Jdog
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Not trying to get into an argument here, but if my statement was not true, why does Selec-Trac have 2 different 4H modes (auto and part time)? Here's what the owner's manual has to say...
9E4BD3F6-972E-4CF8-BD48-5D0FCDB794D5.jpeg
I didn't know that select track had that. Good stuff!

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
4H Auto would be good when road conditions vary a lot from packed snow to bare tar and everything in between. PT 4H or Auto 4H will both reduce MPG. I use 4H leaving the house when snowing so I'm not sliding around corners and slipping at stop signs/lights to get going. Once out of the neighborhood and on the highway(s) to work that are more traveled and the snow is worn off the road, I go back to 2H.

Last edited:

Sponsored

EchoCharlie1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR; '17 F-250 FX4 Platinum; '15 Tesla S 85D; '15 Volvo XC60 T6; '16 Ducati Monster 1200R; '09 Vans RV-6
Occupation
Navy "Mustang" (ret); Engineering Manager, Space/Maritime Programs
Being a Floridian...whatā€™s snow? Asking for a friend? :CWL:

KrzybonesJLU

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU SPORT S, 2024 WILLY's
@arikirschenbaum if you are asking about the transfer case and 4 wheel drive you might want to YouTube some stuff on how and when to use 4wheel drive. There are some really Good videos explaining everything that everyone posted. Iā€™m a first time owner and had all of the same questions you had. This video should help since you have the 4h auto

EchoCharlie1

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR; '17 F-250 FX4 Platinum; '15 Tesla S 85D; '15 Volvo XC60 T6; '16 Ducati Monster 1200R; '09 Vans RV-6
Occupation
Navy "Mustang" (ret); Engineering Manager, Space/Maritime Programs
I believe down there you call it cocaine
Ah yes...it comes up on the beaches of south FL in the form of floating bales. :CWL:

I can see the need for 4WD on the beaches then.

Fortunately, in the northern part of the state, we donā€™t have that problem. Every 10 years or so, weā€™ll see a dusting of real snow come across the state line and people go nuts.

Recoil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary JLU
My understanding is that 4H Auto is fine to drive in. When engaged, it's actually 2H until it detects slippage.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong though.

Sponsored

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
Fortunately, in the northern part of the state, we donā€™t have that problem. Every 10 years or so, weā€™ll see a dusting of real snow come across the state line and people go nuts.
$hit, I live well north of you near Charlotte. We usually get snow / ice a couple times a year but people still loose their freaking minds!!!

Even a mention of possible snow on the news brings a zombie apocalypse response of milk & bread hoarding :LOL:

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
Regarding #5ā€¦
Just remember that on many JLā€™s, 4x4 it's a part-time system and it's not recommended to use it on blacktop. There needs to be some wheel-slip possible when turning to avoid binding the drivetrain.

hi all,
i'm a first time jeep owner, just got my 2019 sahara last week with sky touch and love it.
a few quick questions.
1. how can i keep the screen on when i turn the radio off? in the meantime, i simply keep the volume to 0 just to keep it on. (screen goes off when i click the radio off)
2. living in ny with snow etc. whats the best way to clear snow off sky top without damaging and can i leave snow on top or will it ruin canvas or leak after sitting for a while?
3. come spring, does the auto wheel/seat heating feature turn off automatically or do i have to set manually?
4. when connected via bluetooth, i can hear my music but not my cell phone voice notes (on whatsapp)
5. last question, if i choose to use 4wd for all my city driving, does it use more fuel or no different then just 2wd?
thank you!
Sponsored