Sponsored

$83K 392...JL, Front camera and rear washer not working???

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Unions come from a time when automakers habitually abused workers, and anyone else who got in their way. Unsurprisingly, auto unions have lost their much of their reason for being —as highlighted by the string of corruption charges in UAW leadership.

Nevertheless, if assembly workers don’t connect their job to quality, that is management’s fault.

If quality is not a priority at the highest level, there’s no way quality will be a priority at the lowest levels.
Sponsored

OP
OP
CUERVO

CUERVO

First Name
JOSE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 RUBICON JL, 2021 392 Extreme Recon JL.
Occupation
Surgical Guidance/Pelvic Fusion/Trauma-RAD
Unions have historically done a great, and necessary, job of protecting the American workers from greedy manufacturers, but their charters don't seem to focus on quality workmanship. Maybe I'm wrong and craftmanship is as important to them as job security.
Originally, Unions...had a legitimate purpose. They would be the voice and helped those that were forced to remain silent and sometimes abused and taken advantage of. Today, from Auto, Police, Teachers and such, they've become as corrupt and self indulging as the corporation's that they were supposed to protect us from.

Now....I will also say that both, not all unions and or the workers they represent are the same and or corrupt...but when money is involved....meh

OP
OP
CUERVO

CUERVO

First Name
JOSE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 RUBICON JL, 2021 392 Extreme Recon JL.
Occupation
Surgical Guidance/Pelvic Fusion/Trauma-RAD
Unions come from a time when automakers habitually abused workers, and anyone else who got in their way. Unsurprisingly, auto unions have lost their much of their reason for being —as highlighted by the string of corruption charges in UAW leadership.

Nevertheless, if assembly workers don’t connect their job to quality, that is management’s fault.

If quality is not a priority at the highest level, there’s no way quality will be a priority at the lowest levels.
Truth spoken.... well done.

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
You mustn’t of seen the guy who took delivery and the pitman arm arm wasn’t even torqued down(finger tight). It isn’t the workers fault, FCA like many others want quantity over quality and if you stop that like they’re breathing down your neck.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
You mustn’t of seen the guy who took delivery and the pitman arm arm wasn’t even torqued down(finger tight). It isn’t the workers fault, FCA like many others want quantity over quality and if you stop that like they’re breathing down your neck.
I have trouble not placing any culpability on a worker who lets a safety issue leave the factory. A pitman arm is way different than a washer fluid hose.

Sponsored

Monster1926

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Silverado 2500HD midnight
I have trouble not placing any culpability on a worker who lets a safety issue leave the factory. A pitman arm is way different than a washer fluid hose.
Pittman arm absolutely not. There have been situations where a vehicle was being repaired and a boss buys off the repair before it’s finished and it gets shipped. The problem is when they start cutting and combining jobs. One worker who use to do 3 things on the Jeep now has to do 5 in the same work span. The uaw jobs aren’t what they used to be. The cycle times are probably 50-55 seconds per vehicle.

Mrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tj, jl
If you want an expensive fine carriage, and to be serviced like a princess... you bought the wrong experimental big bore, body on frame, solid axle truck.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Pittman arm absolutely not. There have been situations where a vehicle was being repaired and a boss buys off the repair before it’s finished and it gets shipped. The problem is when they start cutting and combining jobs. One worker who use to do 3 things on the Jeep now has to do 5 in the same work span. The uaw jobs aren’t what they used to be. The cycle times are probably 50-55 seconds per vehicle.
True, but at the same time, most assembly workers are equipped with tools that speed up the process and stop at the prescribed torque level. These are also connected to recording devices and can be tracked back to the VIN. Doesn't make sense that the Jeep continued down the line without a torque reading on the pitman arm unless someone overrode it.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Dealer doesn’t typically visually inspect them to that level unfortunately. My gladiator also had that washer line disconnected, inner fender liner was missing the Xmas tree push pin, and I had a wiring harness wrapped around exhaust manifold.
I lost half a fender liner (tire ate it on the highway) because of no x-mas tree, but I had replaced the front bumper with a stubby and knew that would void the warranty on that part because the aerodynamics changed. Found a chunk of plastic on the trail and zip-tied in place. It's still there 10k miles later and actually looks pretty good if I may praise my shitbox fab skills.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I worked in the Quality profession as a quality engineer for years. As stated, quality starts at the top, just like any important aspect of a business. But, it also is something that workers can greatly influence, both good and bad. I have knowledge of workers that have done things that ended in horrific events, just because they were disgruntled with negotiations between the company and union. Company management can't succeed without a good relationship with their workers. So, a good relationship is a very high priority in a business.

