First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Awesome trip! I have the same setup and love it.
Sponsored

Treeguy101

First Name
Gary Gierke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler - 2021 Gladiator JT
We will be wheeling in California again. I would like to run the Mohave Rd. do the trail from Joshua Tree to Big Bear, Maybe a camp a couple days at the Mud Caves. Probably do another day at Glamis. We have from the middle of January to the first of April to be in the the Yuma area. We will do things from there. Day trips, and multi day trips. I would like to go to the King of the Hammers. sometime by the end of January. Then of course we wheel all over the south east corner of California. Sometimes a couple times a week.

Midwestjeepguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Just a quick stop in St. Louis today as we make our way west. We have been up in the Arch twice. Once during the day and once at night. Both experiences are worth it. So the side detour was just an excuse to get out of the Jeep and walk around some. We had a full day in the Jeep yesterday and today was only a three hour drive so we had a relaxing drive with time to enjoy some extra stops.

The Gateway to the West.

IMG_9367.jpeg

They wanted $20 to park the camper at the Arch.
IMG_3709.jpeg

I was like let me turn around. lol.
IMG_3712.jpeg

We headed to downtown find a place to park. Still cost $4 for 38 minutes for the Jeep and camper. Times have changed.

I did catch some good shots of the Arch.
IMG_9369.jpeg

I saw nicely set up van. Even had a snorkel. lol.
IMG_9371.jpeg

IMG_9374.jpeg

IMG_9375.jpeg

Every once in awhile, I can catch a beautiful reflection on a building. The time of day and light made for a nice shot.
IMG_9377.jpeg

Mr. Business got his shot in too.
IMG_9383.jpeg

IMG_9386.jpeg

I think this is the first sunset shot of this trip. We are out in the hill country in central Missouri. We are camped in a stockyard parking area. Was looking forward to a beer and a steak tonight from their restaurant, but everything is closed up for the holidays.
IMG_9388.jpeg

Tomorrow, camping at a Pecan Farm.

Carla did cook the first meal in the camper this morning. Not surprised; she set off the smoke detector. Simple eggs with spinach and cheese, link sausage and fresh homemade jalapeño cheese bread for the win.
IMG_9363.jpeg

IMG_3718.jpeg

IMG_3715.jpeg
I grew up in Lansing MI and now live in STL. Small world! Your first pic is right next to where I work downtown. You'll have to come down for a Tigers/Cards game in the future - happy to buy you and your wife a beer! I'm always rocking the Tigers gear for that series, ha! Safe travels, looks like an epic trip!

AC77

First Name
AC Abegian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler diesel Sahara Altitude , 94 MKIV
Occupation
Autobody , singer-songwriter
We leave on Dec 27th of 2023. Next week. We Jeep, hike, climb and do random risky dumb stuff. I may also attend Overland Expo if I can secure an instructor position for a few classes.
It will be my wife Carla,
1703341347186.png

She repels
1703341478858.png

Rope climbs.
1703341589031.png

and is an expert Jeep wheeler. She primarily does the driving when the going gets rough and I do the spotting. So she has done Pritchett Canyon, Cliffhanger, the Rubicon Trail and many other challenging trails all over the country. Chances are if I post a sweet pic of my Jeep. she is driving.
1703341758056.png

1703341884775.png

She is fearless and will hang out over the edge of Top of the World holding on to the front bumper with a 1000+ foot drop off.
1703341801971.png

Our Dog Mr. Business travels with us. He is a JACKED Russell. He has walked and hiked about 1100 miles this year with us. He is a cave/mine explorer
1703342090802.png

A hiking dog.
1703342370959.png

and me of course.

The map below is just a simple itinerary that is just a basic guide as the locations that are turning points along the journey. It is not an absolute as we plan our journey as we go and as the wind blows. our plan is always in a constant revision on the fly. As you can see we have many many points of interest on the current map. While I know that we will not go to every point of interest, they are on the map so when I am looking at the map, I know when something is close to me that I potentially want to see.

tempImagevz6N7q.jpg

We will use harvest host, IOverlander, Gaia and several other apps to find places to to camp. We do not typically stay in a campground. Harvest Host will primary be used as we travel across the country type of travel.

The first two weeks looks like off roading at Kansas Rocks, in Kansas, duh.... Off Roading at Disney Oklahoma, off roading at Hot Spring Arkansas, then hitting the beach on the Gulf of Mexico for a couple relax days in Louisiana. After a couple days, we head west to San Antonio. My wife has been on me to visit San Antonio to do the River Walk area and visit the missions. Then head west and visit with a friend on this forum and off road at Hidden Falls in Texas. After that work our way to Yuma area in Arizona with hiking and Jeeping and camping along the way. I figure we will be in the Yuma/Welton area by mid January.
I love this wow !!!! i wish i can make time for something close to this ! slaving away , no chance to enjoy !

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
We will be wheeling in California again. I would like to run the Mohave Rd. do the trail from Joshua Tree to Big Bear, Maybe a camp a couple days at the Mud Caves. Probably do another day at Glamis. We have from the middle of January to the first of April to be in the the Yuma area. We will do things from there. Day trips, and multi day trips. I would like to go to the King of the Hammers. sometime by the end of January. Then of course we wheel all over the south east corner of California. Sometimes a couple times a week.
Ted,
Let me know when you'll be around socal. We can run (in the name of "pre-running") the Mojave Trail.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I grew up in Lansing MI and now live in STL. Small world! Your first pic is right next to where I work downtown. You'll have to come down for a Tigers/Cards game in the future - happy to buy you and your wife a beer! I'm always rocking the Tigers gear for that series, ha! Safe travels, looks like an epic trip!
Lansing Michigan is a good place to be from. I had season tickets to the Tigers, gave them up a couple years ago. I will keep this in mind when we travel through the area again. Thanks

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Ted,
Let me know when you'll be around socal. We can run (in the name of "pre-running") the Mojave Trail.
We may have to do this. I should be by yuma Arizona in a week or two. Will need a few days off the road and then, I would not mind running to Johnson Valley for a day during the King of the Hammers. That would put me up that way.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Awesome trip! I have the same setup and love it.
Have you done anything… mods to make the camper better or change anything? I built storage space under the bed/seat that is where all he wire and plumbing is at, added a Lugun table and set up a queen bed , added a 206 ah lithium battery, a shunt, installed a compost toilet, moved the electric jack from the center of the trailer tongue to the side of the trailer tongue.

Blues Fan 30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Wrangler Sahara
How did you go about just setting up camp on the beach?! Did you have to pay for access or just risk being arrested lol.

OP
OP
wibornz

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
How did you go about just setting up camp on the beach?! Did you have to pay for access or just risk being arrested lol.
The beach I am on, you can camp on for free. There is probably twenty or so vehicles camping on it right now. There are a few that will stay here for most of the winter.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
Have you done anything… mods to make the camper better or change anything? I built storage space under the bed/seat that is where all he wire and plumbing is at, added a Lugun table and set up a queen bed , added a 206 ah lithium battery, a shunt, installed a compost toilet, moved the electric jack from the center of the trailer tongue to the side of the trailer tongue.
I changed the battery to a lithium and moved it under the bed. I also added a Lagun table. The jack hasn’t been a problem for me. It gets close to the spare going through big dips, but it’s never touched. Whenever I think it might get close I watch it with the backup camera. I moved the battery inside so it would stay warmer, but I don’t think it’s necessary. I may move it back to the tongue and add a second 100 ah battery. Mine came with a 110v fridge (which is ridiculous), so I changed it to 12v. My wife and I have owned 5 rvs, from 15-32 feet and this setup is our favorite.
Sponsored