Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
so, a while back I referred a friend and fellow forum member to my dealership and salesperson to buy a Rubi. He did, and so my sales person sent me a $75 gift card to the dealership as a thank you.

This is pretty cool and I do appreciate it, but I’m having trouble figuring out what to do with it.

-I do most of my own work (pretty much up to the heavy stuff like axle swaps, engine swaps, transmission and t-case rebuilds, or heavy structural fabrication/ welding are where I tap out. I would love to learn but just don’t have the experience yet) and I don’t even know if I can use it on that.

-the only thing I hate more than other people working on my rig is waiting for the dealership to get done working on my rig, for a list of reasons too long to get into, plus, the dealer is ~20 mi from where I live but it takes an hour to get there due to traffic

-I don’t buy doodads and stick on parts like bug shields, grille covers, etc. I usually focus on buying parts that will improve the function of my Jeep and make it more capable off road or adds a useful feature on road trips, and those come from either all the usual Jeep parts warehouse sites, or a company I know, trust, identify with their core values, and/ or appreciate the design and construction of their products.

So, TL;DR:
What would you guys spend a $75 gift card to your dealership on if you do your own work, hate waiting for other people to get work done, and most of the aftermarket parts aren’t really something you’d buy? Thoughts?
Sponsored

sost1sg

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2015 SRT Grand Cherokee
Maybe one of the mopar protection plans? I have tire and wheel and have found the coverage very helpful.

BLACKMOAB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black JLU MOAB, 2021 Black Lexus GX 460
Maintenance parts, engine coolant, oil filters, air filters, cabin filters, etc. $75 wont get you much.

Jeep It

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S in Firecracker Red
so, a while back I referred a friend and fellow forum member to my dealership and salesperson to buy a Rubi. He did, and so my sales person sent me a $75 gift card to the dealership as a thank you.

This is pretty cool and I do appreciate it, but I’m having trouble figuring out what to do with it.

-I do most of my own work (pretty much up to the heavy stuff like axle swaps, engine swaps, transmission and t-case rebuilds, or heavy structural fabrication/ welding are where I tap out. I would love to learn but just don’t have the experience yet) and I don’t even know if I can use it on that.

-the only thing I hate more than other people working on my rig is waiting for the dealership to get done working on my rig, for a list of reasons too long to get into, plus, the dealer is ~20 mi from where I live but it takes an hour to get there due to traffic

-I don’t buy doodads and stick on parts like bug shields, grille covers, etc. I usually focus on buying parts that will improve the function of my Jeep and make it more capable off road or adds a useful feature on road trips, and those come from either all the usual Jeep parts warehouse sites, or a company I know, trust, identify with their core values, and/ or appreciate the design and construction of their products.

So, TL;DR:
What would you guys spend a $75 gift card to your dealership on if you do your own work, hate waiting for other people to get work done, and most of the aftermarket parts aren’t really something you’d buy? Thoughts?
That’s typically known as a "bird dog" in the car business, but my experience has been it’s usually cash ranging anywhere from $50-$200. I like BLACKMOAB’s suggestion, or you could see if your friend wants/needs anything for his new Rubi and put it towards his purchase.

Sponsored

Fatman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU 2001 Corvette 1999 SLK 230 (2) 2004 S2000 2013 Tiguan 2014 Explorer PIU 2005 F150 2011 C-200 2012 Lexus Prius TO MANY CARS!
Occupation
Retired / BUM
A sticker, grease fitting, oil filter or a pat on the back.
Honestly most dealers pay a minimum of $100 cash (or check) and don't force you to use it at their store, I do like their model though.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I think that'll buy you a coke in the dealership vending machines. Or you can give it to a service guy as a tip for actually getting 5 quarts of oil in you Jeep instead of 6, he might punch you in the face, but it's a nice gesture.

Edit: Saw you do your own wrenching, kudos, it's worthless give it to some old lady who wants to buy Mopar air fresheners. IMO.

Last edited:

Carbonalpine

First Name
Raul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘14 JKU; '22 JLUR XR
This is funny cause after reading OP’s post I had to go back and reconfirm the amount. For $75, I don’t even think you can get the service department to inspect your car, so axle swaps wouldn’t be on the table anyways. Maybe buy oil filters to have on hand. But if it’s that much of a hassle to drive over there, gift it to your buddy.

Like others said, nice gesture for sure...but cash is king. At least you can take your family out for dinner with the cash.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Mud flaps.

OP
OP
RubiSc0tt

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I actually forgot about this (again). I'll have to look at it again tomorrow after work and note the stipulations/ restrictions- if for nothing other than a laugh or two.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

id just pick up 5 qt oil and a filter or how ever many oil filters you can get for the GC amount
Sponsored