Sponsored

A couple of wiring to battery vs fuse vs ignition questions

JLR_AEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon AEV Outfitted
Car electronics has not been my strongest suit only because of all the cars I have owned I never really needed to dive into this subject....until now :jk:

What I am trying to do: Add a usb port
I understand that I can connect to the battery so its always hot even when the car is off.

The 2nd option is running the power cable(red)using a fuse tap. The current cable provided with the usb outlet has a 10amp fuse. If I were to use the fuse box to tap it into an 'ignition on' fuse do I need to tap it into one with similar amperage(10amps)? Or can I find any 'ignition on' fuse regardless of the amperage and tap the usb power cable there?

3rd option is tapping into an ignition wire directly. Can I use any ignition wire to tap the usb power cable to it so when I start the car, the newly added usb outlet is on? How do I know which one is an ignition wire? 😕

Trying to avoid going with the always on option connected to the battery. Tapping to a fuse box seems the safest. And tapping into ignition wire thinking about it now seems impossible since we don't really know which wire that could be. Just trying to find the safest route here.

Note: I do not have the AUX panel package nor do I have the Tow package

Thank you in advance and I hope my questions made sense. I should know this subject by now :facepalm:
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

The 2nd option is running the power cable(red)using a fuse tap. The current cable provided with the usb outlet has a 10amp fuse. If I were to use the fuse box to tap it into an 'ignition on' fuse do I need to tap it into one with similar amperage(10amps)? Or can I find any 'ignition on' fuse regardless of the amperage and tap the usb power cable there?
You want to tap into a fuse with the same or higher amp rating. Most people tap into the heated seat fuse or the cigar lighter fuse.