First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"18 JLUR Punk'n, '11 JKU Mango tango, '17 JKU Granite crystal, 98 XJ plow jeep
Vehicle Showcase
@JeepCares

So my 3 month old JLUR touchscreen has finger wear on the actual screen. The finish is coming off where it is touched the most. My local dealer took a few pics and sent them to Jeep Canada requesting a replacement unit (I have a pretty good relationship with this dealer). Jeep Canada has denied the request, basically denying me warranty. I have not been offered a reasonable explanation to why I'm being denied outside of "user damage". As with all my screen I've only used a damp lint free lens cloth to clean it. I'm not looking for people to tell me that i should've bought a screen protector as I've owned several wranglers (and still own) over the years and have never experienced this issue. These screens should not wear like this simply from touching them. Sorry for the rant.

Anyone else experiencing this issue? If so what outcomes have you been offered?

Cheers :beer:

My '18 JLUR screen after 3 months!!!
20180813_195330[1].jpg
20180813_195412[1].jpg

Below is My '11 JKU after nearly 8 years of use, My '17 JKU screen still looks new.
20180813_195525[1].jpg
Sponsored

Windycityjeep

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
@JeepCares

So my 3 month old JLUR touchscreen has finger wear on the actual screen. The finish is coming off where it is touched the most. My local dealer took a few pics and sent them to Jeep Canada requesting a replacement unit (I have a pretty good relationship with this dealer). Jeep Canada has denied the request, basically denying me warranty. I have not been offered a reasonable explanation to why I'm being denied outside of "user damage". As with all my screen I've only used a damp lint free lens cloth to clean it. I'm not looking for people to tell me that i should've bought a screen protector as I've owned several wranglers (and still own) over the years and have never experienced this issue. These screens should not wear like this simply from touching them. Sorry for the rant.

20180813_195330[1].jpg
20180813_195412[1].jpg

Below is My '11 JKU after nearly 8 years of use, My '17 JKU screen still looks new.
20180813_195525[1].jpg

Jeep SHOULD COVER that----please keep us all informed here

MORubi

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Red JLUR, 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Construction
Haven't had that problem in my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 8.4" screen. Does it sit in the sun without the top? That is odd. I wasn't planning on getting a protector but I may have to rethink that. Hopefully you get some resolution.

OP
OP
SpyDJeep

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
@JeepCares

So my 3 month old JLUR touchscreen has finger wear on the actual screen. The finish is coming off...

20180813_195330[1].jpg
20180813_195412[1].jpg

20180813_195525[1].jpg
The hell, man? Is this you using the touch screen?

E5B85837-9708-451E-A5A5-51D007C191F7.jpeg

OP
OP
SpyDJeep

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had that problem in my wife's 2014 Grand Cherokee with the 8.4" screen. Does it sit in the sun without the top? That is odd. I wasn't planning on getting a protector but I may have to rethink that. Hopefully you get some resolution.
I've always run my jeeps with no doors and top down from May to holloween, I only put the top/bikini on for extreme sun/heat or rain. Jeep advertises these vehicles as weather/water resistant. sun and moisture have never effected my screens this way in the past. I have 6 wranglers on my driveway right now, 4 of them have touchscreens, my JL is the only one with this issue. Cheers!

OP
OP
SpyDJeep

SpyDJeep

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

travelboysteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Escape, Fusion, ProMaster Van, FR3 MH
Sorry to hear / see that issue.
Made me order a screen protector.

Let us know about warranty with FCA

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It would be interesting if anyone else on the JL forum has a similar amount of miles w/o screen protector and compare the wear on their screens. Maybe the dealership has seen other JLs with the same mileage without screen damage?

Is the JL using the same type of screen glass as prior Wranglers? Or is it more porous?

I bought an iPad about the same time as a friend - same model and their screen had a lot of wear marks on it, similar to your screen on the JL. After playing detective, found out he had used his iPad a few hours after having used a powerful hand degreaser. It didn't show up instantly, but it starting wearing out faster after that point. Same might happen after greasy food, too many fries, etc.

Sponsored

mdelzer

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.undercontrollabs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JULR Sting-Gray
Occupation
Developer, Home Automation and AV
FWIW, Apple did a $1000+ screen replacement on a late 2013 MBP that I had that was out of warranty because they had issues with the coatings they used around that time of manufacturing. I didn't even know it was going to be free. I took it in and asked about how much to replace it and they said it was covered by an extended warranty program for the known issue. Your screen looks exactly like mine was starting to look.

UrbanRogue

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
wowzers. that sucks.... I had the screen protector ordered before I get the jeep. was installed the moment i got home. I put screen protectors on Everything.

Hope Jeep sorts that out. that is not right

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
It would be interesting if anyone else on the JL forum has a similar amount of miles w/o screen protector and compare the wear on their screens. Maybe the dealership has seen other JLs with the same mileage without screen damage?

Is the JL using the same type of screen glass as prior Wranglers? Or is it more porous?

I bought an iPad about the same time as a friend - same model and their screen had a lot of wear marks on it, similar to your screen on the JL. After playing detective, found out he had used his iPad a few hours after having used a powerful hand degreaser. It didn't show up instantly, but it starting wearing out faster after that point. Same might happen after greasy food, too many fries, etc.
I have 9k miles and have owned since January. No screen issues.

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I used the 15% off coupon that came with my JL to order several doo-dads among which was the screen protector. It came as a two pack so I put one in the JL and cut one down to fit the smaller screen in my GMC. Now I feel like a genius after reading your post. Thanks!

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
@JeepCares

20180813_195330[1].jpg
20180813_195412[1].jpg

20180813_195525[1].jpg

Just a couple of questions (the obvious ones)...

1. Did you ever clean this with any astringent? I ask becuase some people clean with stuff that they don't know is hard chemical for the screen.

2. It actually looks scratched. Do you have long fingernails or wife perhaps?
Sponsored