8 speed auto questions?

WillIeB

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Colorado
I know I said I was stuck on getting a JL manual, going to test drive a 2018 JL Sport with the 8 speed auto. My 16 JKU had the W5A580 auto, loved it - how is the 8 speed auto in the JL? I assume it is the 8RFE?

Thanks.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I know I said I was stuck on getting a JL manual, going to test drive a 2018 JL Sport with the 8 speed auto. My 16 JKU had the W5A580 auto, loved it - how is the 8 speed auto in the JL? I assume it is the 8RFE?

Thanks.
It the 8HP50 in the 3.6 and 2.0. Diesels get 8HP75. Not sure on the 392, but some varient of the ZF 8HP that FCA leased the rights to build.

So far, 3 years/38K miles, its been fantastic.

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
This is easy:
Manual Lovers: All Slushboxes are junk. I want to have the best driving experience possible with my JL as long as it has climate control, a great stereo, TC, ABS, Stability Control, Fuel Injection etc...

Everyone Else: We just live with something that works great and enjoy it. We can manually shift it or just let it do it's job (we like choices). Plus we like the increased performance and can accept technology.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara

Thanks.
Two family members and a close friend at work have JK autos. My close friend at work has a 2015 auto. I test drove his before I test drove my JLU 8spd auto. To me, the JLU 8spd is night and day better than the JK auto. Driving the JLU3.6 auto after driving his JK is what made me realize there was no way I'd be happy with a JK. That's my opinion and all anyone can offer... I'd say test drive the JL 8spd for yourself.

Last edited:

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
This is easy:
Manual Lovers: All Slushboxes are junk. I want to have the best driving experience possible with my JL as long as it has climate control, a great stereo, TC, ABS, Stability Control, Fuel Injection etc...

Everyone Else: We just live with something that works great and enjoy it. We can manually shift it or just let it do it's job (we like choices). Plus we like the increased performance and can accept technology.
Don't think he's asking for a manual vs auto opinion. He mentions he had a JK auto and loved it and wants opinions on the JL auto...

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
I had a 2018 JK loaner for a few weeks while waiting for my 392.
It was built in the same month as my 2018 JL was.

It had the same engine.

I cannot believe how much of a difference there was - it's night and day. The 3.6/5 speed auto in the JK felt like every junky automatic transmission I love to hate - slow to shift, hunted for the right gears going uphill, made the vehicle feel slow. If you thought the transmission in the JK was acceptable AT ALL, you'll think the ZF 8 speed in the JL was pulled straight out of a Ferrari.

Packnbeer

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
so smooth you can barely tell when it shifts. Excellent performance and just smooth as silk. You wont regret it

Sponsored

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
The zf 8 speed is generally considered one of the best automatic transmissions ever made. Efficient, reliable, smooth. I have the same transmission in my 11 year old audi with 160,000 miles that is excellent and reliable in that car too. Drive one and you will be pleased by its performance.

Enfield

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Willys
I've had both and it's going to come down to whether you actually enjoy and prefer driving a manual. A manual is always going to have better throttle control and a better feeling of connectedness to the car than even the best auto- simply because you're the one making the mistakes.

With that said, if you're asking the question and don't already have a strong preference for a manual transmission, don't hesitate to get the auto. It's a great transmission that's used in absolutely tons of vehicles for a reason.

To reiterate though (and maybe counter all the superlatives), it is still an automatic and unless you really use the manual mode it's not going to predict your intentions as well as you can with a manual. Overtaking on two-lane highway is much better in manual mode, or with a manual transmission.

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The ZF8 Chrysler has been using since 2015 is one of the finest automatic transmissions on the market, period. It is smooth, responsive, refined, durable, and always in the right gear.

Press the throttle ā€” or the brakes ā€” and you get an immediate downshift. The shifting is almost imperceptible.

These transmissions are used on everything from Chrysler 300s and Dodge Hellcats, to Ram pickups and Jeep Wagoneers, so they are built to take heavy loads.

Canā€™t go wrong with it. Really.
Sponsored