850 watt fan swap? Anyone done it yet?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I bought a used "like new" 850W fan from a Hemi Swapped JT for $249 off RubiTrux. I bought the JT OEM Mopar grill inserts on ebay for $9.99/piece x 3. Pretty small investment if it can keep her a little cooler during long pulls or hot drives across CA in the summer time. I'm running 37" K02s on Method Beadlocks, 5.13 Dana Gears, I'm lifted 3.5", have a solid steel front bumper, solid steel rear bumper (with steel spare tire carrier mounted to frame), steel fender flares, stainless steel inner fenders, a Warn Xeon 12s, Genesis dual full battery conversion, etc, etc etc. Throw all of that on top of a giant Magnuson positive displacement supercharger and she's definitely struggling to cool quickly when running her hard. I agree that on stock or slightly upgraded rigs the standard cooling components on a JL are more than enough. That's 100% not my rig though. Warranty... Not sure anything is covered anymore after all the upgrades.
Do you have the part number? I have it down to two part numbers, but can't get past that.

Found it. Did you install it yet? Any fit issues? (Wiring, mounting, firmware flash, etc)
Jeep Wrangler JL 850 watt fan swap? Anyone done it yet? Gladiator fan

Does it sound like this?
Sponsored

Last edited:

z1krause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Do you have the part number? I have it down to two part numbers, but can't get past that.

Found it. Did you install it yet? Any fit issues? (Wiring, mounting, firmware flash, etc)
Jeep Wrangler JL 850 watt fan swap? Anyone done it yet? Gladiator fan

Does it sound like this?
Should be delivered this coming Monday and I will try to get it installed early next week. Looking at the fan settings in VCM Editor these are PWM Linear Fans. Low, Med, High threshold temps are set ECT/TFT. I believe the 850W has a bigger fan and different blades, hence the additional wattage. I don't think any flashing or modifications will be necessary, unless you want to change those temp thresholds for fan operation on/off. The 850w is used in the 2.0IT, 392, and any JT that has the tow package.

z1krause

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Got my JT Grill Inserts and 850w (bigger fan motor and completely different fan blades) fan installed today. Everything fit perfectly. No issues with anything. Haven't run her super hard yet, but definitely running way cooler around town. With AC running and stopped, coolant got down to 192 which never happens this time of year. About 80 degrees out today. I'll report back after some highway pulls and when I get a chance to climb a little, but so far, it is definitely running cooler.

IMG_5649.jpeg

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Here is what I discovered and what I am working on
This is how the cooling system works or not working
The thermostat opens at 190 degrees
The cooling fans comes on at 1/4 speed at 221 and will only go fulls speed at 231 degrees
I have been trying to get control of the cooling system by adding a pusher fan on the condenser put this is what I found
Most cars including the jeep JK the condenser is mounted 1/4 to 1/2 in. from the radiator
On the Jeep JL the condenser is about 1 1/2 in. away from the radiator
I can get the pusher fan to shoot air though the condenser at 150 MPH put as soon as it hit the radiator the air blows out the large gaps between the condenser and radiator and NO air going through the radiator
Next step was to close the caps between the condenser and radiator to force the air through the radiator
So now with the gaps closed off I have about 15% of the air going through the radiator and the rest of the air is blowing back though the condenser and trans cooler
Two things wrong here. The gap between the condenser is to large and the radiator WILL NOT allow free flowing air to pass through it whether you are pushing air at 150 mph with a fan or diving down the road at 60 /70 mph and that is why you see a 30 to 40 degree swing in the coolant temps. You would thing driving down the road you are getting air passing through the radiator put you are getting very little to none until the fan kicks in and sucking the air through the radiator
I ordered a Mishimoto radiator it looks to have a more open core that will allow more free flowing air to pass through
I will install the Mishimoto and see how it goes
And NO. The radiator is not plugged in any way inside or out side. The jeep did this from day one . New in 2020
The Engineers got this one wrong and they knew it
READ THIS
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

UPDATE
The Mishimoto radiator made no difference in lowering the temperature
Step 2
Just installed the Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER
This is a game changer . Here is how your fan will work with this device

Operation:

When the engine is running the PWM fan will run at a low Idle speed (15%).
When the module reads the engine temp it will command the fan to the desired %.

Fahrenheit

199 degrees = 30%

205 degrees = 50%

212 degrees = 75%

218+ degrees = 100%

Override inputs: These are optional inputs depending on if you ordered them.

