Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 7 – getting home
The first couple days of the trip weren’t anything really noteworthy; it was all highway/interstate because it was August and I wanted to get out of the Texas heat as directly as possible.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3300

Yeah, 106 degrees. Woof. Happily, the A/C in the Jeep handled the task just fine.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3303

We made it just out of Texas the first day; driving until about 2am I got to Texline and decided to try out sleeping in the back with Bear. I had to unload the gear behind the Jeep and used a cable lock to the hitch to keep the honest honest. It occurred to me that a determined set of sticky fingers wouldn’t be deterred by a cable lock, but I’m a pretty light sleeper and had my pistol stashed next to me so I didn’t let the thought keep me up.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3304
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3305
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3306

The next day we pushed through New Mexico for a bit then into Colorado and straight north on I-25 into Wyoming. Having worked for several years on a rotational basis in West Texas, I’ve made this drive probably close to a hundred times and it’s never failed to amaze me at how beautiful it is. New Mexico is nearly 7000ft elevation across Hwy 83 and is some STUNNING pasture and grazing land and southern Colorado is so very different from other parts of the state with a desert mountains feel all to its own.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3311
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3312
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3313
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3315
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3318
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3319

The second night we stayed at the KOA in Buffalo, WY, once again in the back of the Jeep. Bear sure appreciated getting away from the humidity and oppressive heat (though it was still quite warm) and found a little grass snake to torment for a few seconds until I called him off to let the little guy be.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3320
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3321
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3322.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3323.JPG

Speaking of heat, it was 99 freaking degrees driving across Montana the next day. Of course, I would spend nearly 2 years in summertime to finally get home during a record heat wave. Then again, 99 degrees in Missoula felt better than 75 degrees in Houston, particularly when hanging out down by the Bitterroot so Bear could say hello to all the college kids floating the river.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3326
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3328
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3329

The next couple days were spent staying in a hotel and doing grownup shit around Missoula. For breakfast, Bear and I shared what I’ve started calling Cowboy Breakfast Tacos which were cold tortillas, boiled eggs, precooked bacon, and the staple of all foods, green Cholula.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3337

And, by shared I mean I prepared and ate while he gave me this look:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3336

Lunch was a similar affair, with premixed tuna salad sandwiches, carrots, grapes, and green Cholula and a local taste, Dragon’s Breath from Bayern Brewery. With a name like Dragon’s Breath, I was hoping it would have a bit of kick and spice but it was still a pretty run of the mill hefe. Bear and I had our lunch with Blue Mountain in the background, watching the hikers and joggers go up and come down the trailhead until, right as I had everything about prepped, it started to rain a bit.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3343
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3340
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3339
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3342
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3344
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3345
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3346

I’ve often been asked, being a California-born, Texan-raised, military brat who didn’t move to Montana until he was in his 30’s, why I feel such a love and pride in the state and why I say, barring any more major life changes, I don’t see myself living anywhere else.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3347

‘Nuff said. In Montana, even the Prius owners are self-aware and carry a sense of humor. I jest, but it does speak to the reason, beyond the stunning landscapes and breathtaking scenery, that Montana is such a special place to Montanans. Much like Texas was when I was young, being a “Montanan” is more a frame of mind than a geographic reference. It seems Texas has certainly lost that identity in the last 20 years or so, and who knows, Montana might soon as well. The population of the state is booming due, in large part, to the tech companies evacuating San Francisco and the Los Angeles folks bailing out for a slower paced, simpler way of life as well. For now, though, Montana still lives up to its motto of “last best place” to me.

