First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I know I'll get some static from the hardcore MT guys, but there is absolutely NO reason to have a manual in this day and age, except if you just like playing with clutches and sticks, or use it for theft protection . The auto's in any modern vehicle are great, and, I think, especially the 8spd in the JL.

G.
It’s OK. I used to be very much that guy who’d give you static, argue how wrong you are, and want to actually fight you for saying an automatic transmission is good or that manuals were outdated or unnecessary. I was the “it’s not really driving if the transmission is doing the shifting for you” or “it makes you a better or more aware driver” or “a manual is required for a deep connection with the driving experience “ guy. For 100 different reasons, I was wrong. I don’t hold a grudge against folks who still want to drive stick, but I do snicker when they make the tired old arguments I used to make. Drivers agree with me and so do manufacturers. If people wanted manuals, they’d make them. For the 7 guys on forums willing to shout it from the rooftops and die in that hill I say more power to you brother. I hear you. Unfortunately car makers don’t.
Sponsored

Apexcars

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RAM 1500
I’ve had 2 RAM trucks with e-torque. A 2014 that I put over 100,000 miles on and now a 2020. I’ve never had a single problem with either truck. i was worried about e-torque at first too but not anymore. As to what it does, basically it just smoothed out stop-star to the point that you really don’t even notice it. The electrics take over for the first quarter turn of the wheels when you let off the brake.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
Any recent word of the 2.0T being discontinued? It would be a little more appealing to me without the e-torque crap that comes with it. That complexity of things just makes raise my eyebrow
The 2022 2.0s don’t have eTorque.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I was pretty set on getting a manual when I bought my 2021 JL Willys.

I didn't like the clutch but that's because I am used to stiff return springs vs. hydraulics. It felt disengaged, I couldn't get used to the take up and a quick shift was not, well, quick.

I drove a 2.0T with the 8 speed and was blown away. The manual shift option really works for me and it does so without a mushy feeling clutch being in the way.

Good luck with your choice.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
there are reasons so many mfrs (including even Toyota) use the ZF 8-spd trans.
i thought the AW4 in my old J**p was one of the best ever (also used by Toyota) until i got this one.

i've had plenty of fun with clutches and still do. but i like having an automatic in my off-road vehicles for a number of reasons.
one is torque multiplication from the torque convertor. another is the reduction of shock loading on components that the automatic affords.
but being the victim of an active lifestyle and having dealt with and helped out with multiple surgical repairs, i don't want to be in the way-back with a vehicle that requires all 4 extremities to be working if i were unlucky enough to be hurt (again).

then there's the commute; if you're lucky enough that you never deal with stop-and-slow traffic this may not be an issue for you, but my autos keep everything in an appropriate gear all the time without requiring my effort and intervention.

test drive everything you can. i personally was very impressed with the EcoDiesel (which uses a variant of the same ZF 8-spd trans) for a variety of reasons including its MPG, range and torque, and have been very happy with it.

bottom line; you probably can't go wrong with the ZF Auto unless you have a major desire to row your own.

New member here, I'm about to get back into a Jeep after 12 years. My last one was an 05' TJ. I was set on a manual and today I got finally tested out the fit and feel of the new JL's. I was concerned with leg room after some reading and I'm glad I checked out both. I got a bad left knee and I like to stretch my leg straight out when driving. The new JL manuals don't let me do this without wedging my foot past the clutch pedal, then my shoe gets caught on the pedal on the way out. Damn it..... thats gonna suck on longer trips. Decided to test drive an auto w/ the 3.6, and it was a joy. I really liked it and was impressed with the motor and trans combo. Now I'm torn because even though I liked the auto there will probably be times I'll miss not having the manual. I will say I didn't like the feel of the clutch, super mushy and soft.

Anywho, its decision time and there is a nice Rubi on the lot with the 2.0T, didn't test drive it but that motor just doesn't appeal to me. Any regrets from you manual guys that switched to an auto trans JL?

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
A basic test drive isn't gonna tell me much on the JL manual, the biggest concern I have is not being able to stretch my left leg out. I'm a tall dude and with a bad knee.
I'd think a bad left knee would be detrimental to shifting a manual transmission, at least if you have a lot of stop and go traffic. I enjoyed a manual unless I had to continually push in the clutch.

I ordered my 1992 Dodge Dakota with a manual because an automatic just wouldn't do it for me at that time. Had to go with the 6 cylinder instead of the 8 because the 8 only came with the auto. Put over 100,000 miles on that Dakota and had to install a new clutch and pressure plate about a year before I sold it.

My next truck was a Dodge Ram so a manual was no longer in play. But, in the ten years I owned that Dakota the traffic had increased a lot on the roads I drove. Made a manual less fun to drive than in the past.

