8-Speed Automatic Question

Jmbeachner

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys 4dr 3.6 eTorque
I just recently purchased my first Jeep JL 4dr Willys. And for the most part absolutely LOVE it. My Gf also purchased a Willys and having driven both through different parts of our community, I notice that mine tends to hold itself in 7th gear longer at 70-80 mph…obviously impacting fuel economy. The only difference is that I’m running with the top off and hers isn’t. Has anyone else had an issue with the transmission not wanting to stay in 8th gear on mostly flat highway? And not being an expert in aerodynamics, could it just be that there is greater drag with the top off?
Sponsored

west tex

First Name
Skoro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2dr 80th Edition, 2017 Renegade Trailhawk
Occupation
Retired, as in "Tired again"
The top off creates turbulence, which translates into drag.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Modern transmissions learn to adapt to their owner’s driving habits.

Sounds like you have a heavier foot than your gf.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Mine stays in 7th at 70mph. I have 4.10 gears and 37" tires that took away 8th. Do both Jeeps have the same size tires and same gear ratios?

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
As mentioned, the 850RE is a learning transmission.

Over time, the 8-speed in my JLU has adapted to my light[er] right foot. So, on those occasions when I give it a few beans, the transmission doesn't always downshift (a) as quickly as I might like, as it certainly would when (b) the vehicle was still new with low miles.

That's not really a complaint, since my high average fuel mileage is 28 mpg. If I need speed now, I can always use the Auto Stick function to quickly choose the gear I think will work best when I give the accelerator a good press.

OP
OP
Jmbeachner

Jmbeachner

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Willys 4dr 3.6 eTorque
Mine stays in 7th at 70mph. I have 4.10 gears and 37" tires that took away 8th. Do both Jeeps have the same size tires and same gear ratios?
Yeah same exact vehicle. Both with factory Willys wheels and tires.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
I just recently purchased my first Jeep JL 4dr Willys. And for the most part absolutely LOVE it. My Gf also purchased a Willys and having driven both through different parts of our community, I notice that mine tends to hold itself in 7th gear longer at 70-80 mph…obviously impacting fuel economy. The only difference is that I’m running with the top off and hers isn’t. Has anyone else had an issue with the transmission not wanting to stay in 8th gear on mostly flat highway? And not being an expert in aerodynamics, could it just be that there is greater drag with the top off?
Yeah, driving with the top down on the highway is almost like driving with a parachute. Tremendous drag. That and you likely have a heavier foot and the trans has learned to anticipate your greater need for speed.

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
I was watching mine closely while driving 70+ mph for over an hour Sunday with the top down, and I was staying in 8th gear most of the time.
Sponsored