What I learned on the way to Montana:
  • The rear A/C vents behind the center console are AWESOME for Bear. While chugging along I aimed the vents and Bear alternated between it hitting him in the face and belly while he napped. 4-door, Bear-approved.
  • 17.8mpg on the first tank. I estimated about 600lbs of additional gear, 70mph most of the time, and tires at 50psi cold (54psi hot).
  • The Jeep drives on the highway VERY smooth at 54psi. The added weight, along with the higher pressure and 10ply tires made a very smooth ride.
  • Ice in the cooler melted within the first couple hours (before the first fuel stop). Next time don’t forget to get the cooler out of the 110-degree garage and bring in the house to cool off until 10 minutes before leaving, dummy.
  • Next time, make chicken salad instead of tuna salad. Tuna is more aromatic, even after the plastic dishware has been washed. The tuna did keep for 8 days in the cooler though, and tasted great all the way through.
  • Keep the drivers door net empty on long trips if you like to make seat adjustments. With a pair of gloves, small bottle of hand sanitizer, 2 rolls of dog poop bags, and some spare plastic grocery bags it makes for a tight fit to reach your hand down and make seat back and lumbar adjustments while driving. Or maybe I’m just used to my full-sized pickup where there is probably 8”+ of space between the door cubby and the seat adjustments, or my Hilux from Australia which didn’t have a door cubby at all.
  • The 3.6L Pentastar is still the same ol’ 3.6L Pentastar, which is barely adequate. The manual transmission seems better than the JK manual, but the system as a whole just makes the driver sit there and wish you had another 100hp/150tq at your disposal to make it a truly competent road vehicle when on slightly larger tires with some added weight.
  • I forgot to re-aim the headlights after loading the Jeep down. I discovered this the first night and had to buy a phillips screwdriver at a truck stop along the way because I didn’t bring one with a long enough shank to reach the headlight adjustment screws. Which brought another thought: why no auto-leveling headlights on a $51k vehicle sold in 2020? My 2004 Honda S2000 had auto-leveling headlamps.
  • My first night sleeping in the back, I realized my lower back sat right in the crevice from the rear seat being folded down. It wasn’t a deal-breaker, but it made me realize with a fair amount of morning stiffness that it needed addressing. I took some spare towels and rolled/folded them under the blanket cover to soften up that crevice and level it out a bit and it worked great. At exactly 6’0” tall, I can JUST barely lie out in the back with my head tucked into the corner of the passenger seat and rear passenger door with my feet going towards the drivers side rear of the Jeep. That still gave Bear plenty of room to sleep next to me, so it was a pretty good setup.
  • The Jeep loves Colorado. I hit 19.4mpg average fuel economy which was the highest of the trip just north of Denver with speeds between 70-75mph.
  • The sweet spot on these tires for road driving is 50psi cold. I tried airing them up to 65psi cold (which is max rating) and it made the ride a bit too harsh, though the Jeep was noticeably more peppy at takeoff. I’ll continue to keep them at 30-35psi for around town/daily driving and air up to 50psi for any longer road trips.
  • Wyoming was not a fan of 6th gear. 6th was all but useless in the hills and with a crosswind of any kind.
  • The factory Rubicon suspension seems to be handling the weight fairly well aside from all the rear squat. The suspension was still comfortable and responsive to road conditions. It surely won’t do with any more weight, though, so the wheels were already turning (pardon the pun) on suspension upgrades that will be “necessary” before a roof rack and RTT get ordered.
  • The navigation froze up one time on the trip up. I shut the Jeep down and restarted and it self-corrected.
  • Bear LOVES his new Jeep. He’s been super comfortable and relaxed in the back, sleeping while we were on the freeway and loving the back windows being rolled down when we arrived somewhere interesting.
  • The big honking key still doesn’t make sense, unless it’s to be used like a roll of quarters when getting into a fist fight. It is nice to be able to lock the glove box and center console with the Jeep running, though.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 8 – Trapper Peak and The Magruder Corridor
Now that the grownup shit was taken careof, it was time to get back to vacationing. The first day was hiking Trapper Peak, the tallest peak in the Bitterroot Valley. It’s nothing monumental, just a gorgeous little day hike with a little bit of stone-hopping near the summit that I wasn’t sure if Bear would be keen for. Spoiler alert: I should’ve named him Billy instead of Bear. He’s a goat.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3355
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3357
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3358
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3360
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3362
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3363
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3368
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3371
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3373
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3374
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3375
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3376
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3378
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3390
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3392

We were even paid a visit while hanging out at the summit by the resident Marmot, who wasn’t sure he approved of our trespassing but wasn’t of a mood to evict us.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3396
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3397

It got pretty warm on the decent that afternoon, but Bear still seemed to really enjoy being back home for a bit. That made two of us.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3401
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3403

And a little flexy action, so my Jeep membership doesn’t get revoked:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3405
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3407
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3408

