Sponsored

7 1/4" Wood Circular Saw, Abrasive 7" Wheel?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
>>>>>>>>>>>>
Sponsored

Last edited:

BroncoWranglerski

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t help there but my first thought was a contractors table saw. Seems like it would be much more stable and not so prone to kickback.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah, I've done it, it sucks. The second you get SLIGHTLY crooked (and you can't really tell - it's that subtle) the blade just binds & starts eating itself. Never have I seen such abrasive dust LOL

They do sell abrasive blades specifically for 7-1/4" saws, but I dunno if they're one bit different than angle grinder blades.

I use the Milwaukee 8" metal cutting saw and it has its place. As a rule I've learned to avoid any of the carbide tipped metal blades 'cause shit goes downhill real fast....a single damaged tooth means the whole blade will soon be worthless....and they're not cheap.

Thus, it's a specialty tool in my arsenal but a last resort "for special occasions" kinda thing.

I actually use my V28 metal cutting circular more 'cause of portability and the slightly weaker motor is less likely to kick back and destroy a blade

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Thanks for the input.

Just frustrated b/c recently I've had a lot of occasions where I needed to cut LONG angled cuts and really haven't found anything that does this nicely.

A good, big metal working band saw with a heavy top would probably be ideal....but it's hard to find anything well made like that anymore new and used market old American iron is a gamble.

I hate battery powered stuff...but what you're saying makes sense in this case.
Ripping 1/8" floor plate the long way so it'd have a center seam actually, well, centered down the length of the trailer

I hate cords 'cause in an 8' cut the damn thing is inevitably gonna hang up and fight me. I suppose a background in carpentry dealing w corded circular saws might alleviate that....I try to not build anything from wood. Ever.

But to your initial question, I'll usually opt for a nice straight edge and my plasma (but the varying thickness of floor plate makes the plasma iffy at best).

I know you said you wanted something other than your plasma -- and I also know you know this, but a VERY consistent travel speed is the key to a quality plasma cut, which of course is why (er the predominant reason at least, ignoring big tables with multi-gas mixtures etc) tables produce such clean cuts.

IMG_20181116_160312146.jpg

IMG_20181122_161502028.jpg
Sponsored