A/C Button Light on Auto

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,
I'm not to happy with the results of Auto...not really sure it's working or calibrated correctly and have an ongoing argument with dealers ......

One question I haven't gotten answered, when you put the HVAC on auto and lower the temp or set it to Mac A/C (lowest temp), should the light not he A/C button come on?
Sponsored

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
Hi Folks,
I'm not to happy with the results of Auto...not really sure it's working or calibrated correctly and have an ongoing argument with dealers ......

One question I haven't gotten answered, when you put the HVAC on auto and lower the temp or set it to Mac A/C (lowest temp), should the light not he A/C button come on?
In auto the AC light doesn’t come on. When you go into manual mode then it lights up if it’s on

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
In auto the AC light doesn’t come on. When you go into manual mode then it lights up if it’s on
Thanks! That's one question down.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
IIRC it doesn't show the fan setting either when in auto. Meaning the little ring of dashes around the icon to show how hard the fan is blowing won't display.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The Fan speed and intensity of the air conditioning/heat itself is regulated by the computer. If the temperature inside the cabin is dramatically different from your set temperature, it will blast the AC/heat for a few minutes and scale it back the closer to your desired temperature it gets. Once the cabin has reached your set temp it will have the AC or heat operating at a low setting to maintain the appropriate temperature. Only the light on the auto button will illuminate, and AC light and fan speed indicator will not be in play. If you adjust the fan speed it will deactivate auto temp control.

Sponsored

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
The Fan speed and intensity of the air conditioning/heat itself is regulated by the computer. If the temperature inside the cabin is dramatically different from your set temperature, it will blast the AC/heat for a few minutes and scale it back the closer to your desired temperature it gets. Once the cabin has reached your set temp it will have the AC or heat operating at a low setting to maintain the appropriate temperature. Only the light on the auto button will illuminate, and AC light and fan speed indicator will not be in play. If you adjust the fan speed it will deactivate auto temp control.
thanks for the info. I actually have no problem understanding fan speed. I questioned just the light for A/C as one never knows if it's really on otherwise. Fan is more obvious.

Unfortunate for me, auto doesn't seem to work right. On a nice cold day, guaranteed to blow cold air! turn to manual (one click of the fan speed) and the heat comes right on.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
thanks for the info. I actually have no problem understanding fan speed. I questioned just the light for A/C as one never knows if it's really on otherwise. Fan is more obvious.

Unfortunate for me, auto doesn't seem to work right. On a nice cold day, guaranteed to blow cold air! turn to manual (one click of the fan speed) and the heat comes right on.
Yes that does seem odd. I have trouble with mine trying to heat up the cabin from 65 to 70 if I leave it on auto overnight... I have to remember to just put it on vent on mornings like today. :giggle:

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Yes I had the same questions as well , every other vehicle I have with auto climate when the air conditioner was on the AC light in the controls would be on as well in auto or not.
Ac on = light on simple. But that’s not the way it is in the JL with Jeep the AC is running in auto but the light is off so you never really know when it’s on or off in auto. It’s pretty stupid and counterintuitive to me , but I just go with it now.

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
The air conditioning setup is all around terrible in my JL.

I live in the desert, so I don't have much use for heat this time of year, but I run AC all the time. Lets say it's 90 outside and I want the cabin to be at 75. If I set the air temp to 75, it will try to freeze me to death whether its on Auto or Manual. Plus like everybody else, it dumps 90 degree outside air on the passenger side every once in a while. I don't want it to snow in the cabin until it reaches 75, I just want 75 degree air coming out of the vents. The only solution I've found is to set to cabin temp to 5 degrees below the outside temp. Then it's bearable.

I've had this in every car I've owned for a decade and this is the only one that has tried to give me frostbite. Literally any temp more than 5 degrees below the outside temp, I just get the same arctic air coming out of the vents all the time.

But, back on topic... My AC button appears to do absolutely nothing. A few times, when I was dying of exposure, I tried just turning the AC button off. I didn't do a damn thing. I've tried of bunch of different scenarios, but I've yet to find one where pushing that button makes any difference whatsoever to what comes out of the vents.

The way I look at it, it's better to be too cold than too hot living here, so I'll give it a pass. Still terrible though!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The air conditioning setup is all around terrible in my JL.

I live in the desert, so I don't have much use for heat this time of year, but I run AC all the time. Lets say it's 90 outside and I want the cabin to be at 75. If I set the air temp to 75, it will try to freeze me to death whether its on Auto or Manual. Plus like everybody else, it dumps 90 degree outside air on the passenger side every once in a while. I don't want it to snow in the cabin until it reaches 75, I just want 75 degree air coming out of the vents. The only solution I've found is to set to cabin temp to 5 degrees below the outside temp. Then it's bearable.

I've had this in every car I've owned for a decade and this is the only one that has tried to give me frostbite. Literally any temp more than 5 degrees below the outside temp, I just get the same arctic air coming out of the vents all the time.

But, back on topic... My AC button appears to do absolutely nothing. A few times, when I was dying of exposure, I tried just turning the AC button off. I didn't do a damn thing. I've tried of bunch of different scenarios, but I've yet to find one where pushing that button makes any difference whatsoever to what comes out of the vents.

The way I look at it, it's better to be too cold than too hot living here, so I'll give it a pass. Still terrible though!
Have you tried diverting the vents away from you and into the cabin? I think that should help if its not blowing directly on you.

Sponsored

garfieldtcat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon
Have you tried diverting the vents away from you and into the cabin? I think that should help if its not blowing directly on you.
Yep. I used to do that. Pointing them up towards the roof seemed to work best for me, but I prefer having them blowing right on me. Nowadays I just go with 5 degrees below outside temp and point them at myself. It seems to work fine most of the time.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Yep. I used to do that. Pointing them up towards the roof seemed to work best for me, but I prefer having them blowing right on me. Nowadays I just go with 5 degrees below outside temp and point them at myself. It seems to work fine most of the time.
cool. I never had auto AC when I lived out in the 29 Palms/Palm Springs area so I've got no clue how my Jeep would react to that. I just had my AC cranked if it was that hot...

OP
OP

ekohn00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
Vehicle Showcase
Don't take this wrong, but that's just silly. Blowing cold air on a cold day no matter what the direction is still a problem.
Sponsored