A/C performance with sky one-touch

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Hey guys, I have a 2022 Rubicon with sky one touch. I live in South Florida where it gets pretty hot and humid. I also have a JK and find that one to cool better than the JL.

How well does your JL cool?

-mine needs to be on for at least 5 minutes if it’s been sitting in direct sunlight, and still my indoor ambient temp only goes down to 74. From the air vents I get 42. I do notice however even though the temp goes to 74, my humidity is 32, which makes it comfortable.

should I visit the dealer or this is normal behavior for a JL with Sky one touch?

many tricks besides remote starting or leaving it on with doors locked?

Thanks guys, I don’t understand how this brand new Jeep doesn’t cool as good as my Jk which doesn’t even have rear vents.

Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch image

Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch image
Sponsored

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Found out really quick in Texas that the black top makes for hot Jeep after parked in sun for a while. Your AC shows 41.9 out of vent so that's all you are going to get.

What I did was open top and let hot air out while AC is cranking and then close. It cools off fine, but you can touch the roof and for sure feel the heat.

Never measured temp I just blow AC full blast most of the time. My wife now drives it more than I do. I can tell my hardtop is cooler than the Sahara with SOT.

FYI I started using this conditioner right off bat and the top looks new still. Bestop makes the Twill top on the Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch 1654195523159

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Hey guys, I have a 2022 Rubicon with sky one touch. I live in South Florida where it gets pretty hot and humid. I also have a JK and find that one to cool better than the JL.

-mine needs to be on for at least 5 minutes if it’s been sitting in direct sunlight, and still my indoor ambient temp only goes down to 74. From the air vents I get 42. I do notice however even though the temp goes to 74, my humidity is 32, which makes it comfortable.

should I visit the dealer or this is normal behavior for a JL with Sky one touch?

Thanks guys, I don’t understand how this brand new Jeep doesn’t cool as good as my Jk which doesn’t even have rear vents.

Did you consider putting in the Hotheadz headliner?

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
Found out really quick in Texas that the black top makes for hot Jeep after parked in sun for a while. Your AC shows 41.9 out of vent so that's all you are going to get.

What I did was open top and let hot air out while AC is cranking and then close. It cools off fine, but you can touch the roof and for sure feel the heat.

Never measured temp I just blow AC full blast most of the time. My wife now drives it more than I do. I can tell my hardtop is cooler than the Sahara with SOT.

FYI I started using this conditioner right off bat and the top looks new still. Bestop makes the Twill top on the Jeep.
Yea, you can definitely relate in Texas. I just bought the 303 convertible care products. Haven’t tried it yet though since the top is so new.

I figured I’d waste my time at the dealer, I’ll try what you said. Thanks!

Sponsored

WAOLIFE

First Name
Adrian & Josie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUM - 3.6L - Sky Touch & 2015 WK2O - 3.6L - IG: @wa0life
Occupation
Fiddler of Parts

I put in an Alien Sun Shade and it reduced the heat quite a bit. They have UV reflectors in the material so it aids quite a bit.

I also went to the extreme and popped for a $600 heat reflecting tint all around. She stays pretty temperate now.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I put in an Alien Sun Shade and it reduced the heat quite a bit. They have UV reflectors in the material so it aids quite a bit.

I also went to the extreme and popped for a $600 heat reflecting tint all around. She stays pretty temperate now.
The alien sunshade reduces heat even when top is closed? That’s pretty cool…I’m hoping the hot heads I bought helps, for now I’m just leaving the Jeep on and locked while I’m in construction sites.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Mine works fine in three digit temperatures

jmj8355

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 2.0
@Carbonalpine, did the hot heads help? I actually just went from a 21 jlur with color hard top which had amazing a/c it seemed and now a 22 4xe with sot and since temps are well into 90s now in kc with indexes over triple digit i have been doing some whining about my ac in the 4xe. at first i thought it may of been the electric driven system but tonight i measured and was getting low 40s out the vent which from my reading is good. Starting to now think the sot is the culprit. Would love to hear if it made a worth while difference.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
@Carbonalpine, did the hot heads help? I actually just went from a 21 jlur with color hard top which had amazing a/c it seemed and now a 22 4xe with sot and since temps are well into 90s now in kc with indexes over triple digit i have been doing some whining about my ac in the 4xe. at first i thought it may of been the electric driven system but tonight i measured and was getting low 40s out the vent which from my reading is good. Starting to now think the sot is the culprit. Would love to hear if it made a worth while difference.
100 percent the SOT is the culprit. I know this because my brand new ‘22 rubicon was ordered with a color matched top as well, my wife really wanted the SOT so I hunted one down and replaced my hardtop. With the hardtop we would never get hot, maybe it was warm but once you turned AC on it cooled fast. With the SOT it’s as if the cold air gets lost and doesn’t cool as fast. I went crazy trying to find a review on the hotheads based on temp and nobody would go into it. I now know why…it’s very hard to tell if it made a difference. In theory it should have, maybe I just need more time with it. I do notice a noise reduction for sure on the highway. I even tested it with a decibel meter. Without hothead on the interstate going 70 I would get 74-76db, now in similar wind I’m getting 71db. That’s a major difference in sound.

Sponsored

Zipzit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 4x4 Wannabee
Perhaps there are other things you can do to help yourself?

Does you front grill look like this?

Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch 4D290016-59DB-4DC8-BBEC-38455CDD3083

A good air conditioner requires great airflow through the grill. The setup shown here is not helpful.

Also, with that humidity level you should be running your system in recirculating mode. It takes a lot of cooling “power” to remove humidity from the air.

JL ME

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys ,2006 Roadking , 2008 Hayabusa
Occupation
Industrial Maintenance
Mine works grate!
Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch thumbnail_20220320_151628

Wait I don't have AC. Tops Down! Real Jeep.

OP
OP
Carbonalpine

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
I will match your super helpful comment with its own super helpful comment. I'm sure the OP appreciates both!
Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch prep_grate

Thanks! Yea, you get those guys sometimes. The great thing about a Jeep is you can use it however you please. My JL with SOT was a no brainer for me because I don’t want my wife playing with my hardtop hoist I have for my JK.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Thanks! Yea, you get those guys sometimes. The great thing about a Jeep is you can use it however you please. My JL with SOT was a no brained for me because I don’t want my wife playing with my hardtop hoist I have for my JK.
Like vegan or a crossfitter. Lol
Jeep Wrangler JL A/C performance with sky one-touch c1d
Sponsored