8 months and 1st cracked windshield

wchevron

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT, 2020 JLU
I was surprised it took this long. Was driving yesterday, heard a rock hit the windshield. Within a couple of minutes there was a small crack. Within 30 minutes it split and I now have 2-9" long cracks. Took a look a the windshield this morning, there is actually a small piece of rock imbedded in the glass.

Reminds me of my old YJ days. I think I went through 6 on that one.
Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Can replacement windscreens for the JL-gen Jeeps be installed in a straightforward manner by an auto glass shop?

The reason I ask is because those shops would refuse the work when I owned MGBs. To be fair, that car had a godawful windscreen frame design. Replacing the glass required specialized knowledge and labor to do the job correctly.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Can replacement windscreens for the JL-gen Jeeps be installed in a straightforward manner by an auto glass shop?
Generally, yes. The only windshield that’s different is the in the JLs with the adaptive cruise control. There may be some smaller shops out there that won’t/don’t work with those.

Dcoury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon
We had a crack in our windshield just over 200 miles when driving our 2021 Rubicon home. That was at the end of November and have not changed it out yet. Yes we have free windshield replacement with insurance, we are taking a trip in September (Wrangler is a Toad) about 2,300 miles. No doubt we will get another crack. We might get it replaced at the end of the year. I thought that the new angles of the windshields were supposed to help with this issue.

We replaced three windshields in our 2014 Sahara, it’s a Jeep thing.😊

Sponsored

roaddawg

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Yep, here in AZ a chip or cracked windshield seems like an everyday event. 2 days into owning the JLU ended up with 2 star like chips. Had the windshield on the brides car replaced about a month ago. Driving back from the shop it ended up getting chipped again...with maybe 8 miles into the new windshield. It's now sporting 3 good size divits!

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
i just hit 16,000km and got my first rock chip which is about average for my parents jeeps too. Expect a new windshield every year. 🤬

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I had asked about ease of windscreen replacement for two reasons:

1. A crack longer than X mms, and/or one that is in the driver's line of sight, will force an automatic Fail during the annual State safety inspection; and
2. More to the point, it's not unknown to get lit up in PA, and receive either a Fix-It ticket or a citation, when driving with cracked glass that is plainly evident to an LEO driving in the oncoming direction.

With the foregoing in mind, I've maintained glass replacement on my policy's Comprehensive line item for many years now. The benefit has been used several times, most recently last summer, so it's been money well spent.

I've learned, for example, to give a wide berth to tri-axle dump trucks. They, and poorly maintained drayage daycabs, are trouble.

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
Replaced the windshield on my 19 JLUR in March after that extreme cold snap we had - defroster completely split the original windshield in February. Two days after replacing, we went to Big Bend National Park with another Jeep buddy. Following him down Black Gap I caught a rock and have a ding in the new one...

We own Jeeps. We should own stock in the glass companies...
Sponsored