850 watt fan swap? Anyone done it yet?

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I recently picked up a brand new JL 240amp alternator for a steal of a deal and have the opportunity to pick up an 850watt fan. Has anyone done this yet and did you notice a difference in cooling? Is anything else needed to complete the swap or just replace the 2 components?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I recently picked up a brand new JL 240amp alternator for a steal of a deal and have the opportunity to pick up an 850watt fan. Has anyone done this yet and did you notice a difference in cooling? Is anything else needed to complete the swap or just replace the 2 components?
well I didn’t get any replies, maybe nobody has done the swap yet. I am tempted to try it, does anybody know if I can just put the 850watt fan in and will it work properly or will I need to have the computer flashed?

Revolution_322

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubi White
well I didn’t get any replies, maybe nobody has done the swap yet. I am tempted to try it, does anybody know if I can just put the 850watt fan in and will it work properly or will I need to have the computer flashed?
Dude haven't you realized yet that barely anyone here Has any mechanical knowledge? The fan should work fine, i think it has the same bracket and Electrical hook up. As far as programming, because it is higher output it will likely run generally higher cfm over stock the computer is going to be modulating speed based on the oem fan specs.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking of doing that swap until I realized the 2.0T has that fan. But the fan's look similar in size and mounting configuration.

At this point, there's only one way to know and that's to be the guinea pig and give it a shot. Think of the great tech thread you can post! Seriously, if you get this to work that'll be a great mod/upgrade for a lot of people.

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I was thinking of doing that swap until I realized the 2.0T has that fan. But the fan's look similar in size and mounting configuration.

At this point, there's only one way to know and that's to be the guinea pig and give it a shot. Think of the great tech thread you can post! Seriously, if you get this to work that'll be a great mod/upgrade for a lot of people.
The fan will fit for sure, it is the same size, the only thing I am worried about is will it run properly? With everything being controlled by computer these days I worry about that. But as you stated I think I will go ahead and be the test dummy on this one.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
The fan will fit for sure, it is the same size, the only thing I am worried about is will it run properly? With everything being controlled by computer these days I worry about that. But as you stated I think I will go ahead and be the test dummy on this one.
Any news on issues or if it works fine? I am towing a 2700+ lb trailer and am going to switch over to the gladiator grill inserts to increase air flow and I am going to install a cold case radiator to also increase cooling. I have not had an issue to date, but am being proactive. Curious if the 850w fan worked or not?

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Any news on issues or if it works fine? I am towing a 2700+ lb trailer and am going to switch over to the gladiator grill inserts to increase air flow and I am going to install a cold case radiator to also increase cooling. I have not had an issue to date, but am being proactive. Curious if the 850w fan worked or not?
After speaking with a Jeep mechanic, he said it won't work. It will operate the same as the fan that was in there, so I didn't waste my money. I have looked at the cold case, but they have too many bad reviews for me to get one. It is unfortunate as it is the only aluminum radiator available for the JL.

z1krause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
After speaking with a Jeep mechanic, he said it won't work. It will operate the same as the fan that was in there, so I didn't waste my money. I have looked at the cold case, but they have too many bad reviews for me to get one. It is unfortunate as it is the only aluminum radiator available for the JL.
There are a few people out there that have done the 600 to 850watt fan swap on their LS conversions and say the 850w does not require any reprogramming. Additionally, it has been confirmed that you can replace the grill inserts from a JT(larger vent openings)to a JL as long as you order the correct insert based off your grill Trim (with factory trim rings versus without). I will be doing both of these mods to my supercharged JLUR. I was in the mountains this weekend and regularly seeing 230+ degree coolant temps. Also, while running at highway speeds 75-80mph in hot weather (80+) It's not unusual for me to be between 217-221 degrees on coolant temps. I'll let y'all know how the mods work. I wouldn't trust anything a "Jeep Mechanic" told you.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
There are a few people out there that have done the 600 to 850watt fan swap on their LS conversions and say the 850w does not require any reprogramming. Additionally, it has been confirmed that you can replace the grill inserts from a JT(larger vent openings)to a JL as long as you order the correct insert based off your grill Trim (with factory trim rings versus without). I will be doing both of these mods to my supercharged JLUR. I was in the mountains this weekend and regularly seeing 230+ degree coolant temps. Also, while running at highway speeds 75-80mph in hot weather (80+) It's not unusual for me to be between 217-221 degrees on coolant temps. I'll let y'all know how the mods work. I wouldn't trust anything a "Jeep Mechanic" told you.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeep’n Jay

Jeep’n Jay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Looking forward to the results. Keep us informed please.

OhioJeeper

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6 JL's and a Gladiator
The factory fan cools pretty well. If you monitor the temps and when it comes on, you'll see temps drop pretty quickly. As it's an '18, If you're under the "extended warranty" then replacement of the factory fan might void that portion covered by the cooling system. If you're out of warranty and on your own, you have to ask yourself it's going to be better than stock in terms of cooling and longevity, and what's the payback?

z1krause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The factory fan cools pretty well. If you monitor the temps and when it comes on, you'll see temps drop pretty quickly. As it's an '18, If you're under the "extended warranty" then replacement of the factory fan might void that portion covered by the cooling system. If you're out of warranty and on your own, you have to ask yourself it's going to be better than stock in terms of cooling and longevity, and what's the payback?
I bought a used "like new" 850W fan from a Hemi Swapped JT for $249 off RubiTrux. I bought the JT OEM Mopar grill inserts on ebay for $9.99/piece x 3. Pretty small investment if it can keep her a little cooler during long pulls or hot drives across CA in the summer time. I'm running 37" K02s on Method Beadlocks, 5.13 Dana Gears, I'm lifted 3.5", have a solid steel front bumper, solid steel rear bumper (with steel spare tire carrier mounted to frame), steel fender flares, stainless steel inner fenders, a Warn Xeon 12s, Genesis dual full battery conversion, etc, etc etc. Throw all of that on top of a giant Magnuson positive displacement supercharger and she's definitely struggling to cool quickly when running her hard. I agree that on stock or slightly upgraded rigs the standard cooling components on a JL are more than enough. That's 100% not my rig though. Warranty... Not sure anything is covered anymore after all the upgrades.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
With the complaints of the early fans being loud, mine is but no complaints. Would it sound like an A10 under the hood because that is a very polarizing subject.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
This is my 2018
Sponsored