Sponsored

8.4" U-connect; What do you get for an extra $1845?

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
My personal experience with the 8.4" screen, the Alpine sound system, and the subwoofer have been nothing but outstanding. I cannot tell you how many people I have met who have the smaller screen say they wish they had gone with the bigger one. It is very clear, displays a lot more info for whatever you are looking at, and for the backup camera you get a much more useful, clear view. I really love it compared to any other car I've owned. The sound system is totally worth it and sounds great when you're cranking your tunes of whatever genre you're into. The subwoofer takes up negligible extra space and is nicely situated to the right with minimal bulge. You can actually get a visual idea of that bulge by looking at one of the cargo mats specifically designed for the JL cargo area with subwoofer. You can see it's a minimal curve into the otherwise fairly squared-off area.

I agree with the poster who listed out a lot of the features on the 8.4" he never used/let expire (and some of those are on the lower-end models, too, anyway). For most of those I am spot-on the same. In the end, though, the extra screen real estate for whatever you are looking at truly is worth it to me. Everyone who rides in my Jeep the first time love the screen for the same reason. Your call, but all highly recommended.
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
My personal experience with the 8.4" screen, the Alpine sound system, and the subwoofer have been nothing but outstanding. I cannot tell you how many people I have met who have the smaller screen say they wish they had gone with the bigger one. It is very clear, displays a lot more info for whatever you are looking at, and for the backup camera you get a much more useful, clear view. I really love it compared to any other car I've owned. The sound system is totally worth it and sounds great when you're cranking your tunes of whatever genre you're into. The subwoofer takes up negligible extra space and is nicely situated to the right with minimal bulge. You can actually get a visual idea of that bulge by looking at one of the cargo mats specifically designed for the JL cargo area with subwoofer. You can see it's a minimal curve into the otherwise fairly squared-off area.

I agree with the poster who listed out a lot of the features on the 8.4" he never used/let expire (and some of those are on the lower-end models, too, anyway). For most of those I am spot-on the same. In the end, though, the extra screen real estate for whatever you are looking at truly is worth it to me. Everyone who rides in my Jeep the first time love the screen for the same reason. Your call, but all highly recommended.
Some people regret the smaller screen. I don't think anyone will regret the larger screen? Imho…totally worth it.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Unlike most of the other options that you might buy for your Jeep......the Alpine Premium Infotainment system WILL be used almost EVERY Time you drive your Jeep. It’s a GREAT stereo and control center for many of the Jeeps options.

ABSOLUTELY WORTH EVERY EXTRA DOLLAR PAID.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Unlike most of the other options that you might buy for your Jeep......the Alpine Premium Infotainment system WILL be used almost EVERY Time you drive your Jeep. It’s a GREAT stereo and control center for many of the Jeeps options.

ABSOLUTELY WORTH EVERY EXTRA DOLLAR PAID.
Exactly, I use it every single minute I am in my JLR. Other options I use every time I get in are the proximity locks and LEDs. All must have options in my opinion.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
  • 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot
  • 8.4-Inch Touchscreen Display
  • Alpine® Premium Audio System (w Subwoofer)
  • Emergency / Assistance Call
  • GPS Navigation
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp Control
  • HD™ Radio
  • Rear View Auto-Dimming Mirror
  • SiriusXM Guardian™ Connected Services w/1-Yr Trial
  • SiriusXM® Traffic Plus
  • 5-Year SiriusXM® Traffic™ Service
  • SiriusXM® Travel Link
  • 5-Year SiriusXM® Travel Link Service
You forgot more off-road virtual instruments on that one screen - not an option on the 7"

Sponsored

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
How far down does the sub box protrude below the interior, reason I'm asking is to see if it will interfere with doing a 3 link bridge.

ObiMatt87

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2018 Buick Enclave Avenir
Occupation
U.S. Air Force Active Duty (Retired), U.S. Air Force GS Civilian (Current)
How far down does the sub box protrude below the interior, reason I'm asking is to see if it will interfere with doing a 3 link bridge.
Not at all. The bottom of the unit/housing is level with the cargo area. Should not interfere with you plan from what I can see.

CJ2k14

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Is subwoofer that comes with the Alpine sound system and additional speaker or does it replace a lesser grade speaker?

More specifically, does upgrading to the "Alpine" system decrease the cargo room in the rear of the Jeep?

Thank you.
The sub is awesome, if you like base, its top notch, trust me, the screen and the quality of the rear view camera are like crystal clear, the best I've seen, easily, plus, you can at any time, hit the rear view while driving and see behind you on the screen or at a random stop light, not sure about your budget, but to me, it was a clear no brainer and no way would I be happy with the smaller screen, it just blends so well and there are so many features and the navigation has totally surprised me, much better than my Apple car play. No way I would ever give up my 8.4 screen! Totally worth it for me.

CJ2k14

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am with you on most of the Sirius XM features like Traffic Plus, Travel Link. I never use them.

Guardian is cool. The FOB has limited range for the remote start. Range is not a problem with the Guardian app. You can remote start/stop, lock/unlock, track, and some other features from anywhere with your cell phone. I think the Emergency/Assistance Call is part of Guardian. I have never used it either but it's kind of like any other emergency tool. You don't use it until you have a problem. It's nice insurance if your going on a road trip or to anyplace remote. I would not pay retail for it. It's worth the $10 a month to me when it's discounted.

The GPS is nice if you plan on road trips. Cell service is not always reliable. I know some people like preloading maps on their cell but the satellite GPS is a nice back up. Same with the Emergency / Assistance Call.

You can usually renew at huge discounts for all SiriusXM services. The retail on Guardian is $24 or something. There are always deals before or after the subscription expires. Latest deal for Guardian was $10/month for 6 months. XM Radio is like $5/mo discounted.
The Uconnect also has an icon that tells you of any wrecks, street closures or delays in your area and the local weather, 3-4 hours out locally and throughout the US, its pretty awesome.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Is it a 5 yr xm/sirius subscription as well? Generally I pay $5 a month for this. 60x5 is $300.

Sponsored

CJ2k14

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is it a 5 yr xm/sirius subscription as well? Generally I pay $5 a month for this. 60x5 is $300.
Sirius XM Guardian is 1 year and XM traffic and XM travel link are 5 years

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Sirius XM Guardian is 1 year and XM traffic and XM travel link are 5 years
What is guardian? Is that the normal music signal? For nearly $2k one should get 5 years of music.

RubiHOG

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL, 2017 Harley Road Glide
What is guardian? Is that the normal music signal? For nearly $2k one should get 5 years of music.
XM radio is 1 year, Traffic and Travel are 5 years, and Guardian is 1 year.

Guardian is what lets you get the Uconnect app and lock/unlock and remote start your vehicle from your phone. You can be miles away and lock it if you forgot. It also lets you find it if you forgot where you parked by showing both its location and yours on a map.

702SaharaJL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Bikini Blue
I have the 8.4 and my buddy has the 7. The off road pages are nice as you can display all your gauges without having to scroll. You get the navigation, and the sub-woofer upgraded soundsystem is amazing..I'd recommend it if you like music and like the tech. If that doesn't matter to you and you'd rather get steel bumpers, then go do what makes you happy!

Sometimes there's just too many options for us on these things and we forget what we're buying them for in the first place!