Sponsored

91 vs 87, real difference?

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
Just hooked up my obdlink MX. 24psi on a WOT run.. damn. I didn't expect that.
Because that is not the boost pressure. The OBD2 reads MAP, not boost. You have to subtract atmospheric pressure, which is ~14.7 psi depending on DA. Your actual boost is about 10 psi. The gauge doesn’t depict fractions of a psi.

Sponsored

MJM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2004 GC Limited, 2018 Silverado LTZ, 2000 GMC Sierra SLT, 2000 Camaro SS
So far we have been running premium in ours. Around here, that's 91 octane. According to the dash, it's gotten about 22 mpg over the 800 miles we've gone so far. At that mpg the cost difference isn't worth even trying "regular".

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
So far we have been running premium in ours. Around here, that's 91 octane. According to the dash, it's gotten about 22 mpg over the 800 miles we've gone so far. At that mpg the cost difference isn't worth even trying "regular".
Must be regional. I'm the other way around. At my mpg it isn't worth me trying premium gas strictly looking at $. Around here it's close to $20 more per tank to fill it with premium.

Dalingrin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Must be regional. I'm the other way around. At my mpg it isn't worth me trying premium gas strictly looking at $. Around here it's close to $20 more per tank to fill it with premium.
$1+ more per gallon seems kind of crazy. It is usually $0.40 - $0.60 more per gallon in most places that I have paid attention.

YYCSahara

First Name
BDLL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2.0T
$1+ more per gallon seems kind of crazy. It is usually $0.40 - $0.60 more per gallon in most places that I have paid attention.
Yeah, it sucks up here. The spread between regular and premium has grown wider and wider over last couple of years.

Sponsored

MJM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2004 GC Limited, 2018 Silverado LTZ, 2000 GMC Sierra SLT, 2000 Camaro SS
Premium cost a bit more here as well. But the JLR only has a 17.5 gallon tank and with the mpg we're getting a few bucks a tank is worth keeping full performance. My wife loves to romp on it. Damn thing scoots when you do.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Because that is not the boost pressure. The OBD2 reads MAP, not boost. You have to subtract atmospheric pressure, which is ~14.7 psi depending on DA. Your actual boost is about 10 psi. The gauge doesn’t depict fractions of a psi.

So you're saying engine off it should read 1bar....

Screenshot_20190826-213035.png

Last edited:

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
Believe whatever you want, but what does it read at idle? If it doesn't measure atmospheric, then you should see a negative value...vacuum. But you don’t, instead you see ~8 psi. Subtract atmospheric pressure and you are at 6 psi of vacuum...normal for idle.

turbosix

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon
Believe whatever you want, but what does it read at idle? If it doesn't measure atmospheric, then you should see a negative value...vacuum. But you don’t, instead you see ~8 psi. Subtract atmospheric pressure and you are at 6 psi of vacuum...normal for idle.
Lol

Screenshot_20190826-212953.png

DesertFox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep KL
LOL. I don’t know what to tell you, mine shows a positive 8 psi at idle, when I advance the throttle the value increases, it does not drop to zero then increase. This instrument is reading the MAP sensor, the PCM needs to know that value to control the engine at different altitudes and temperatures, not the boost value. Like I said - believe what you want.
Sponsored