But, all this snowflake jibber-jabber about workers (or unions) being "partners" is complete BS and I believe it serves to embolden workers into thinking they "invested" in a company and deserve to be able dictate wages, benefits, etc.. Many workers today grew up with this false rhetoric. Our politicians don't help when they spout this crap. An employee shows up for a job ad. They agree to the terms of employment; the company will pay you $$ + xx benefits for your performance of the stated duties . They didn't hock their house and bring the money to the owner of the business and ask to be able to invest it in new machinery or buildings. Some workers today need a reality check.

Jeep has the poor quality it has because they let it happen. Maybe it took decades of poor relations with their union workers or maybe the management just doesn't know how to manage good quality. But, poor quality is often enough, the death nell of companies, when customers start spending elsewhere. The Bronco ought to be a wakeup call to FCA/Jeep management as well as the workers. Ford is predatory in the markets they chose. While the Bronco is just an upstart now, in 10 years it could easily push FCA out of this niche market. I believe they are planning to do exactly that. Corporate strategy is about market share.

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
I worked in the Quality profession as a quality engineer for years. As stated, quality starts at the top, just like any important aspect of a business. But, it also is something that workers can greatly influence, both good and bad. I have knowledge of workers that have done things that ended in horrific events, just because they were disgruntled with negotiations between the company and union. Company management can't succeed without a good relationship with their workers. So, a good relationship is a very high priority in a business.

But, all this snowflake jibber-jabber about workers (or unions) being "partners" is complete BS and I believe it serves to embolden workers into thinking they "invested" in a company and deserve to be able dictate wages, benefits, etc.. Many workers today grew up with this false rhetoric. Our politicians don't help when they spout this crap. An employee shows up for a job ad. They agree to the terms of employment; the company will pay you $$ + xx benefits for your performance of the stated duties . They didn't hock their house and bring the money to the owner of the business and ask to be able to invest it in new machinery or buildings. Some workers today need a reality check.

Jeep has the poor quality it has because they let it happen. Maybe it took decades of poor relations with their union workers or maybe the management just doesn't know how to manage good quality. But, poor quality is often enough, the death nell of companies, when customers start spending elsewhere. The Bronco ought to be a wakeup call to FCA/Jeep management as well as the workers. Ford is predatory in the markets they chose. While the Bronco is just an upstart now, in 10 years it could easily push FCA out of this niche market. I believe they are planning to do exactly that. Corporate strategy is about market share.
Wouldn’t a worker who feels invested in a company be a better “worker”?
Quality needs improvement over profits in every company regardless of what they manufracture.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Wouldn’t a worker who feels invested in a company be a better “worker”?
Quality needs improvement over profits in every company regardless of what they manufracture.
I think he means to say they feel entitled despite the workers not actually having invested in the company.

Quality suffers because the customer base doesn’t prioritize it. It’ll change over time but the 392 is still a Jeep.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I don’t understand - for my new build Jeep Chat told me they are inspecting my vehicle and rest assured it’s to meet Jeep’s very high standards of quality.

I had believed them - as it’s been stuck in inspection status for over 2 weeks now!! 😂😂

The Pointer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One
My wife’s brother in law worked at Honda plants in Ohio for about 30 years and saw the evolution of how assembly lines operated during different times. In his early years the line would stop when a defect was identified during a build, fixed and the line restarted. Now the delivery is more important and lines rarely, if ever stop for defects. It’s all been passed down to the dealerships for the solution. Management and bean counters account for many of the quality failures we deal with today.
I don’t rely on staff expertise or experience to correctly answer questions from any store either. Low expectations are the norm in this country.
Sponsored