And the aftermath…
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3409

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 8 – cont’d
The next day we headed out for the Magruder Corridor and the Jeep’s “official” shakedown run. I’ll just let the pictures tell the story here.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3410
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3416
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3421
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3423
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3429

The first day was a relaxed start and an easy drive. The Montana side of the Bitterroot Corridor really is smooth and rather easy. We didn’t really have a plan per-se, so when we stopped at a nice little pull-out with a running stream and a pretty overlook, Bear and I decided to make an early camp.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3436
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3437
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3439
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3441
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3442

And, not wanting to waste the extra weight I was carrying, I decided to take advantage of the earlier day and get a little workout in before setting up camp completely and settling down with a book while I still had some light to read by.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3445
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3446
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3447
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3449
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3451

The next morning, Bear and I got up early to see the sun catching the valley, then Bear went back to bed while I got breakfast ready and started breaking down camp.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3453
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3454
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3455
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3456
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3457

The air quality was already starting to show some haze, and it would only get worse. There was a fire just south of the corridor on the Idaho side and the southern breeze caused the next two days to fall into a continually increasing haze. Not the greatest, but Bear and I weren’t going to let it deter us from having an awesome trip down the corridor.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3459
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3460
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3463
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3464
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3468
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3473
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3481

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 8 – cont’d cont’d
I had a couple routes off the traditional Magruder Road that I wanted to explore that came up during the second day. The first was the Elk Mountain peak. It was a beautiful drive down to the trailhead which sat in a little bowl, but we chose not to hike to the Peak and make camp in the draw because there wasn’t any moving water and because there were already 2 other vehicles parked at the trailhead and we didn’t want to be the cause of a crowded campsite. So, Bear and I kept trekking and explored down a gulch to Running Creek Trail. It was a trail I saw on Gaia that I’d never been down before, so we headed down a steep incline and wound up with what looked to be a semi-illegal guide service that was on state land. Engaging with someone possibly not operating on the level wasn’t something I had any interest in, so Bear and I turned around and started heading up the hill. On our way back up the hill, a black bear cub jumped out of the woods and damn near took out the passenger side fender of the Jeep then scooted around the corner and up the hill. I wanted to try and get a photograph or catch sight of him around the corner but I was a bit too busy checking my shorts and making sure Bear wasn’t going to leap out of the back window to go sniff his butt and try to make friends. Missed opportunities.

Also along this route, while moving out of the way for an oncoming vehicle, we cut the passenger rear tire at the sidewall, which forced a brief trail repair.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3482
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3483
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3485

This was the culprit; I must’ve rubbed across this cut branch just right. It’s situations like these that I bought 10-ply tires to prevent, but sometimes all the preventative measures in the world simply makes Mr. Murphy giggle a bit as he serves you a wang bone.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3484

Once I had the tire swapped and everything loaded back up, we kept running back up the trail. It was here that I realized that, running solo in an area with no cell coverage, I needed to start being a little more cautious with my route selection. It’s a bummer, but it’s part of the trade-off of solo adventuring. Shit happens, and you have to be adult enough not to keep trying to push it when inevitable challenges arise to compromise your plan. It’s not like these trails will disappear and I’ll never be able to come back to them. So, cautiously, onward!

We made camp that night at the fire tower lookout at Green Mountain. We got to the lookout around 6:30pm and met a couple forest service officers, one of which had his dog out there with them. They were using the fire tower to track the fire that was causing the air quality issues and had already established camp. These were a couple of SUPER friendly guys with an awesome dog, and we had a great conversation while the pups made fast friends. At their request, I didn’t take any pictures and won’t name any names (the dog being out there was quasi-forbidden and frowned upon by their management) but these were a great couple of dudes and Bear and I were happy to share a spot with them this evening.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3487
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3488

The grove of pines behind the Jeep in that last picture is where Bear and I laid our heads for the night. The smoke settled out in the evening and it made for a pretty great sight to wake up to the next morning.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3489
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3490
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3491

That next morning we woke up, broke down camp, visited with our new friends a bit more, had some breakfast, and it was time to wrap up the Magruder Road.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3493
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3494
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3495
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3496
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3498
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3500
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3501
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3502

Along the route we ran into a couple and their brand new to them, EXTREMELY clean black LJ Wrangler. The couple, in their mid-50’s or so, were so energetic to be out with their new Jeep exploring the back roads that it really brought a big smile to my face to meet and visit with them. So much so I completely forgot to take any pictures.

