OP
Trailrated

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' JL Willys 2.0T
@Trailrated

I have the manual and love it. Took about 1,000 miles for the drive train to loosen up.

Everyone on here is going to tell you that the Auto is better. It is.

I won't buy an auto though. They aren't fun.

You should buy the auto since you seem to like it.
I'm with ya, love me a manual vehicle. A basic test drive isn't gonna tell me much on the JL manual, the biggest concern I have is not being able to stretch my left leg out. I'm a tall dude and with a bad knee. I didn't have that issue in my TJ, seems like they narrowed the foot space in the floorboard of the JL
Sponsored

Lager

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon Diesel
I have no regrets, the new auto trans is very nice and always seems to be in the right gear.

My 05 TJ Rubi is a manual and when I started looking to buy a new JL I thought I would get pretty much the same thing as what I have (2DR,Manl). I ended up after a lot of testing/thinking with a very different Jeep. I went with a 4DR, Auto, diesel and I love it!! Don't miss the manual trans at all and no regrets.

I believe the 392 and diesel use a somewhat different auto trans then the other gassers but I believe they perform very similarly.

I think the E-torque motor has a starter/alt/motor that provides a boost for the first 1/4-1/2 revolution of the wheels when moving from a dead stop to add some more zip.

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.
The 8 speed auto is a awesome trans. The 3.6 Updated PUG engine, is a proven reliable engine. This is a great combination.

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

I have driven manual muscle cars, sports cars, and trucks along with my fair share of automatics for 45 years. I'm so glad I chose the 3.6L eTorque for my '22 JLR. I guess I am getting too old to take on offroad adventures in a manual.

The 8 speed is the best auto tranny I have ever driven.

Industrialwrench

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 SRT Challenger. 18 4Runner off-road premium.
I’ll second the fact the manual feels better after 1000 miles or so. It’s the downhill trail driving around me where the stick shines for me. I’ve got automatic 4Runner that’s a beast in the trails too, but I hate constantly braking while descending in that thing.I know the new 8 speed holds gears too, just wanted complete control.

Last edited:

Sponsored

JEEPmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 2dr
After owning multiple manual transmission vehicles in the past, I can't wrap my head around the appeal of driving a manual with today's choice of automatics.

The auto in the Jeep is great, and you can still pull left on the shifter to enable manual selection of the gears.

Is depressing a clutch pedal THAT engaging and enjoyable?

I prefer not to burn up a clutch off-roading (and yes, I can drive a manual very well)

Brandonhgt

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe
The ZF 8 speed is a wonderful transmission. I have the same one in my Audi A5 and it is simply a joy in that too.

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
The 8 speed auto is definitely one of the best transmissions out there. I have done in my 18 Durango and my wife’s Jlu, very smooth and reliable transmission.

We went with the 3.6, not as peppy feeling but quieter and more refined. Still had plenty of power and torque when needed. I also had the old 3.6 in our van for 7 years and beat the crap out of that thing and never an issue with the motor. The old chrysler 6 speed auto on the other hand was a different story lol

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Life long manual transmission lover and driver. Just get the 8 speed and don’t look back. It’s been said that the ZF 8 speed automatic is possibly the best transmission ever built. I’m the guy that said that. Yes, it’s that good.

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
I agree with what everyone has said about the ZF 8 automatic transmission in a wrangler. It is excellent!

Overall, I think FCA has figured out transmissions really well across multiple brands. My wife has a 2015 Chrysler 200, and I used to have a 2014 Cherokee. Both had the 9 speed auto, and were fantastic. Never had a tranny issue with any of these!

Sponsored

OldJupiter

First Name
Old Jupiter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door JL Sport
Any recent word of the 2.0T being discontinued? It would be a little more appealing to me without the e-torque crap that comes with it. That complexity of things just makes raise my eyebrow
Answer to Question:
74k miles on 2018 Sport 2.0T ETorque - 0 issues I did the plugs at 60k and oil changes every 5-7k miles depending on time of year and driving habits. It pulls my 37 inch tires and even breaks them loose in the wet. 21 MPG avg

Answer to Comment +2 cents 🤣
This is my first Jeep and my first well to do FCA product. I've been burned before, but the idea of complexity for the sake of it is pretty old school - nothing wrong with that. However, forums like these and other outlets really help eliminate that line of sales tactics mumbo-jumbo vs user experience of this engine. Engineering has come a long way, at some point you have to have faith that their are good engineers out there trying to make a better product, and are being failed by the chain of command down the line especially at the sales level.

Be well! I hope you get what's right for you!

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Get an auto, it’s easier to text and eat and drive.
The 8 speed paired with the 2L is pretty smooth too. Except for stopping but I think this is an auto trans thing. This is my first automatic transmission (except the Subaru which does that really count?) in my life.

TriumphJeepster

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Hopefully
Is depressing a clutch pedal THAT engaging and enjoyable?
Maybe it just helps recreate the feeling of a time long ago, when we were more connected to our vehicles. I for one would have ordered my fully loaded Rubicon with crank windows if I could have.

But yes, a Jeep to me will always be 2 door with a stick. If I wanted anything else I would own another Toyota driving appliance.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Any recent word of the 2.0T being discontinued? It would be a little more appealing to me without the e-torque crap that comes with it. That complexity of things just makes raise my eyebrow
The 3.6l gets the etorque now, the 2.0t doesn't. Our 2019 2.0t has etorque, and has been rock solid for 51k+ miles. The 8 speed auto is amazing. Drive the turbo, especially if you drive hard at times, you'll be amazed. It makes significantly more torque than the 3.6 and makes power in a much better rpm range than the 3.6. It's counterintuitive, but the 2.0t passes 200hp at 4k rpm, the 3.6l doesn't get there until 5800rpm.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
2021 3.6 non etorque 8 speed.Third Wrangler ,first auto tranny. I let the wife talk me into the auto and I certainly have no regrets. It is a perfect fit.
Sponsored