Sponsored

8 year 125k MOPAR Max Care Warranty (best price)

MORubi

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Construction
Gotcha. I’m sure they’re both good people.. Cheaper when speaking apples to apples is still cheaper.
I would agree. Wonder if Tom went up in price. We had the lifetime plan for 2018 JLUR
Sponsored

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I assume this warrantly excludes modified vehicles?

linuxos77

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sahara
I have Geico mechanical breakdown coverage on both our Jeeps. It's around $10/month each on our policy and covers all mechanical/cooling/electrical issues on your vehicle for 10yr/100k miles with $250 deductible. They said even things like the head unit fall under the electrical coverage. Last winter on our Renegade the drive shaft needed replacing which was going to cost around $750. I called Geico and they handled everything with our local mechanic within an hour (they even paid the total via credit card over the phone). Mechanic told me they made it super simple, basically asked for the breakdown in cost (labor and parts) and if the Renegade was modified in that area. Luckily haven't had to use it on our Wrangler yet, but I'm confident the process would go just as smoothly.

Sponsored

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Just some info on extended warranties, for those on the fence.

55 percent of owners who purchased an extended warranty hadn’t used it for repairs during the lifetime of the policy

Among survey participants who used their policy, the median out-of-pocket savings on repairs covered by extended warranties for all brands was $837. Based on a $1,214 average initial cost, that works out to a net loss of more than $375.

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I've said this in other threads but for every Chrysler vehicle I have ever owned an extended warranty would have paid for itself by the time I sold it. It took me a few vehicles before I learned that lesson and I bought a Mopar lifetime Maxcare warranty (no longer offered) for our 2013 JK. When we traded it in on our JLU 7.5 years later the cost I paid for that warranty was about half of what the repair costs would have been over the years.

Although I have not yet purchased a Maxcare warranty for our JLU I plan to before the 3/36 factory warranty expires.

rent

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Is there a price difference based on when during the 3/36 period you purchase the extended warranty? i.e., cost more when buying at the end of that period vs beginning?

WhyBerg

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Is there a price difference based on when during the 3/36 period you purchase the extended warranty? i.e., cost more when buying at the end of that period vs beginning?
Curious about this too. For my GMC, there was…the lower miles/more years left, the lower the price. The guy I worked with said the sweet spot was around 12k miles, since it just got more & more expensive from there.

hoping someone could chime in from personal experience with the Mopar warranty.

Ron93YJ

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Tom Winkles told me I had until 12k miles before the first price increase (unless Mopar raises their prices in the meantime).

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
My 2013 JKU 3000 miles after the original warranty expired had oil pressure sensor issue - $500 repair. If I remember the sensor is part of the plastic manifold and it’s the labor charge that gets you.

at 87k the AC went out. - $200 diagnostic fee and two days at dealer. Then dealer said we need more authorized diagnostic time to understand issue, request additional $300 to cover. I asked if I do repairs will diagnostic charge be removed? They said no, it’s completely separate. Possibility of $3000 parts and labor for new AC. I declined and took the Jeep home.

Don’t know what the sequence of failure was but here is what I remember. Turns out the AC had expansion valve failure and pieces traveled thru system plugging and damaging other parts. Pressure transducer failed to cycle off the compressor (so it never turned off and ran to failure). Line over pressured and dumped all Freon (just the recharge of Freon is a pricey cost). Pretty much complete remove and replace of system was needed.

No A/C in Las Vegas is not an option for me so I traded in my JKU. Looking into JLURD in future.

With new engines today and all electronics and tech, I have been purchasing extended warranties since then. And I also purchase tire certificates from discount tire.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
Just some info on extended warranties, for those on the fence.

55 percent of owners who purchased an extended warranty hadn’t used it for repairs during the lifetime of the policy

Among survey participants who used their policy, the median out-of-pocket savings on repairs covered by extended warranties for all brands was $837. Based on a $1,214 average initial cost, that works out to a net loss of more than $375.
This is true based on an average across all makes. But as an owner asking "should I get an extended warranty for MY vehicle?" the above information is pretty much useless. For example, i'm not interested in how extended warranties pay off for a Toyota Camry or Chevy Malibu. I want to know about the Wrangler. I'm a former long time GM guy and I can say that I never would have invested in an extended warranty for any of the GM vehicles i've owned...and looking back, I'm glad I didn't cause it NEVER would have paid off. However, the Wrangler is not a Malibu or Tahoe, and in my short time as an owner I got all the information I need to know that it's a terrible idea to own one of these without coverage. There are countless examples of issues that are common to the Wrangler that would cost more to fix than all the money i've spent on problems on my Tahoe in its 11 years of life.

Also, you do need to weigh the cost of coverage vs what you are likely to pay for issues. I mean i'm going to be paying around $1000 for my coverage, which is an easy call. But if you are higher in mileage or looking for a lot more coverage you may be paying $3k+ and that might change the equation.

Sdallnct

First Name
Scott Dallal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Sport 2door manual
Sooo…..is there a primer (something the tells about) on Mopar extended warranty.

Im about 85% sure I‘ll be ordering a 2022 as soon as available to order. And a big reason is my 2016 (58,000 miles) is still in the shop getting a left cylinder head replacement that I was initially told I’d have to pay $3,800. After a bit of discussion, they agreed to file a claim with Chrysler who is now “giving me” good faith assistance and I’ll pay a deductible. But this is the third “significant” engine work I’ve they have done. First was at 34,000 miles, 2nd at 54,000 miles and now this at 58,000. If I had to pay for all that, would have been $8,000+.

I know, I know. After this, most common things have been happened and I could never have a problem again. But I have lost faith in this one.

But I can’t bring myself to buying anything other than a Wrangler. I really love mine (other than all the engine issues). so I’ll get one under warranty and considering an extended warranty.

I see there are a couple options along with a couple deductible options. Is there a chart that breaks it all down including pricing? At least retail pricing? And I see some people buy right away and other wait till at at least the 3 yea warranty is up. Lastly, I have a Rancho 2” lift on mine and assumed I’d do same on new one. However, I see some “debate” on better get the Mopar if getting the extended warranty.

As an alternative, I could do something like double the money I set aside for mods and accessories. If I did that starting day one, I’d have a pretty good chunk set aside by the time the 3 year warranty expired.

Looking for thoughts, ideas, suggestions.
Sponsored