These inputs will run the fan as long as the unit is powered up, the engine does not have to be running for these to work. You can use these in various ways.

Example:
When the ( VIOLET ) wire has 12 volts applied the fan will run at MAX speed.

I have only three days of testing put my temps now run 188 to 192 at idle all day long
Normal driving I see 192 to 195 and 199 to 205 under hard acceleration put comes down real fast
Also I notest my oil temps are about 20 degrees lower mainly becouse the the engine is running cooler and now I have constant air movement over the oil cooler

This weekend I will be testing on a long up hill drive put I suspect of 215
I will keep you updated

info
Jon Schaefer RpmExtreme
205-631-8225 6774 Old Hwy 31N
Rpmextreme.com Gardendale, AL 35071

Bill2020

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4dr
Here is what I discovered and what I am working on
This is how the cooling system works or not working
The thermostat opens at 190 degrees
The cooling fans comes on at 1/4 speed at 221 and will only go fulls speed at 231 degrees
I have been trying to get control of the cooling system by adding a pusher fan on the condenser put this is what I found
Most cars including the jeep JK the condenser is mounted 1/4 to 1/2 in. from the radiator
On the Jeep JL the condenser is about 1 1/2 in. away from the radiator
I can get the pusher fan to shoot air though the condenser at 150 MPH put as soon as it hit the radiator the air blows out the large gaps between the condenser and radiator and NO air going through the radiator
Next step was to close the caps between the condenser and radiator to force the air through the radiator
So now with the gaps closed off I have about 15% of the air going through the radiator and the rest of the air is blowing back though the condenser and trans cooler
Two things wrong here. The gap between the condenser is to large and the radiator WILL NOT allow free flowing air to pass through it whether you are pushing air at 150 mph with a fan or diving down the road at 60 /70 mph and that is why you see a 30 to 40 degree swing in the coolant temps. You would thing driving down the road you are getting air passing through the radiator put you are getting very little to none until the fan kicks in and sucking the air through the radiator
I ordered a Mishimoto radiator it looks to have a more open core that will allow more free flowing air to pass through
I will install the Mishimoto and see how it goes
And NO. The radiator is not plugged in any way inside or out side. The jeep did this from day one . New in 2020
The Engineers got this one wrong and they knew it
READ THIS
https://jalopnik.com/the-engineering-behind-the-jeep-gladiators-tow-rating-1833657453

UPDATE
The Mishimoto radiator made no difference in lowering the temperature
Step 2
Just installed the Rpmextreme JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER
This is a game changer . Here is how your fan will work with this device

Operation:

When the engine is running the PWM fan will run at a low Idle speed (15%).
When the module reads the engine temp it will command the fan to the desired %.

Fahrenheit

199 degrees = 30%

205 degrees = 50%

212 degrees = 75%

218+ degrees = 100%

Override inputs: These are optional inputs depending on if you ordered them.

These inputs will run the fan as long as the unit is powered up, the engine does not have to be running for these to work. You can use these in various ways.

Example:
When the ( VIOLET ) wire has 12 volts applied the fan will run at MAX speed.

I have only three days of testing put my temps now run 188 to 192 at idle all day long
Normal driving I see 192 to 195 and 199 to 205 under hard acceleration put comes down real fast
Also I notest my oil temps are about 20 degrees lower mainly becouse the the engine is running cooler and now I have constant air movement over the oil cooler

This weekend I will be testing on a long up hill drive put I suspect of 215
I will keep you updated

info
Jon Schaefer RpmExtreme
205-631-8225 6774 Old Hwy 31N
Rpmextreme.com Gardendale, AL 35071
Did you do the 850 Watt fan swap in addition to this? I tow a 3200# trailer in CO and WY mountains and regularly push the temps high. I have only Derated a couple times but would like to be able to tow without derating on long grades if possible.

Willys41

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Willys
Bill2020

I did replace the fan first with a 850 watt and then again with a 940 watt
You will have to also upgrade the alternator to a a 240 amp along with the Z-fuse
If you have the tow package you may already have the 240 amp alternator and 850 watt fan
However you may get by with just installing the JEEP JL PWM FAN CONTROLLER
Here in info on the fan upgrade

https://www.rubitrux.com/jeep-wrang...mplete-with-shroud-68272755ad-68282799ad.html
Sponsored