Also somewhere along this third day, the Jeeps name came to me. Her name is Evelyn after Evelyn Cameron, a 19th century Montana frontier photographer and lifestyle writer. I think the spirit of exploration with a hint of quirk (check out some of her photography and you’ll see what I mean) is pretty fitting. That said, internet this is Evelyn. Evelyn, meet the internet.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3503

The Magruder Road complete, we aired back up and started heading through central Idaho. I haven’t really spent much time on this side of the Bitterroot/Nez Perce mountain range, and it was absolutely STUNNING. US-95 is a breathtaking drive through rural Idaho. There was a working saw mill that the highway literally drives right through the middle of, the grazing pastures are full of healthy livestock that will feed our country, and there was an onion farm about 10 miles south of Payette, ID that might actually be the best smelling stretch of highway in America. Maybe I was just in a particularly patriotic mood, but driving through this part of the country I could almost FEEL the actual beating heart of the United States of America.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3505
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3507
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3509
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3511
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3512
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3516
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3517
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3518

We made camp that night off US-95 right at the Salmon River at a gorgeous little pull-out. The wind was blowing strong and cool and I was sure this was going to be just the best night to sleep under the stars. I certainly wasn’t disappointed, though one thought kept me awake for a bit: how in the HELL did you forget to bring your fly rod, dummy?!
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3520
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3521
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3522
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3525
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3526
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3527
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3529
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3531

What I learned in Montana and Idaho:
  • When taking the Magruder Road via the Montana side, don’t air down at the first off-pavement section. It only goes about 5 miles then back to pavement for another 10 miles or so.
  • The Montana side is far softer/easier driving than the Idaho side, which gets considerably tighter and rougher. Nothing a stock Wrangler of any trim couldn’t handle end to end, though.
  • The sway bar disconnect will automatically reconnect when you go over 20mph and will automatically disconnect again when you go under 15mph. I don’t remember my JKR ever doing this.
  • The off-road pages with altimeter is really nice to have. One less thing I rely on my phone for.
  • Windows down the whole trip = the worst great idea I’ve had in a while. Holy shit the interior of Evelyn felt “lived in” after 3 days on the trail.
  • I have a background in racing (motorcycle mostly), so my natural tendency is to try and push the envelope to see what the driver/vehicle system is capable of. The Magruder pass continually reminded me when I started naturally pushing a little harder, either through incredible wildlife interactions (mule deer running in front of us, the black bear incident, elk sightings) or with some trash on the trail to stop and pick up, or just an awesome vista popping up out of nowhere, that a steady pace is far more rewarding out here. It’s not always about bombing down the trail; for this trip it was about enjoying everything around me and the company I was keeping along the ride.
  • 50-degree mornings with cool air and windows down, the seat heaters and heated steering wheel were AWESOME.
  • Man, this engine really needs more torque and an all-together different torque profile. It’s way too high in the RPM band for the intended use of a Wrangler with manual transmission. The engine was dieseling and damned near stalling from a dead stop in 4H and 1st gear on a 6% grade unless I feathered the clutch at 2500rpm. Driving up a 6% grade in 2nd gear, you simply can’t lug the engine under 2000rpm. It’s either drive 20mph in 2nd or shift to 1st and wind the engine at 3000+rpm. While 3000rpm is fine, it gets pretty buzzy after 30 minutes of continuous driving. Evelyn SHOULD be able to lug the engine in 2nd gear between 1200-2000rpm and have enough available torque to handle itself. This was my biggest problem with the JKR (and the reason I wound up supercharging her) and I can see that, while the new transmission is nice, the real problem hasn’t been addressed.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 9 – Oregon and California
Our experience with Oregon was hardly worth mentioning, as we just passed through on our way to my land in northern California. Still, SE Oregon still is some seriously gorgeous country. I sometimes catch myself turn my nose up at Oregon due to all the nonsense that comes out of Portland these days, and I forget that there’s a whole state of gorgeous out there that ISN’T Portland. Still, I can’t abide by the law against pumping my own gas. A man has his limits.

