TyRoosevelt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JL
Hello all,

I am trying to decide between the 8.4 factory radio or the one from Stinger Offroad. However, I am worried about the updates that may be needed for the 8.4 and any potential long term issues. Infotainment.com and Nismopar claim their radios are associated with the VINs. I talked to an FCA rep and they did say that the VIN is in the actual radio. I guess this validates some of the claims by both of these companies. The people that I talked to from infotainment and nismopar both say that their radios work better from them versus getting them from somewhere else. Infotainment.com even told me they could send a flash drive with the appropriate updates whereas everything else I have read says that is not possible. I would be interested to see if that was actually true.

Has anyone actually performed an update on their Jeep that did not come with the 8.4 from the factory? More importantly, has anyone who has made the upgrade needed to update their radio after they had installed it? Nismopar said the updates are over the air and if they truly do tie the VIN to the radio, wouldn't the radios be able to update? Nismopar has seemed a little shady when I have reached out to them but it would be preferrable to go with a new unit.

Are the people who bought from NIsmopar and Infotainment.com having better luck with their installed 8.4 radios? Are those who bought them new from a mopar retailer having any issues? I don't want to spend $1600 on something that will crap out in a year.

As for the Heigh10 from Stinger Offroad, if anyone has any concerns about their experience or any quirks they didn't like, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
🤪

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
My 2020 wrangler came with the factory 8.4. It has updated twice over the air that I have seen (once this morning). I have not noticed a difference before or after either one.

I bought the 8.4 uconnect 4 from infotainment for my wifes Grand Cherokee (replaced the 5"). It works like factory. I have not seen it update or heard her comment about it, but Since covid, she has been working from home for a year. it doesnt get driven much.

The infotainment unit is factory and they sent me a quality product. Expensive though. I would buy from them again.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TyRoosevelt

TyRoosevelt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JL
My 2020 wrangler came with the factory 8.4. It has updated twice over the air that I have seen (once this morning). I have not noticed a difference before or after either one.

I bought the 8.4 uconnect 4 from infotainment for my wifes Grand Cherokee (replaced the 5"). It works like factory. I have not seen it update or heard her comment about it, but Since covid, she has been working from home for a year. it doesnt get driven much.

The infotainment unit is factory and they sent me a quality product. Expensive though. I would buy from them again.
I appreciate that. Thanks

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I’m disappointed with the factory 8.4 that no longer navigates my 2019 with 14k on the odometer. Dealer has ordered a new radio, just like those in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gps-issues.38071/
Love the radio and interface, but apparently there is a rash of air cards going bad.
I’m also wondering how this updates when it’s parked in a garage.
At this point, it’s worth exploring other radio options for me.
Jeep Wrangler JL 8.4 Upgade Update Question 0B42AEB7-AE97-49E0-8C3D-4B2898B500A8

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I also park in a garage. Both times I have seen mine update, I have been out and about. It asks me if it can update.

I dont use the build in Nav, so I dont know if mine works....

Deleted member 53226

I’m disappointed with the factory 8.4 that no longer navigates my 2019 with 14k on the odometer. Dealer has ordered a new radio, just like those in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/gps-issues.38071/
Love the radio and interface, but apparently there is a rash of air cards going bad.
I’m also wondering how this updates when it’s parked in a garage.
At this point, it’s worth exploring other radio options for me.
0B42AEB7-AE97-49E0-8C3D-4B2898B500A8.jpeg
Hate to be the one to tell you, but nothing wrong with the NAV. Clearly you are moving between a temporal vortex, or a "hole in the fabric of time" for the layman out there. So, you may think you're just going down the street, but in reality you are phase-shifting between dimensions. The Jeep, being the quality piece of workmanship it is, realizes this, and as you can see on the screen is showing you exactly where you are at that moment--nowhere at all.

Now, I have experienced this many times of course. The funny thing is, once I take the pills my doctor told me I need, the phase shifting issues go away and my Jeep NAV seems to just go back to being glitchy and just doesn't work well at all until it updates.

So I guess maybe it could just be a bad NAV after all. Or not.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Considering how many of these UConnects are eating shit only a few years in, you're probably better off buying literally anything else. I love the usability and layout of the software and still think it's one of the best OEM systems out there, but the hardware itself is garbage. Between aircards frying and screens delaminating, you're really just rolling the dice.