If I had the choice between a 5 speed automatic or a 6 speed manual I'd probably still go with the manual. Between an 8 speed auto or a 6 speed manual? 8 speed automatic every time.

Brsox

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019. 4Runner TRD PRO
It’s OK. I used to be very much that guy who’d give you static, argue how wrong you are, and want to actually fight you for saying an automatic transmission is good or that manuals were outdated or unnecessary. I was the “it’s not really driving if the transmission is doing the shifting for you” or “it makes you a better or more aware driver” or “a manual is required for a deep connection with the driving experience “ guy. For 100 different reasons, I was wrong. I don’t hold a grudge against folks who still want to drive stick, but I do snicker when they make the tired old arguments I used to make. Drivers agree with me and so do manufacturers. If people wanted manuals, they’d make them. For the 7 guys on forums willing to shout it from the rooftops and die in that hill I say more power to you brother. I hear you. Unfortunately car makers don’t.
There was a time when you always wanted a manual. Growing up, it was the go to choice. Manuals were less expensive, gave you better acceleration, gave you better fuel mileage and were more fun to drive. Depending on what you're driving, they can still be a lot more fun to drive and are less expensive, but today, modern automatics give better acceleration and better fuel economy. I've had manual sports cars that I would never even consider getting with an automatic. The driving experience was just too good with the manual. I've had a manual Mustang, S2000, Integra GSR, Miata, Z4 and others.....all infinitely more enjoyable with the manual. To me, the Wrangler is the type of vehicle that could go either way. The younger generation doesn't want to drive a manual. It's pretty hard to text, smoke a joint and take continuous selfies when you're trying to row your own gears. I will say that the $2500 charge for the auto is outrageous!!!!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I've had my share of manual transmissions. I neither see a benefit over this particular automatic nor do I feel inclined to row my own in my uses. But, there are those that love a manual. I'm glad it's still a choice. Surprised too.

When I was looking at buying a GT350 4-5 years ago, it only came in a manual. It was a tough point with me. I was going to use it to commute 40 miles of Los Angeles/ OC traffic every day. I finally passed on it, partly due to the stick and finally due to the engine showing problems. I ended up with a JL.

SurfMacJpMtb

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jp JLU Rubi, 17 Jp GC WK2 Quadra-Drive II
Can you explain what exactly this e-torque is?

I can always test drive the 2.0T but I'm wary about its newness and the reliability.

Vehicles equipped with eTorque contain a heavy duty motor generator and an additional hybrid electric battery to store energy from vehicle deceleration for use on engine startup after a stop as well as providing launch torque assist.

Sponsored

XxSHAUDIAxX

First Name
Naudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude
New member here, I'm about to get back into a Jeep after 12 years. My last one was an 05' TJ. I was set on a manual and today I got finally tested out the fit and feel of the new JL's. I was concerned with leg room after some reading and I'm glad I checked out both. I got a bad left knee and I like to stretch my leg straight out when driving. The new JL manuals don't let me do this without wedging my foot past the clutch pedal, then my shoe gets caught on the pedal on the way out. Damn it..... thats gonna suck on longer trips. Decided to test drive an auto w/ the 3.6, and it was a joy. I really liked it and was impressed with the motor and trans combo. Now I'm torn because even though I liked the auto there will probably be times I'll miss not having the manual. I will say I didn't like the feel of the clutch, super mushy and soft.

Anywho, its decision time and there is a nice Rubi on the lot with the 2.0T, didn't test drive it but that motor just doesn't appeal to me. Any regrets from you manual guys that switched to an auto trans JL?
I had a 2017 Manual it was exactly what I wanted all around and I absolutely loved it. This time I wanted just luxury for lack of a better word and I got the EcoDiesle Automatic and I can’t say I would go back to manual even though I loved the feel of control I had in my manual.

OP
OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
I'm pretty convinced I'm getting the automatic. Now to decide on the motor choice. I got my eye on a sport with the plain 3.6, no e-torque. May have to get them to put a set of Willys wheels and tires on it. Can't stand the silver plain wheels.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
You can still manually shift gears with the 8 speed automatic and save your knee because there’s no clutch.
Also you can pump in "V8" engine sounds into an electric vehicle. Just as good.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
8 speed auto in 22' JL was impressive

If you choose the automatic, you can use the manual shift mode if you want. Although, the shift points in the automatic mode are almost perfect.

Wolfy

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I guess for me, as posted before, I love the 8 speed auto in the Jeep, but there are still great reasons for a manual. If I were driving a modern compact sports car (Civic Si, Toyota GR86, Mazda MX-5), no way would I go with an automatic. I'm sure there are many that feel that way about the Jeep too, but for me, it's a different driving experience entirely.
Sponsored