IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
2. It actually looks scratched. Do you have long fingernails or wife perhaps?
I agree, something doesn't look right here. Why are there scratches all over it? It looks like someone tried to clean-off greasy fingerprints with a brillo pad
Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
They should cover that under warranty. I have had a screen protector since day 1 fearing something like this.
Ditto. I had the same issue (to a much smaller extent) on my JK where the Sirius favorites pop up button and band buttons appeared. I used those buttons so much that when you turned off the screen you could see the wear at those locations.

So for my JL I installed the screen protector on day 1 just for this reason. That being said, the screen should not be doing this after only 4 months of use.

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
I agree, something doesn't look right here. Why are there scratches all over it? It looks like someone tried to clean-off greasy fingerprints with a brillo pad
This is what LCDs look like when the protective coatings come off.

ToxicBanana

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Did you take it to a car wash? They may have used an ammonia based cleaner and run it on your screen.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Did you take it to a car wash? They may have used an ammonia based cleaner and run it on your screen.
I've seen this done over and over. It's pathetic.

Sponsored

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Looks like someone was touching it with a nail or key instead of a finger... scratching it...

IndustrialAction

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
IMPO, it really looks like someone tried to clean off the finger prints with something abrasive. That’s the person responsible for ruining the screen. FCA certainly didn’t do it

grady2hig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU, 2017 Toyota Sienna XLE 4WD
Maybe there is still a piece of plastic over the screen that never got removed when it was installed...and that's whats scratching...?

OP
OP
SpyDJeep

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Just a couple of questions (the obvious ones)...

1. Did you ever clean this with any astringent? I ask becuase some people clean with stuff that they don't know is hard chemical for the screen.

2. It actually looks scratched. Do you have long fingernails or wife perhaps?
No as I stated I've only used a damp lens cloth. My nails are short and hands are clean. Wife has her own Jeep to drive lol, shes not in mine that often.

No brillo pad used lol, only damp cloth. My dealer tried to "clean" it, perhaps some of the scratches are from what they did?

Never been to a car wash with this Jeep yet, only hand washes. Doorless May to Oct :rock:

Looks like someone was touching it with a nail or key instead of a finger... scratching it...
Looks horrible. My nails are short and I know better than to use an object on any touchscreen.

Get this Jeep owner a new radio...and a manicure.
I agree! Nails are good though a massage would go a long way ofter a long weeks work lol :like:

IMPO, it really looks like someone tried to clean off the finger prints with something abrasive. That’s the person responsible for ruining the screen. FCA certainly didn’t do it
It looks that way but I can assure you no-one has touched my Jeep. I'm not saying its FCA's fault. I'm saying my screen is defective from manufacturer. All the touchscreens we have in our lives? they're not new to us, I/we know how to use and care for them. None of my other Jeeps touchscreens (or other devices) look like this after years of use. Nothing has changed on how i use/care for them.

Maybe there is still a piece of plastic over the screen that never got removed when it was installed...and that's whats scratching...?
No I checked for that its the built in screen protector layer applied at manufacturer over the actual screen.

What's the owner's manual say about cleaning this screen? Any warnings? Just wondering out loud.
Manuel says not to spray caustic chemicals or liquids directly on the screen, isopropyl alcohol is ok though. Pic from Uconnect built in manual.
20180814_233929[1].jpg
20180814_233929[1].jpg

I will be pursuing this further but time is an issue for me as I'm in the middle of my busy season and I dont have much time to spare right now.

Thank you to all for the input! cheers!:beer:

Sponsored

GeoTracker

First Name
Geo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Could be a bad batch of oleophobic coating which is what keeps fingerprints off of touchscreens. They should last longer than this though.

Phones with fingerprint sensors have this coating as well and they eventually wear off and cause the sensor to not read as well.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
lol where the hell did you find that pic of me? me wife promised me that she destroyed it! lol
Cheers!
Clearly "Cory" is Johnny Depp's forum name.
upload_2018-8-15_16-45-4.png

SandBucket

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR; 2017 Subaru Outback; 1999 TJ Sport (traded-in)