Sponsored

$800? No Thanks.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Sponsored

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
arb has always been known to be expensive, but with that price comes quality so better than a lot of brands out there that just grab the generic white label stuff from china slap their name on it and charge 10x

as for me i would never buy that, yes the hilights are sketchy as fuck, the handle gaining a mind of its own is the only thing that i see that gets solved by this and it is not work that much in upsell, but the hi lifts are also durable because of their simplicity

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I see a lot of them at the ORP - usually owned by the Land Rover guys.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I've seen one used. They're expensive but I'd probably buy one, it just wouldn't be first on my gear list.

Sponsored

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
I've had one for about a year. Yes, they are expensive and no, the Hi-Lift jack isn't even close to the lifting jack that this is. Very smooth and easy to operate. Kids can even use this jack without much issue.

At the 2019 NW Overland Rally, Mule Outfitters had one set up and the young gal pictured took her turn at lifting that big overloaded Ram pick-up and did it quite easily.

Jeep Wrangler JL $800?  No Thanks. arb-jack-lifting-big-dodge-truck

I got mine soon after and even though we've never had to use it in an emergency, the wife loves that she can easily lift our Jeep if she needed to change a tire or help get us unstuck.

Will it ever replace a Hi-Lift Jack? NO, the Hi-Lift jack is one of the most useful tools that most people will never use to all it's capabilities. Lifting, winching, stabilizing, clamping etc.

The ARB Jack is designed to do one thing and it does it very well: Smoothly and easily lifting and lowering a vehicle. BTW- They also making breaking the bead on a tire real easy, but it's the same lifting motion, so I still count it as one.

If I'm out teaching a Hi-Lift class, I bring them both, just to give others the chance to see/use them both and see the differences. 11 out of 10 people will tell you they would rather lift their vehicle using the ARB Jack.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I've had one for about a year. Yes, they are expensive and no, the Hi-Lift jack isn't even close to the lifting jack that this is. Very smooth and easy to operate. Kids can even use this jack without much issue.

At the 2019 NW Overland Rally, Mule Outfitters had one set up and the young gal pictured took her turn at lifting that big overloaded Ram pick-up and did it quite easily.

Jeep Wrangler JL $800?  No Thanks. arb-jack-lifting-big-dodge-truck

I got mine soon after and even though we've never had to use it in an emergency, the wife loves that she can easily lift our Jeep if she needed to change a tire or help get us unstuck.

Will it ever replace a Hi-Lift Jack? NO, the Hi-Lift jack is one of the most useful tools that most people will never use to all it's capabilities. Lifting, winching, stabilizing, clamping etc.

The ARB Jack is designed to do one thing and it does it very well: Smoothly and easily lifting and lowering a vehicle. BTW- They also making breaking the bead on a tire real easy, but it's the same lifting motion, so I still count it as one.

If I'm out teaching a Hi-Lift class, I bring them both, just to give others the chance to see/use them both and see the differences. 11 out of 10 people will tell you they would rather lift their vehicle using the ARB Jack.
It's a great looking tool and seems to be very well designed. I just have to agree with the others that it is overpriced especially considering that, as you said, it doesn't replace all the functionality of a high lift.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I have one. Incredible quality. I’ve never had an ARB product that I didn’t find superior vs a competitor actually.
apples to volleyballs comparison but I had an ARB bumper on a TJ that survived a 6 point strike at 70+ Mph in ad to 3 accidents, two of which totaled the other car.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
I have one. Incredible quality. I’ve never had an ARB product that I didn’t find superior vs a competitor actually.
apples to volleyballs comparison but I had an ARB bumper on a TJ that survived a 6 point strike at 70+ Mph in ad to 3 accidents, two of which totaled the other car.
I don't normally spend $1200 on a bumper.. but when I do... it will have an ARB badge on it.

SolarWizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nacho3lJT
Occupation
Owner @ Solar Co
I don't normally spend $1200 on a bumper.. but when I do... it will have an ARB badge on it.
ARBs werent the most expensive bumpers back then and they aren’t now. Theres also far more to the bumper than the badging. nonetheless some people get by just fine with cheap shit and some dont.

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
ARB comes from the land down under where things are more tightly regulated so you are paying for the AUS certifications.

Does this matter? Up to you to judge.

I have been underwhelmed by all things ARB I own. Not bad quality, but not worth the price.

For example Factor55 is nice stuff. You hold it and can tell a lot of care and attention went into it. Same with most other US built stuff.

My ARB compressor and brackets? Not so much. It works but pretty mediocre engineering and quality overall.

ARB recovery gear? Meh.

ARB air down stuff? Meh.

Better choices that are higher quality and same price range.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
Not sure why....since they are 1/8" material, there are far stronger options out there...although I do believe ARB crash tests theirs.
I've not seen any specs on the thickness on ARB's marketing for the "classic" bumper, but at nearly 200lbs, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that even if the skin is 1/8", there's more going on under the outer layer. Plus, it looks almost factory and is one of the few heavy-duty bumpers out there with a cover plate where the winch goes (my wife doesn't want a winch on her JL, but... has hit a deer near our house). Anecdotal evidence suggests that those Aussies know how to make a suicidal-animal-proof bumper.

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nerd
ARBs werent the most expensive bumpers back then and they aren’t now. Theres also far more to the bumper than the badging. nonetheless some people get by just fine with cheap shit and some dont.
I get by just fine with cheap shit... my wife is another story.

My bumper: $150 amazon special.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
I've not seen any specs on the thickness on ARB's marketing for the "classic" bumper, but at nearly 200lbs, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that even if the skin is 1/8"
iirc - The main skin of the ARB bumpers are 4mm, which would be .157"-ish, so thicker than 1/8" (.120) more like halfway between 1/8" and 3/16".

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Well, whatever they're using doesn't hold up well to dents/dings from rockcrawling...IME of course.
No they don't and that's not what they're designed for.

The ARB line is more designed for the Overlanders and Back Country Explorers that want something that looks good in the city too.
Sponsored