Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.harborfreight.com/8000-lbs-cable-winch-puller-69855.html

and

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lbs-capacity-2-in-x-30-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-61226.html

so I live 1000 ft from the ocean and I park outside (worried about rust), I don’t really want extra weight on my Jeep, and most importantly my build budget is expended.

I am thinking of getting the above 8ton winch and a 30ft 6 ton strap, to add to my existing recovery tow straps/kit.. throw it all in a duffel bag in my garage, and pull it out when I go to trails.

why I created this thread:
1) will this work and is it safe
2) any other suggested solutions
3) and better options for come along and strap you can suggest
4) has anyone else done this for self recovery
5) any additional components you suggest
6) I want no limit budget guy to tell me to go spend 1200 on a top of the line winch, cable, plate, and install, only to embarrassingly remind them I am out of Jeep funds for the time being.
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It's totally safe.

Plenty of guys - myself included - have pulled dead vehicles onto trailers this way.

The second biggest problem is that it's a work out.

That's the second biggest problem 'cause I'm not opposed to working out. The biggest problem is that it is maddeningly slow and psychologically you feel like it's never going to be over.

You may have to reset several times because you likely won't get 50 to 100' of pull like an electric winch.

But it'll work and as a poor man's setup, nothing wrong with it. Good for you for thinking ahead.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
This is the " Old School" way, I have a gear chain Come along, straps, and a HiLift Jack.
The hard work to extract, tempers the "hold my beer, watch this " urge to temporary Fame..

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Cool feel better ordering it now, thanks guys

Sponsored

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I had one similar to the HF one, and bent the handle. Get a better quality one. They are slow, but in a pinch, it works.

JP18
What are some quality ones? This was the highest tonnage one I could find, most are 1-5 tons.. This was 8 tons, and i was looking for excessive tonnage for that reason, thinking it would hold up.

JP18

First Name
J.P.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon
What are some quality ones? This was the highest tonnage one I could find, most are 1-5 tons.. This was 8 tons, and i was looking for excessive tonnage for that reason, thinking it would hold up.
I'll suggest looking at the reviews on Amazon. They vary a lot.

Some of the people put too much strain (think: 2 guys using it).

JP18

N5lp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk and 2019 2 door Wrangler Rubicon
For clarity, in the US a ton is 2,000 pounds, not 1,000.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
https://www.harborfreight.com/8000-lbs-cable-winch-puller-69855.html

and

https://www.harborfreight.com/6000-lbs-capacity-2-in-x-30-ft-heavy-duty-recovery-strap-61226.html

so I live 1000 ft from the ocean and I park outside (worried about rust), I don’t really want extra weight on my Jeep, and most importantly my build budget is expended.

I am thinking of getting the above 8ton winch and a 30ft 6 ton strap, to add to my existing recovery tow straps/kit.. throw it all in a duffel bag in my garage, and pull it out when I go to trails.

why I created this thread:
1) will this work and is it safe
2) any other suggested solutions
3) and better options for come along and strap you can suggest
4) has anyone else done this for self recovery
5) any additional components you suggest
6) I want no limit budget guy to tell me to go spend 1200 on a top of the line winch, cable, plate, and install, only to embarrassingly remind them I am out of Jeep funds for the time being.
too bad we don’t have this over here

Sponsored

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So you could by a Hi-Lift jack and the kit to also use it as a come along. That way you are doubling the versatility of your recovery gear and the money you spend. I used my old hi-lift to lift a jeep to reseat a tire and also to get my jeep out of a mud hole when stuck by myself one time.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
So you could by a Hi-Lift jack and the kit to also use it as a come along. That way you are doubling the versatility of your recovery gear and the money you spend. I used my old hi-lift to lift a jeep to reseat a tire and also to get my jeep out of a mud hole when stuck by myself one time.
i considered that, but they are so big you have to mount outside the jeep, and everyone says they are dangerous. I use the AEV jack stand to raise my OEM jack, works nicely offroad because the base is so thick even in soft ground (it gives good resistance). My business partner uses the HI-jack in the way you described. So I am king of evaluating both options

werewolf4805

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
i considered that, but they are so big you have to mount outside the jeep, and everyone says they are dangerous. I use the AEV jack stand to raise my OEM jack, works nicely offroad because the base is so thick even in soft ground (it gives good resistance). My business partner uses the HI-jack in the way you described. So I am king of evaluating both options
You have to be very careful when lifting with one, but as a come-along it was easy because the lever and size. Also there are plenty of mounting options from the hood, tailgate, or on the roll cage inside the Jeep.
Sponsored