80th Anniversary Wheels & Tires

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel, 2013 JK Sport & 2014 JK Sport
Just ordered an 80th Anniversary EcoDiesel and I want to go to 33 inch tires... I don't hate the wheels, but for just a little more than the cost of new tires and mounting & balancing I can buy a set of Rubicon takeoffs... do you think there's demand for the 80th Anniversary Tires & Wheels and what would be a good price? (I've seen Sport Wheels and Tires lists as 'Rubicon" for $1,350 on Craigslist and shockingly, they're still there)
Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
From what I've seen, the only demand from Wrangler owners regarding OEM wheels and tires is..."I demand a bargain!" And they get those bargains, because so many Wrangler owners remove their stock wheels and tires eventually, and even immediately.

My personal taste and take is that the OEM wheels are fine, but not particularly cool looking, but they are a bargain for their lightweight. There aren't many aftermarket wheels that are lighter.

I doubt anyone's going to be looking for a stock showroom Wrangler restoration decades from now.

Sarge80

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Jlu sport 80th anniversary
I struggled with the same decision. There doesn't seem to be much demand for any takeoffs besides Rubicon stuff. In the end I liked the stock rims better than the Rubicon take offs I was seeing, so I went with duratrac 275/70/18s. I like them for now, but eventually will go to 35s on 17s.
PhotoGrid_1609433782783~2.jpg

OP
OP

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually like the Sport S wheels and they're fairly easy to come by at a good price (some people ask"Rubicon money" though). I may grab a set of them and and go with a 285/75R17 Toyo (load range C)

Turfzilla

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 80th Anniversary, 2003 Tj Rubicon
I really like the 80th wheel. Nothing else has it. I definitely would not swap it out for a rubicon wheel.

Sponsored

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
I struggled with the same decision. There doesn't seem to be much demand for any takeoffs besides Rubicon stuff. In the end I liked the stock rims better than the Rubicon take offs I was seeing, so I went with duratrac 275/70/18s. I like them for now, but eventually will go to 35s on 17s.
Jeep Wrangler JL 80th Anniversary Wheels & Tires PhotoGrid_1609433782783~2
More pics please! This is exactly the tire I was planning to go with on my 80th. Is this stock suspension?

Sarge80

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a couple more. That's on stock suspension. I now have 1.75“ wheel spacers on and have the AEV 2" spacer lift ready to put on when I get some time.
Jeep Wrangler JL 80th Anniversary Wheels & Tires PXL_20201231_181750259
Jeep Wrangler JL 80th Anniversary Wheels & Tires PXL_20201231_181806000

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Here's a couple more. That's on stock suspension. I now have 1.75“ wheel spacers on and have the AEV 2" spacer lift ready to put on when I get some time.
Thanks! That looks great. I'm still debating about whether or not to go with a Rubi takeoff suspension or just do the tires alone. One and only concern is fuel mileage...it's my wife's daily driver and she's already crying about barely being able to get to 20mpg in completely stock form. I don't see any way to go bigger in tire and not lose MPGs...I lost 2mpg on my Tahoe going from the stock setup (31" tires) to this exact size Duratrac along with a 2.25" lift. That would be unacceptable for her so we may be keeping it stock.

Did you note your fuel mileage change with the new tires?

Sarge80

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! That looks great. I'm still debating about whether or not to go with a Rubi takeoff suspension or just do the tires alone. One and only concern is fuel mileage...it's my wife's daily driver and she's already crying about barely being able to get to 20mpg in completely stock form. I don't see any way to go bigger in tire and not lose MPGs...I lost 2mpg on my Tahoe going from the stock setup (31" tires) to this exact size Duratrac along with a 2.25" lift. That would be unacceptable for her so we may be keeping it stock.

Did you note your fuel mileage change with the new tires?
I really didn't have the stocks on long enough to tell if there is any difference in fuel mileage, but I assume it did take a bit of a hit. I do feel the extra weight of these tires. Installed these measure almost 32.75" whereas the stocks were about 31.25"

OP
OP

kmmn

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I picked a take off Rubicon Diesel suspension (need to order the LCAs) and I'm going to go with a set of take off 17 inch wheels... Trying to decide between 285/70R17 and 285/75R17
Sponsored