Along this drive, Evelyn and I continued to get to know each other. One moment where I noticed she just “gets me” is when her GPS gave me this as my driving guidance:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3532

The “unnamed road” was simply a merge lane on Central Oregon Highway/US-20 that Evelyn didn’t recognize, but it was still nice to see that Evelyn and I were jiving. Would you like to take the interstate or something called unnamed road? I’ll take unnamed road for $200, Alex.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3533
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3535
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3536
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3540

Around Hines, OR the air quality started getting bad again. More wildfires. As we all now know, it was a summer for them in this part of the country.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3541

We passed Lake Albert, OR which, with the smoke in the air, made it look like the ocean. If the ocean had cattle grazing on its beaches.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3544
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3546

We arrived in Fall River Mills, CA that evening, and spent the night at the historic Fall River Hotel. We had supper on the patio of the restaurant downstairs, and Bear and I walked the town a bit as the sun was setting.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3547
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3552
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3553

Know how I knew I was in California?
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3550

The next morning, we headed out to see my land. To my surprise, it hadn’t moved.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3554
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3555
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3562
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3570
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3572
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3579
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3580

A couple days later, we headed out to explore the eastern side of California as we made our way back south. It was quite hot still, and there were several wildfires going that made the air quality continue to be a factor for the trip, though it made for some really interesting sunsets around Lake Almanor.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3583
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3589
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3590

We camped the next night off a dirt bike track cut into the Plumas National Forest off Scenic Highway 89 and I let my inner little kid out and played with my big green toy.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3593
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3594
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3597
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3599
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3601
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3604
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3606
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3607

Remember a couple of days ago when I cut a tire and told myself I had to be more cautious? Yeah, I’m not the sharpest crayon at times. I am a former Marine, after all. Crayons taste great.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3608
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3609

If I needed more affirmation that buying an old man mobile with those silly extra doors was a good decision, here it is:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3611

We drove through Lake Tahoe, just to see what all the fuss is about. It seemed like a neat little tourist town, like a more ritzy version of Flathead Lake. We stopped for a burger at the Bridgetender Tavern and Grille and, though he didn’t get any tots, Bear was still a great lunch conversationalist.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3613

After Tahoe, we started getting into territory I was a bit more familiar with. When I was on active duty, I was stationed at MCAGCC 29 Palms for a while and we beat up the desert from “The Stumps” to Bridgeport quite often.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3614
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3615
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3616
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3618
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3620
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3621
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3622
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3624
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3626
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3627
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3628
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3630
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3634
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3635

It was while driving through this stretch just east of Bridgeport that I realized it was late August. On this day, exactly 19 years ago, I was in Bridgeport doing the summer Mountain Warfare Package and training as an Assault Climber for my battalion. It was the best summer I’ve ever had. We were there for 2 months and every day we had a short ruck run up the hill then we climbed all day, using some of the most badass climbing gear on the market at the time, having lunch on these incredible vistas, then learning some crazy rappelling strategies to get back down in the afternoon. I was a young Marine non-commissioned officer, married to my high school sweetheart, having the time of my life. I had no idea that it was the last time the world would make any kind of sense to me. Two weeks later, 9/11/2001 happened. The world changed, my role in the world changed, and nothing has been the same since. This was the first time I’d been through this part of California since 2005, and it put me in a different head space for the rest of the trip. What I wouldn’t give to have that carefree view of the world back that I had that summer in 2001 in Bridgeport, California.

What I learned in Oregon and California:
  • We found it hard to find rough camping spots in the Sierra Nevadas. It’s too popular an area, I guess, and we were there right in the middle of summer. Plenty of campsites, but all populated and paid, which wasn’t our style.
  • One of our camp spots there was a set of train tracks over 2 miles away (as the bird flies) that we could hear the train passing as loud as if we were standing at the tracks. It’s truly amazing how far the sounds of man can travel when there isn’t as much competition.
  • I’m a pansy without a spare tire.
  • The camping infrastructure throughout the national parks and forests is some of the best federal money spent, IMO.
  • There is sooooooo much trash thrown out in public lands in California. I’m not just talking about Larabar wrappers; I’m talking hot water heaters, mattresses, bathtubs, tires, and beaucoup beer cans and camping refuse. C’mon California, do better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 10 – Back to Texas
We spent the night in the Jeep in Mohave National Preserve. I was continually reminded when I worked in West Texas, but this was another stark reminder of just how beautiful sunrises are in the desert. Truly there’s nothing like it, and pictures just never do it justice.

