Sponsored

8.4" U-connect; What do you get for an extra $1845?

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I looked at the other screens but couldn't read them they were so small. Maybe the cataracts have something to do with that.

JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
I am still wondering about the sub woofer. I saw a floor flush mount example, but I think it was in a JK.

Does the Alpine sub woofer on the JL Unlimited take up what would otherwise be available as cargo space?
The 2 doors with subwoofer will be in the floor vs side panel.
upload_2020-3-26_22-29-55.jpeg

paffemt

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
The 2 doors with subwoofer will be in the floor vs side panel.
upload_2020-3-26_22-29-55.jpeg
And yes it does take up space ahead of the right rear wheel well. I added a Tuffy enclosure to mine so the space loss was not an issue.

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
I am still wondering about the sub woofer. I saw a floor flush mount example, but I think it was in a JK.

Does the Alpine sub woofer on the JL Unlimited take up what would otherwise be available as cargo space?
not really. it's up front (I.I.R.C.) by the passenger side rear fenderwell, so, it was a basically useless for storage area to begin with.

to be honest, her jl is replacing an ancient mercury mariner....really not noticing losing a lot of cargo space.

i think the real space difference is because there is a bag in the back for the 3 piece tops.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
  • 4G LTE Wi-Fi Hot Spot - never use, we all have unlimited data plans
  • 8.4-Inch Touchscreen Display - bigger is nice
  • Alpine® Premium Audio System (w Subwoofer) - this is a must and you can get with the normal 7" radio
  • Emergency / Assistance Call - never used and has expired
  • GPS Navigation - use rarely and only if happen to be in a spot that wireless phone doesn't have signal, otherwise apple, google and wayz provide better navigation
  • Automatic High-Beam Headlamp Control - wasn't a feature in '19 but would be welcome. drove a rental with it and it was nice
  • HD™ Radio - don't care, only listen to music from phone or Sirius or usb drive which all are available with 7" radio
  • Rear View Auto-Dimming Mirror - this is nice feature
  • SiriusXM Guardian™ Connected Services w/1-Yr Trial - never used and i've let expire
  • SiriusXM® Traffic Plus- never used and i've let expire
  • 5-Year SiriusXM® Traff- never used and i've let expireic™ Service- never used and i've let expire
  • SiriusXM® Travel Link- never used and i've let expire
  • 5-Year SiriusXM® Travel Link S - never used and i've let expire
Offroad pages are cool but some of that is available on dash and really most of it is just telling you what you already know.

I'm thinking about getting a '21, if we survive this, if they make '21s, if they offer sarge, if they don't jack prices and if all the moons align, i will probably just get the 7" with Alpine Speaker setup.
I am with you on most of the Sirius XM features like Traffic Plus, Travel Link. I never use them.

Guardian is cool. The FOB has limited range for the remote start. Range is not a problem with the Guardian app. You can remote start/stop, lock/unlock, track, and some other features from anywhere with your cell phone. I think the Emergency/Assistance Call is part of Guardian. I have never used it either but it's kind of like any other emergency tool. You don't use it until you have a problem. It's nice insurance if your going on a road trip or to anyplace remote. I would not pay retail for it. It's worth the $10 a month to me when it's discounted.

The GPS is nice if you plan on road trips. Cell service is not always reliable. I know some people like preloading maps on their cell but the satellite GPS is a nice back up. Same with the Emergency / Assistance Call.

You can usually renew at huge discounts for all SiriusXM services. The retail on Guardian is $24 or something. There are always deals before or after the subscription expires. Latest deal for Guardian was $10/month for 6 months. XM Radio is like $5/mo discounted.

Last edited:

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi,
We were ready to place a custom order for Rubicon but our plans have been interupted.

While we wait for the factory I have been looking at in stock Jeeps, and they have options I have not previously considered.

So, now I am wondering what you get for $1845 when you option up to the 8.4" U-Connect.

FWIW I already know you get another 1.4" screen display (on the diagonal). :)

Thank you.
You might not miss it if you don't have it. You will definitely miss it if you have it and used it regularly. I would regret not getting it. The 8.4" with the 2.0T has ANC. The electronic Automatic Noise Canceling works. I think the larger 8.4" is one of the best options available.

Must Have options for me:
LED headlights
8.4" Infotainment w/Alpine
Proximity locks
Tow Package w/ HD electrical and AUX switches
Cold weather package

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Do you get a rear view camera with both U-connect systems and no extra safety packages?

Is there a difference, other than display size, how the rear view camera works on the two U-connect systems?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I did not know that.

On a vehicle I purchased 3 years ago I did not upgrade the entertainment package and ended up learning after the fact that the basic package came with a tiny rear view camera display that is essentially useless, but you still make the mistake of looking at it when you should be using the mirrors.

I would like to avoid surprising myself this time around, so do you get a nice full screen display even with the smaller 7" U-connect display?

Thank you.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did not know that.

On a vehicle I purchased 3 years ago I did not upgrade the entertainment package and ended up learning after the fact that the basic package came with a tiny rear view camera display that is essentially useless, but you still make the mistake of looking at it when you should be using the mirrors.

I would like to avoid surprising myself this time around, so do you get a nice full screen display even with the smaller 7" U-connect display?

Thank you.
Yes.

Major Sleep

In response, "On a vehicle I purchased 3 years ago I did not upgrade the entertainment package and ended up learning after the fact that the basic package came with a tiny rear view camera display that is essentially useless, but you still make the mistake of looking at it when you should be using the mirrors.

Thank you."

Yes it does take up the whole screen. Yes it is nice to have the larger screen, I use mirrors still but with the 8.4, I really dont need to much. The screen super-imposes lines to guide your driving and is color coded to limit you ruining someone else's bumper. Occasionally these stop working (taken to dealer multiple times, fuses, resets, software updates, etc, etc nothing fixes it and it is always self resolving thus far) but not often.

I would completely agree with the statement about missing it if you youre used to it. My wife has a 2016 GLC and my camera is WAY better than hers. Just my opinion though.

Happy shopping! Hope you get a good deal and stay safe

barton

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara

it is mounted vertically and protrudes about 3/4" into the cargo area on passenger side. Barely noticeable loss of space.

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
I'm big on the larger screen, as I've rented Jeeps with the 7" and the smaller screen just isn't right to me. But I'll add that I use Apple CarPlay quite a bit and now the Gaia GPS app is available on CarPlay. When I go off road, it's great to have that big display showing the Topo map as I trail. I also preload some trails and I can zoom in/to to see details. Also, the weather radar on the Travel Link app shows up much nicer on the big screen. Combined with the Alpine audio, was definitely worth the cost in functionality for me.
Sponsored

Last edited: