8 speed auto in 22' JL was impressive

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Great reply Jay, and yeah, the trans will do all the shifting, but not only just as quick, but quite a bit quicker :)
Brad,

Typically in several hundreds of milliseconds. Try doing that with a clutch pedal...

Jay
Sponsored

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
New member here, I'm about to get back into a Jeep after 12 years. My last one was an 05' TJ. I was set on a manual and today I got finally tested out the fit and feel of the new JL's. I was concerned with leg room after some reading and I'm glad I checked out both. I got a bad left knee and I like to stretch my leg straight out when driving. The new JL manuals don't let me do this without wedging my foot past the clutch pedal, then my shoe gets caught on the pedal on the way out. Damn it..... thats gonna suck on longer trips. Decided to test drive an auto w/ the 3.6, and it was a joy. I really liked it and was impressed with the motor and trans combo. Now I'm torn because even though I liked the auto there will probably be times I'll miss not having the manual. I will say I didn't like the feel of the clutch, super mushy and soft.

Anywho, its decision time and there is a nice Rubi on the lot with the 2.0T, didn't test drive it but that motor just doesn't appeal to me. Any regrets from you manual guys that switched to an auto trans JL?
After 43 years driving manual transmission, my left knee was really causing me problems. Doc said make a choice, knee replacement surgery or drive an automatic. Wasn't happy about it, but decided to test drive a JL with the 8 Speed, and after that, it was an easy choice. I can't find anything to fault with the JL 8 speed auto, and I wouldn't go back to manual for everyday driving. I may restore an old CJ when I retire, and I'll make that a manual, cause I won't be driving it much. But for regular use, it's automatic from here on out.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Best,
-Tim

OP
OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Well, picked up my Willys 2.0L, auto. Got to get used to the sounds of the 4 banger turbo.
Steering is little wonky, seems the steering the wheel is slightly cocked to the left when driving straight and it seems I gotta hold the steering slightly to the left more to keep it straight if that makes sense. Aired down to 38 from 43 pounds in the tires. Might help the feel, but I'll probably be taking it back to get the steering wheel adjusted.

tempImagepcthTE.png

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Well, picked up my Willys 2.0L, auto. Got to get used to the sounds of the 4 banger turbo.
Steering is little wonky, seems the steering the wheel is slightly cocked to the left when driving straight and it seems I gotta hold the steering slightly to the left more to keep it straight if that makes sense. Aired down to 38 from 43 pounds in the tires. Might help the feel, but I'll probably be taking it back to get the steering wheel adjusted.

Jeep Wrangler JL 8 speed auto in 22' JL was impressive tempImagepcthTE
Congrats, and you'll get used to the drive pretty quickly or maybe a couple tweaks along the way :)
Nice looking Jeep btw!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
The ZF 8 speed auto in the Wrangler is the first automatic transmission I've used that is so good I'd say manuals don't need to exist except for fun.

Apparently these are popular transmissions in european cars? I don't know of any other American or Japanese brands that have ZF transmissions. Nothing else I've driven has come close to the level of smoothness and refinement.
It's an exceptional torque converter automatic transmission. BMW and other cars uses a version of this ZF 8-speed. The ZF 8-speed replaced the dual clutch SMG transmission in the M3/M4. The ZF is also in the Toyota Supra and the tune for it is phenomenal.

Sponsored

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
I think for me personally, I am just a really stubborn, set in my ways type of person.

I have never owned a Jeep (5 or 6, from YJ to JK) with an auto.

That isn't to say I refuse to drive one. If my girlfriend wanted an auto wrangler, I'd happily buy one and drive it on occassion.

It just wouldn't be my go to. Yes, I know the ZF is literally the best auto on the market. Yes, I know the stock clutch is meh at best and will be replaced with a centerforce quicker than I would probably like.

There is just something about a stick in a Jeep (especially 2 door, the only type I own) that reminds me of the good old days. I have said it in a few threads, but I would have ordered hand crank windows if it was an option on the Rubicon. I would have even paid more for it.

With all that said, I love the air conditioning, I am not THAT hardcore.

macphisto13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT but wanting to add a Jeep to my stable

Jeep Wrangler JL 8 speed auto in 22' JL was impressive tempImagepcthTE
Congrats! Looks great! I agree with you on the sounds of the 2.0 turbo. I've got about 1100 miles on mine and I'm not used to the sound it makes. BUT I have zero issues with the performance of either the engine or the auto trans.

About your steering issue... you've probably done this but I would make sure it's not a crosswind causing that. I thought something similar then I drove in the opposite direction and had to position the wheel exactly opposite where it was going the other way. It's definitely different than driving my other car which has tight, spot on steering.
Sponsored