I’d sourced a replacement tire through Discount Tire for the cut one, but the only store that had one in stock that was along my route was in Phoenix, so I decided to travel along I-40 and take as much of the old Route 66 as I could. For those unfamiliar, I-40 essentially replaced Route 66 and so in many spots the two parallel but Route 66 was far more windy through the countryside and so most of the exits off I-40 had detours along the old Route 66. So we decided to follow them; if Route 66 dumped us back on I-40, we’d hop on the interstate just long enough to catch the next exit and back on the historic route. It made for a fun little road trip, though California had to get their hooks one last time:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3637

For comparison’s sake, gas was $1.80/gal in Texas when I left and $2.20/gal in Montana. Woof.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3638
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3639
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3641
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3642

We camped south of Williams, AZ in Kaibab National Forest. This is not what I pictured at all when I think of Arizona. Gone is the high desert. Tall pines, cool air (we were back above 7000ft), absolutely beautiful camping. A LOT of people though, as this was obviously a very popular spot. Bill Williams Lookout was closed due to fire danger which was a bummer because it looked to be an incredible view. Twin Springs was also closed due to fire danger. Ironically, it rained the whole day and part of the night which forced us to Jeep camp and unpack to dry and repack our camping gear the next day. Because the rain kinda took me by surprise as I was setting up camp, I didn’t get any pictures here, but I definitely recommend it to anyone going through that area; it was gorgeous.

The next morning we drove into Surprise, AZ and visited Discount Tire for a replacement tire. Another positive experience with Discount Tire; this is a big box company I always seem to have a good experience with.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3644
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3645

After that, it was just hitting the same old stretch of interstates I’ve pounded over and over again, so nothing more to note on the trip. However, no trip is complete until the cleanup is done and the gear is properly stored.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3647

After 6000 miles of road-tripping, Evelyn was pretty dirty. I decided she needed a full and thorough cleaning, so that meant the top, doors, and windshield needed to come down/off:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3660
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3661
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3663
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3664
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3667
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3668
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3669
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3670

And in the blink of an eye (/sarcasm):
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3671
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3672
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3695
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3696
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3697
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3698

While cleaning her up, I decided to see if I liked the look of the bumper wings added back on. I didn’t care for it, so I wound up taking them back off a couple days later.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3688

One thing to note was that the plastic material they make the fenders out of on the JL’s is WAY softer than what was made on the JK’s. After 75,000 miles on my JKR, 40k+ of them with the exact same tires on the exact same offset of wheels, the rear fenders didn’t look anywhere NEAR as chewed up as Evelyn’s were after only 6500 miles. Good thing unpainted stock fenders are fairly cheap, else I’d be far more upset about this:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3691
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3692
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3693
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3694

Also, does this make me a real Jeeper now?
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3689

And for those wondering where that lazy assed copilot was during this whole evolution, you’ll be happy to know he supervised the entire process with hawklike precision:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3699

And my license plates arrived, so I guess she’s not the new girl on the block any longer.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3718

