Sponsored

8 speed auto in 22' JL was impressive

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
New member here, I'm about to get back into a Jeep after 12 years. My last one was an 05' TJ. I was set on a manual and today I got finally tested out the fit and feel of the new JL's. I was concerned with leg room after some reading and I'm glad I checked out both. I got a bad left knee and I like to stretch my leg straight out when driving. The new JL manuals don't let me do this without wedging my foot past the clutch pedal, then my shoe gets caught on the pedal on the way out. Damn it..... thats gonna suck on longer trips. Decided to test drive an auto w/ the 3.6, and it was a joy. I really liked it and was impressed with the motor and trans combo. Now I'm torn because even though I liked the auto there will probably be times I'll miss not having the manual. I will say I didn't like the feel of the clutch, super mushy and soft.

Anywho, its decision time and there is a nice Rubi on the lot with the 2.0T, didn't test drive it but that motor just doesn't appeal to me. Any regrets from you manual guys that switched to an auto trans JL?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Well I just realized the sport I test drove had the e-torque motor. Maybe thats why it seemed responsive.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Love my 3.6L E-torque! It’s quick…especially off the line!
Can you explain what exactly this e-torque is?

I can always test drive the 2.0T but I'm wary about its newness and the reliability.

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Can you explain what exactly this e-torque is?

I can always test drive the 2.0T but I'm wary about its newness and the reliability.
If you like to step on it the 2.0t is more peppy than the 3.6, i suggest you test drive it at least then you can walk away and know it wasn’t for you 👍

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I wanted a manual until I test drove one, then I didn’t any more. I’ve driven manuals all my life but did not care for the unresponsive JL manual at all.
Almost same story here. Was dead seton a 6-speed manual JLUR. Nothing available within 500 miles. Was going to order but the potential 5-6 month wait was not appealing.

Then a couple JLURs showed up off the truck at my local dealer. They were 8-speed 2.0Ts. Went and drove it next morning and bought it on the spot. Zero regrets.

It’s (arguably) the best auto trans out there today for a reason. And if you do any amount of wheeling I truly feel it’s the better choice.

Sponsored

sigsegv

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
The ZF 8 speed auto in the Wrangler is the first automatic transmission I've used that is so good I'd say manuals don't need to exist except for fun.

Apparently these are popular transmissions in european cars? I don't know of any other American or Japanese brands that have ZF transmissions. Nothing else I've driven has come close to the level of smoothness and refinement.

OP
OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
Any recent word of the 2.0T being discontinued? It would be a little more appealing to me without the e-torque crap that comes with it. That complexity of things just makes raise my eyebrow

TJRUBICON06

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JK SAHARA
My wife and I both have 2022 JL RUBICONS. Mine has the e torque 3.6 and hers is the 2.0T, both are 8 speed automatics. The e-torque is awesome! A huge improvement when compared to the 3.6 in the JK's. Part of this is the 8 speed automatic. The 2.0T performs really well, but feels like it has to be pushed harder to perform. Wish I could explain it better, but it feels like the 3.6 is geared lower. We are going off road in a few days, I will keep you posted.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
@Trailrated

I have the manual and love it. Took about 1,000 miles for the drive train to loosen up.

Everyone on here is going to tell you that the Auto is better. It is.

I won't buy an auto though. They aren't fun.

You should buy the auto since you seem to like it.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
The 8 Sp is a sweet transmission. I’ve been a manual guy for a lot of years but that 8 Sp auto is tough to beat, esp compared to the way the manual in a new Jeep feels. The 2.0 is a little rocket. Runs great, gets excellent economy (for a Jeep). I don’t think you need to worry about the 2.0 “going away”. I think the 3.6 is going the way of the dinosaurs once the new 3.0 six gets made in numbers (probably another year or two). Both the 3.6 and the 2.0 are solid and dependable soi wouldn’t worry about either of them-buy the one you like best, but do yourself a huge favor and drive BOTH before you decide. Get what feels best to YOU!
Sponsored