Sponsored

A/C works with the switch off

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Anniversary
I have a 2021 with the 8.4” Uconnect and the automatic temperature control. I normally drive home from work with the ac off and windows open, but today it was just too hot. I had the ac on and everything works/cools really good. When i turned up my driveway I turned the ac switch off (indicator light off in the button)but cold air kept blowing even after you expect the last of the cold from the evaporator to be gone. When I parked I opened the hood to see if the compressor was still engaged and it was. Fan speed was on 5, auto was turned off , ac switch was off and the temperature was on Lo.
I noticed if I turned the fan speed to 3 or below the ac/compressor cuts off and blows unconditioned air, turn fan speed to 4 or above and ac turns back on even with the ac button turned off.
I’ve never had an automatic climate system like this before and dont know if this is normal operation.
Sponsored

TJHUB

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
I don't know about the fan settings, but I too noticed my '21 will blow A/C in auto mode with the A/C off. I find it strange that it does that, but I've just decided it must be how it works in auto mode.

yuriy

First Name
Yuriy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 rubicon 392
I have a 2021 with the 8.4” Uconnect and the automatic temperature control. I normally drive home from work with the ac off and windows open, but today it was just too hot. I had the ac on and everything works/cools really good. When i turned up my driveway I turned the ac switch off (indicator light off in the button)but cold air kept blowing even after you expect the last of the cold from the evaporator to be gone. When I parked I opened the hood to see if the compressor was still engaged and it was. Fan speed was on 5, auto was turned off , ac switch was off and the temperature was on Lo.
I noticed if I turned the fan speed to 3 or below the ac/compressor cuts off and blows unconditioned air, turn fan speed to 4 or above and ac turns back on even with the ac button turned off.
I’ve never had an automatic climate system like this before and dont know if this is normal operation.
Were you able to find out if that’s normal?

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Just noticed this yesterday.....will investigate..

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I'd have to play with it, but I think auto mode over rides the A/C button.

In order to actually have manual control, you have to get out of Auto:

Jeep Wrangler JL A/C works with the switch off 1657724356707

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
So it turns out on the JL, you can’t turn the compressor completely off. The software will turn it on whether you want it to or not.

OP
OP

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mine is consistent in that if the outside temp is hot and I have the fan on "4" the ac turns on when I put it in park, not if the fan is on "3". I dont really trust the dealer to give a good answer as they brush you off unless its broken, so I'm taking it as this is normal after my 2nd summer

Canucklesammich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
My guess: if it's on auto, it's gonna try to maintain a set temperature (determined by the red/blue knob settings). The fact that it kept blowing cold when the knob was on "low" seems to indicate that.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I'd have to play with it, but I think auto mode over rides the A/C button.

In order to actually have manual control, you have to get out of Auto:

Jeep Wrangler JL A/C works with the switch off 1657724356707
Yes, when the system is in AUTO mode, the AC light does not light up even if AC is being called upon. At least that's how mine works. If you are not in Auto mode, then the AC button seems to work as expected to enage/disengage AC and it lights up accordingly.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Yes, when the system is in AUTO mode, the AC light does not light up even if AC is being called upon. At least that's how mine works. If you are not in Auto mode, then the AC button seems to work as expected to enage/disengage AC and it lights up accordingly.
It doesn’t. If you have the temp set low, Auto turned off, and A/C turned off, the compressor may still kick on.

Sponsored

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
It doesn’t. If you have the temp set low, Auto turned off, and A/C turned off, the compressor may still kick on.
Correct. Mine does this too.

It doesn’t make any sense to me, but could it be related to cooling for the eTorque system? It seems to happen only with the engine needs cooling and the variable fan is on high under the hood.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
When you say "set low" do you mean where the HVAC display actually says LO and not just a low temperature setting like 64 degrees or something?

I'll have to test that on mine as I don't know that I have ever manually set mine to LO on the screen and see if it seems to do that for me. I do not have eTorque if It makes any difference...

OP
OP

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the 2.0 Turbo, no e-torque. I always have the temp set at LO on the screen as my wife requires a/c when shes with me and the a/c is turned on, I dont usually have a/c turned on when I'm by myself tho. If the fan setting is on 4 or higher the a/c will kick on when put in park and the outside temps are hot/high. If the fan is set on 3 or below it does not.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I did not try the highest fan speed, but at mid-speed on LO, my AC definitely does not run with the AC button turned off. I will try it again by turning the fan all the way up to see if that finally engages it without the AC button being on next time I drive it :)