What I learned on the way back to Texas:
  • The transmission feels like it should’ve been a 5-speed. The sweet spot for 6th gear is only about 5-7mph, conditions permitting. Below 72mph, it falls below the dreaded 2000rpm and loses what little guts this engine has. Above 79mph, it doesn’t have the horsepower to overcome the aerodynamics and resistance to maintain speed on anything other than a downhill. I was REALLY hoping I’d keep myself happy with this engine/transmission in stock form and, as long as I keep to in town and light trail driving I might. But every time I get on the highway, go up a hill, or think about going back into the mountains, my savings account starts whispering to me that it needs to see a man about a Maggie. What is it they say about some fools never learning?
  • Arizona interstates, woof. 5.6% sales tax and upwards of 4.54% income tax and I-40 and I-17 both beat you to death like you asked them to hurt you. You aren’t Arkansas, you can do more. Be better, Arizona.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 11 – Steering wheel trim replacement
During my road trip, one thing that was a bit of an annoyance was the glare that kicked up from the brushed plastic steering wheel trim. Not only would sunlight reflect directly off the trim into my eyes, but it would also throw a reflection into the windshield which would hit me from a second angle. So, I researched and found the black steering wheel trim that is found on the Sport model Wrangler and ordered it. The replacement isn’t hard; you only need some trim tools, a 10mm socket, a 26mm socket (I believe but I might be misremembering here), and some small torx bits. It’s delicate work because there are a bunch of little wires under that steering wheel, but it isn’t difficult if you are careful and take your time. All-in, this took me less than 45 minutes probably.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3673
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3674
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3675
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3676
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3677
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3679
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3680
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3681
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3682
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3684
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3685
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3686
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3687

Parts list:
- Steering wheel bezel (Mopar OEM part # 6RN48TXDAA): https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-steering-wheel-bezel-6rn48txdaa

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 11 – Last days in Texas
Now that I was back in Houston, grownup shit mostly took over for the next couple months. However I still tried to get a little Evelyn time in whenever I could. One of the contractors I worked with bought me this mug after we bonded over Jeeps and such one day while doing work on the house:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3720

And Evelyn kept Bear and us dry while tropical storms blew through town yet people were still coming to look at the house. I guess a little water doesn’t really phase the folks from Houston.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3721
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3722

I ran into a 4Runner with the similar shade of green, and talked with the owner for a bit (my good buddy drives a 4Runner TRD Pro). It was interesting to see the shades sitting next to each other; I’m happy with Sarge.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3730
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3731
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3732
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3733

I also let my inner child out a bit more and went bro-shopping on the internet for some patches. That’s right, I’m that guy now, fight me. I’m not scared, I have an ouch pouch.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3781
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3784
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3785
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3786

After the house went under contract, things slowed down. It was pretty much a waiting game for 45 days, where I couldn’t really go far in case anything was needed for the house sale, yet I had ample opportunity to make poor decisions on the internet. And thus, I decided I needed an “upgraded” dash pad. My name is Bud, and I make poor financial decisions.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3801
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3802

And on the next episode of Bud Arnold’s Poor Life Choices, I decided I wasn’t totally happy with the way the Warn bull bar sat on the front bumper. I liked the pictures of the JCR bull bar, so I bought it. Turns out the JCR bull bar is a much smaller diameter bar which I didn’t like nearly as much, so it stayed on the Jeep about 24 hours then came back off. So now I have $400 in bull bars sitting in my garage and neither are on the Jeep because I think she looks best without one.

Warn:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3734

JCR:
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3822
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3823

None (how she currently sits):
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3824
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3825

Parts list:
Leather dash pad w/red stitching (Mopar OEM part # 6AC121R3AC): https://parts.allmoparparts.com/oem-parts/mopar-instrument-panel-pad-6ac121r3ac

JCR bull bar: https://www.jcroffroad.com/product/JLHR-B-PC.html I also hear there's one of these on the Helena Craigslist, barely used, for $100.

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Part 12 – Moving home
Well the day came, the house sold, and it was time to hitch my wagon and head back home before winter hit. Evelyn, for all her many wonders, can barely pull herself up and down the freeway so it was left to Kort to do the heavy lifting.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3869
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3871
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3897
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3898
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3899
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3904

Hey, remember when I asked if that little chip in the windshield qualified me for the Jeeper club? How about after one sub-40deg night?
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3909

Or the next morning?
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3915

It’s all the way to the top of the windshield now. Fortunately, it’s on the passenger side so I should hopefully have plenty of time for the Gorilla Glass folks to get their inventory straightened out before I need to address it. For now, she just looks like a Jeep.

And so here we are, back in Montana, ready for the answer to this next stage of life, the universe, and everything. Will it be 42? That’s the age I’ll be when it comes time to get accepted into medical school, so I hope so. Time will tell. For now, I’ll just keep plugging away at studying for the MCAT, getting cool new license plates, spending time with my squirrelly dog, enjoying the view, and meeting cool folks with Mojito Jeeps.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3929
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3939
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3951
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3994

Last edited:

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Loved watching the story/adventures unfold with the pup, man, wish I was bold enough/had the time to do that with my dogs (I have two though so sleeping in the JLUR might be harder, haha). Respect/props for taking on the medicine journey too!

