8k or 10k winch, and why?

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Settled on a Warn for sure, but don’t know what size? Never used a winch, don’t plan on doing much off-roading if any at all, but what y’all think?
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I went 12K. Wasn't much different than a 10K and like most things in life more strength is never a bad thing.

Spaffy

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL 2Dr Willys, '16 Ram 2500, '69 Dodge Polara
Rule of thumb is 1.5 times the vehicles GVWR. You should be around 5,300lbs on a Sport 4dr 3.0. That would make it 7,950lbs.

Some people recommend 2.0 times GVWR as a safety margin. That's based on preference.

Compair prices, cable lengths, and pull speed.

You're right on the bubble of an 8k but it would work. You can also research winching techniques and get a snatch block to double the pull.

I've got a 9.5k Warn thats off a previous vehicle that will be going on my JL when I get it. I have a 16.5k Warn on my truck. It's GVRW is 10k though, and she's a pig!

Either way you go, don't forget to buy the accessories to actually use the winch! Snatch blocks, shackles, tree saver, tow rope/ cable extender.

Wixo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
9,000 and up sounds about right.

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
I bought a rough Country 9,500 lb with synthetic rope... only used it once so far, but I love it, and it looks awesome.

Sponsored

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Waiting on a Badlands ZXR 12000lb winch from Harbour Freight. Have the winch plate to go on the Rubicon non steel bumper coming from Rockhard4x4 can't afford a steel bumper and both of these get good reviews.

3VOLVE

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I have the 12K Quadratec w. Synthetic rope. I purchased the higher rated for as large of a safety margin as possible and have used it a dozen or so times over the last year. Other than the recall, I appreciate the strength and reliability to date.

zgrw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
To my knowledge 2x GVW. So, if you have JLUR, it would be minimum 10K winch. If you have diesel it would be 12K.

Reactions: GtX

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i agree with @Spaffy .

so in your case that you're not going to do much off roading. a 8k# would work. just have at least 90 to 100' of line so if you get in a tough spot, you can double the line with a snatch block. that will give you 16k# of pulling power. a 10k# would be better if you are not all that schooled on winching. meaning keeping it simple. you will need to add a tree strap, a couple of shackles in order to do any winching. i would suggest to read up on winching so you have a better idea whats involved.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
also keep in mind when you are buying the tree strap, recovery strap, snatch bock and shackles that the rating are in the same range or higher. example do not buy a 5k# rating shackle because they $20 each. you need the 10k# or higher rating which will hold the load weight of the line pull from the winch that is winching out a jeep. if ou use a under rated shackle, you are at risk of the shackle breaking off. it will fly like a bullet and will take something out. i've seen under rated shit break and nearly missing someone head or gone thru a windshield. not pretty and the shit stain in the shorts will not come out.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Why do you want a winch? If you aren’t going off-road what are you using it for?

Knowing how you will use it will help you get the right thing, if you need it at all.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab
Why do you want a winch? If you aren’t going off-road what are you using it for?

Knowing how you will use it will help you get the right thing, if you need it at all.
I’d like all essential equipment in case i ever wanted to do any crawling or offroading. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I have a 12K winch with synthetic rope on my JLUR. Proper winch usage just like off road driving is a learned form of art. The consequences of improper winch use can cause great amounts of damage or even worse bodily harm. Wire rope is fine fore most applications but when a wire rope snaps it recoils back towards its origin which is much less likely with synthetic rope. Undersized rope diameter for a particular application is a primary cause of rope breakage.

Winches like many other survival things in the off road world are such that you hardly ever need them until you need them and then you really need them so you want them to really work.

With a 6000 lb. rig loaded with gear stuck in the muck I want my winch to pull my A** out.
Sponsored