Sponsored

8.4" Infotainment or Stinger 10" head unit upgrade?

justinshanley

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
Anyone with the Stinger Heigh10 concerned about it not being waterproof? I hate to get caught in a pop-up rain storm with my top off and wash $1600 down the drain because the unit got wet...
Sponsored

OP
OP
Twojayhawks

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
Anyone with the Stinger Heigh10 concerned about it not being waterproof? I hate to get caught in a pop-up rain storm with my top off and wash $1600 down the drain because the unit got wet...
No, I didn't know it wasn't waterproof. I actually don't expect to ever take my tops off but this is good to know.

Deezus

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
It just depends on what you're paying for it, if you're getting the infotainment stock 8.4 uconnect head unit for 1,000 or less then you go with that if you're comparing the price apples to apples then in my opinion you go with the Stinger.

justinshanley

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Sales
It just depends on what you're paying for it, if you're getting the infotainment stock 8.4 uconnect head unit for 1,000 or less then you go with that if you're comparing the price apples to apples then in my opinion you go with the Stinger.
I ended up going with the stock 8.4 upgrade from my stock 7. Stinger is nice, but Iā€™ve been caught in a couple pop up monsoons here in Arizona while out any about and I just canā€™t justify the chance of flushing up to $2k down the drain

mikem20

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Just had the stinger installed yesterday. I had the 8.4. I like the 8.4 I just have problems of always wanting bigger and better.

My initial reaction is that I may of made a mistake, but I need to give it time and see if it grows on me. The different OS have their own quirks that I need to learn.

For me the interface on the radio, bluetooth and sirus feels dated and not as refined as the 8.4. It is bland and the ability to move around to different sources is a bit clunky. I think I really liked the 8.4 options, everything felt within 1 to 2 touches at most.

The home screen and navigating through options again is different and not really used to it yet, but still does not feel as organic as the 8.4

The jeep specific menus and screens look much better and feel like I am using a different unit, I wish the other screens mentioned before felt as refined and as appealing as these. The functionality you get from these menus is great as well. These options are the only thing from making me roll back. In my opinion this is were the unit shines.

I am not a big apple or android car play person, so those do nothing for me.

I already have a dsp installed so the eq/crossover functionality is not needed either.

Being that I am on radio or bt primarily it feels like a throwback to my early 00s double din radio.

I will leave it in a month before making a final decision if I will keep or not.
Any updates to this?
Iā€™m considering the stinger for the additional camera capabilities and larger screen.

Sponsored

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Has any one put this in the sport model with the 5 inch
Hey Levi,
All vehicle integration, including off-road gauges, are features with any trim level. However, HVAC controls will only display on the HEIGH10 if your vehicle has digital HVAC controls (won't work with manual controls on base Sport trims).
Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Hey Levi,
All vehicle integration, including off-road gauges, are features with any trim level.

However, HVAC controls will only display on the HEIGH10 if your vehicle has digital HVAC controls (won't work with manual controls on base Sport trims).
Let me know if I can answer any questions!
Did you mean to say "options on some trim levels"? Because as you correctly note, the presence of analog HVAC controls on the Sport, or the corresponding absence of off-road gauges on that particular trim, means certain features on the Stinger can't/won't function when replacing the 5" Uconnect.

Mike - Stinger Off-Road

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
stingeroffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2020 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Automotive Electronics
Did you mean to say "options on some trim levels"? Because as you correctly note, the presence of analog HVAC controls on the Sport, or the corresponding absence of off-road gauges on that particular trim, means certain features on the Stinger can't/won't function when replacing the 5" Uconnect.
Hey James,
I was referring to options on the Stinger HEIGH10 radio upgrade kit.

Upgrading from the 5" oem radio to the Stinger Heigh10 plug and play kit will offer you vehicle information screens, temperature gauges, off-road gauges, drivetrain status information, oem camera integration, and steering wheel control retention. Even though not available on the 5" oem radio, that information can still be pulled from the vehicle and displayed on the Stinger HEIGH10 regardless of trim level. The only HEIGH10 feature that you will not gain is the on-screen HVAC controls if your Jeep came with factory analog HVAC controls seen on base Sport packages. You will need to continue to use your factory analog HVAC controls separate from the HEIGH10 screen.

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Upgrading from the 5" oem radio to the Stinger Heigh10 plug and play kit will offer you vehicle information screens, temperature gauges, off-road gauges, drivetrain status information, oem camera integration, and steering wheel control retention. Even though not available on the 5" oem radio, that information can still be pulled from the vehicle and displayed on the Stinger HEIGH10 regardless of trim level.
Good to know!

I wasn't aware that I could buy in here, so to speak. Decisions... šŸ¤”
Sponsored