Sponsored

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Part 12 – Moving home
Well the day came, the house sold, and it was time to hitch my wagon and head back home before winter hit. Evelyn, for all her many wonders, can barely pull herself up and down the freeway so it was left to Kort to do the heavy lifting.
Jeep Wrangler JL A boy and his dog (and his Jeep) at the end of the world. IMG_3994

Hey, remember when I asked if that little chip in the windshield qualified me for the Jeeper club? How about after one sub-40deg night?

Or the next morning?

It’s all the way to the top of the windshield now. Fortunately, it’s on the passenger side so I should hopefully have plenty of time for the Gorilla Glass folks to get their inventory straightened out before I need to address it. For now, she just looks like a Jeep.

And so here we are, back in Montana, ready for the answer to this next stage of life, the universe, and everything. Will it be 42? That’s the age I’ll be when it comes time to get accepted into medical school, so I hope so. Time will tell. For now, I’ll just keep plugging away at studying for the MCAT, getting cool new license plates, spending time with my squirrelly dog, enjoying the view, and meeting cool folks with Mojito Jeeps.
Great story, loved the drive. I too am a Montanan, spent a few childhood years in Helena...mostly Missoula though. The military had kept me away for nearly 30 years now...your post just makes we want to get back even more.

In a non-jeep question, what is the front bumper / skid you have on the Ram? I have 2003 Ram Cummins, to match my 2020 JLURD, and it needs bumpers...front one is all scratched up from creosote bushes and rocks while running chase and rescue duties in BitD and Mojave Desert Race Association, and the back one has had close encounters with a couple too many poles.

Again great post, happy to see a fellow Montanan home...no better place in the world!

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
Part 12 – Moving home
IMG_3869.jpg
IMG_3871.jpg
IMG_3897.jpg
IMG_3898.jpg
IMG_3899.jpg
IMG_3904.jpg

IMG_3909.jpg

Or the next morning?
IMG_3915.jpg

IMG_3929.jpg
IMG_3939.jpg
IMG_3951.jpg
IMG_3994.jpg

[/QUOTE
Part 12 – Moving home

Or the next morning?

Amazing Pictures and Log of your trip!!!
I have 3 dog's, So Bear's supervision is completely understood.
You have done the Jeep community proud!
And Thanks for your service Marine!

Marman

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Great story, really enjoyed following along with Bear. I am in my mid 50s and really wish I could do something like this before I get too old. Looking forward to more from you and Bear...

Last edited:
OP
OP

BroncoHound

First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR / 2022 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Taxi driver-in-training
Great story, loved the drive. I too am a Montanan, spent a few childhood years in Helena...mostly Missoula though. The military had kept me away for nearly 30 years now...your post just makes we want to get back even more.

In a non-jeep question, what is the front bumper / skid you have on the Ram? I have 2003 Ram Cummins, to match my 2020 JLURD, and it needs bumpers...front one is all scratched up from creosote bushes and rocks while running chase and rescue duties in BitD and Mojave Desert Race Association, and the back one has had close encounters with a couple too many poles.

Again great post, happy to see a fellow Montanan home...no better place in the world!
The front bumper is Addictive Desert Designs, though all the plates have been replaced due to a couple deer incidents a couple years ago. I’m friends with the GM of Dark Horse Customs in Bozeman so they cut new panels out of 1/4” aluminum for me. For a minimalist bumper, the tubework held up incredibly well; I nailed a bull deer at 80mph on I-90 and while it crumpled the front plate, the bumper itself was undamaged.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
The front bumper is Addictive Desert Designs, though all the plates have been replaced due to a couple deer incidents a couple years ago. I’m friends with the GM of Dark Horse Customs in Bozeman so they cut new panels out of 1/4” aluminum for me. For a minimalist bumper, the tubework held up incredibly well; I nailed a bull deer at 80mph on I-90 and while it crumpled the front plate, the bumper itself was undamaged.
Thanks...I thought it was the ADD but noticed some differences. That explains it.
Sponsored