I've had my radio replaced twice and am on my third screen. Right now, everything is working smoothly, but I have absolutely no confidence this thing is going to last more than a couple years.

If you end up going with a company like Infotainment.com though, they've got great customer service and are a pleasure to deal with.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TyRoosevelt

TyRoosevelt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JL
Yer welcome
I bet when you have posted something, and you had a 2urstion about something, you really wanted someone to act obnoxious. Right?
Considering how many of these UConnects are eating shit only a few years in, you're probably better off buying literally anything else. I love the usability and layout of the software and still think it's one of the best OEM systems out there, but the hardware itself is garbage. Between aircards frying and screens delaminating, you're really just rolling the dice.

I've had my radio replaced twice and am on my third screen. Right now, everything is working smoothly, but I have absolutely no confidence this thing is going to last more than a couple years.

If you end up going with a company like Infotainment.com though, they've got great customer service and are a pleasure to deal with.
All of you guys are pushing me towards the heigh10 or alpine. Thanks for the feedback.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I bet when you have posted something, and you had a 2urstion about something, you really wanted someone to act obnoxious. Right?
Right.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Infotainment.com even told me they could send a flash drive with the appropriate updates whereas everything else I have read says that is not possible. I would be interested to see if that was actually true.
Why wouldn't it be possible? That's how updating from a flash drive works. The radio reads the drive and if the file on the drive is a newer version from what's on the radio, you can perform the update.

Has anyone actually performed an update on their Jeep that did not come with the 8.4 from the factory? More importantly, has anyone who has made the upgrade needed to update their radio after they had installed it?
I just installed the 8.4" inch radio from Infotainment.com a couple of weeks ago. When purchasing, I had to provide my VIN so the radio is tied to my vehicle. It is truly a plug-and-play install. Also, the radio ships with the latest software on it, so there is no need for an update.

I considered the Stinger option, as well as some others. I wanted a simple upgrade and I like the Uconnect interface. I also didn't want to lose things like the compass nor the turn-by-turn navigation in my instrument cluster, which you lose with aftermarket radios.

OP
OP
TyRoosevelt

TyRoosevelt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep JL
Why wouldn't it be possible? That's how updating from a flash drive works. The radio reads the drive and if the file on the drive is a newer version from what's on the radio, you can perform the update.

I just installed the 8.4" inch radio from Infotainment.com a couple of weeks ago. When purchasing, I had to provide my VIN so the radio is tied to my vehicle. It is truly a plug-and-play install. Also, the radio ships with the latest software on it, so there is no need for an update.

I considered the Stinger option, as well as some others. I wanted a simple upgrade and I like the Uconnect interface. I also didn't want to lose things like the compass nor the turn-by-turn navigation in my instrument cluster, which you lose with aftermarket radios.
That makes sense. Did you upgrade from the 7? Was the sound any different? Did they give you an unlock code? Did the radio look new? Any concerns you have? Thanks

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Hello all,

I am trying to decide between the 8.4 factory radio or the one from Stinger Offroad. However, I am worried about the updates that may be needed for the 8.4 and any potential long term issues. Infotainment.com and Nismopar claim their radios are associated with the VINs. I talked to an FCA rep and they did say that the VIN is in the actual radio. I guess this validates some of the claims by both of these companies. The people that I talked to from infotainment and nismopar both say that their radios work better from them versus getting them from somewhere else. Infotainment.com even told me they could send a flash drive with the appropriate updates whereas everything else I have read says that is not possible. I would be interested to see if that was actually true.

Has anyone actually performed an update on their Jeep that did not come with the 8.4 from the factory? More importantly, has anyone who has made the upgrade needed to update their radio after they had installed it? Nismopar said the updates are over the air and if they truly do tie the VIN to the radio, wouldn't the radios be able to update? Nismopar has seemed a little shady when I have reached out to them but it would be preferrable to go with a new unit.

Are the people who bought from NIsmopar and Infotainment.com having better luck with their installed 8.4 radios? Are those who bought them new from a mopar retailer having any issues? I don't want to spend $1600 on something that will crap out in a year.

As for the Heigh10 from Stinger Offroad, if anyone has any concerns about their experience or any quirks they didn't like, I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks
I looked at the options for a JL on Crutchfield. They have the Stinger Heigh10. Looks like a good unit. You might call them and talk to their techs. I'm not particularly impressed with my 8.4.
Sponsored