Sponsored

8.4in Radio Upgrade Install from 7" screen?

GoTerpsGoBlue

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport S 2 Door, 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Hello Wrangler Friends…will be upgrading radio from 7 to 8.4.

Looking for recommendations on dependable sellers of 8.4. Must haves are configure to VIN and provide security code.

Also any watch outs I should consider when making this transition? Last, will be doing install myself…looks like a pretty straightforward install based on You Tube videos…is this true?

Thanks for your input
Sponsored

Morejeeps

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Cherokee ‘18 Jlur
I just fixed my 8.4 from my 2018. The screens are known to delaminate. Bubbles in the screen. It was an easy fix but you would have to be careful not to get the old screen and the only way to know is taking the radio apart.
I would only buy a new radio from an audio retailer or a mopar dealer.

Malcris

First Name
Cris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Granite Crystal Metalic
Hello Wrangler Friends…will be upgrading radio from 7 to 8.4.

Looking for recommendations on dependable sellers of 8.4. Must haves are configure to VIN and provide security code.

Also any watch outs I should consider when making this transition? Last, will be doing install myself…looks like a pretty straightforward install based on You Tube videos…is this true?

Thanks for your input
So I started with the stock 5”, upgraded to the 7”, then to the 8.4, and now I’ve got a heigh10 from stinger and there is no comparison. While a bit pricey, I paid $1500 with the Nav chip and vehicle integration, it’s head and shoulders better than any of the Jeep offerings. You retain all factory function plus full on screen vehicle monitoring. Oh, and the car play doesn’t disconnect every 30 seconds. I’ve heard the new alpine is even better, but it’s crazy pricey at over $3k just for the HU

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3853.jpeg

IMG_3852.jpeg

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Deleted member 59498

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Oh and just my opinion the 1400 dollar upgrade was not worth it for the 7inch to 8.4. Now at 1800 dollars sure is not worth it in my opinion unless you use the screen a whole lot. 5 inch would probably be worth it, glad they stopped using those things.

LostinBigBear

First Name
Sunshine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JL
I upgraded to the 8.4 as well through Infotainment. No issues, but afterward I realized NisMopar had a much better price. We did the install ourselves with the Sirius XM antenna and it was pretty straightforward. I use the Eleacc dongle for wireless CarPlay and the whole system has been flawless.

Last edited:

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
I got one from NISMopar off Ebay. Brand new unit and best price I could find. Got it in a few days.

Far better price than anyone else, which was 400 dollars less couple years ago. You send your VIN and it is plug and play super easy install with bezel.

They are like 400 cheaper than Infotainment and the other guy I forget the name.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/254307981396?hash=item3b35efd854:g:XLkAAOSwy6Jdlqks

https://nismopar.com/
I second the Nismopar recommendation.

OP
OP
GoTerpsGoBlue

GoTerpsGoBlue

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Oh and just my opinion the 1400 dollar upgrade was not worth it for the 7inch to 8.4. Now at 1800 dollars sure is not worth it in my opinion unless you use the screen a whole lot. 5 inch would probably be worth it, glad they stopped using those things.
You have

OP
OP
GoTerpsGoBlue

GoTerpsGoBlue

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You have me thinking if I should bite the bullet on the Alpine upgrade. Steep cost…but a pretty big upgrade

Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
On my last JL, I grabbed an 8.4 out of a wrecked Sahara for $500 and threw a pair of Infinity REF-3032cfx in upper dash. Nice improvement.
Very easy swap with trim tool and screwdriver.

ocdrumbum

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney to be retired 12-31
On my last JL, I grabbed an 8.4 out of a wrecked Sahara for $500 and threw a pair of Infinity REF-3032cfx in upper dash. Nice improvement.
Where did you find a totaled Jeep to buy parts? I have been looking for websites of resellers. There have to be resellers of parts from totaled Jeeps. I now have a JLU Rubicon because my 2018 Recon was totaled. It only had 23,000 miles so plenty of parts for JKU.

I am in central PA but if they ship no problem Anybody know resources????

OP
OP
GoTerpsGoBlue

GoTerpsGoBlue

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How did you make the swap happen from a connectivity standpoint? Did you need the radio VIN# and/or security code?

Deleted member 59498

You have me thinking if I should bite the bullet on the Alpine upgrade. Steep cost…but a pretty big upgrade
Yeah the 8.4 fills out the dash better but not much audio wise, the Alpine probably sounds better but don't know.

The alpine sure as hell looks good I know that from images on interwebs.

Guess they are so expensive because they have a captive customer base.
Sponsored