RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
Just want to report that 7” to 8.4” is very easy, plug and play. I have a JLUS. Everything works as expected. All climate, heated seats, heated steering, all work. Sirius works. Nav works. Nav directions show up in instrument cluster. Took about 5 minutes to swap out. No codes, nothing needed. Bought unit off ebay as a “take out”. Said out of Wrangler. When I first powered up screen flashed “Chrysler”. I was concerned - don’t want to see that every start up! After one power cycle “Jeep” came up and “Chrysler” disappearred forever.

One thing I’ll need to run to ground is Aux switches. I’ve installed, but not had dealer flash yet. Option 1: Attempt with dealer, see if they care or even notice... or if there is a problem. Option 2; Tazer JL

I’ll run for a few days make sure everything is ok, then I may sell 7” and bezel.

Concerned about warranty issues if something goes wrong. Obviously I can’t expect Jeep to cover an ebsy purchase. Another factor in decision to sell 7”. Hopefully someone will solve updates issue.

Also telematics don’t work, but I expected this. I’m ordering the autodim mirror when correct harness becomes available. Benny from AllMoparParts gave me the part number. That MAY make this possible, not sure.
Sponsored

SeekRest

First Name
Laurence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Just want to report that 7” to 8.4” is very easy, plug and play. I have a JLUS. Everything works as expected. All climate, heated seats, heated steering, all work. Sirius works. Nav works. Nav directions show up in instrument cluster. Took about 5 minutes to swap out. No codes, nothing needed. Bought unit off ebay as a “take out”. Said out of Wrangler. When I first powered up screen flashed “Chrysler”. I was concerned - don’t want to see that every start up! After one power cycle “Jeep” came up and “Chrysler” disappearred forever.

One thing I’ll need to run to ground is Aux switches. I’ve installed, but not had dealer flash yet. Option 1: Attempt with dealer, see if they care or even notice... or if there is a problem. Option 2; Tazer JL

I’ll run for a few days make sure everything is ok, then I may sell 7” and bezel.

Concerned about warranty issues if something goes wrong. Obviously I can’t expect Jeep to cover an ebsy purchase. Another factor in decision to sell 7”. Hopefully someone will solve updates issue.

Also telematics don’t work, but I expected this. I’m ordering the autodim mirror when correct harness becomes available. Benny from AllMoparParts gave me the part number. That MAY make this possible, not sure.
Could you let me know the part # for the 8.4 unit you purchased?

My wife’s Sahara - off the lot purchase - had Alpine, but not the 8.4 infotainment. I can see, when she rides in my Jeep, it’s an option she regrets not having.

OP
OP

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
There are several threads on this in the Uconnect section. From that section:

Hi, guys! I have been following this post for a while now. I’ll be upgrading my 5” soon but I thought I’d consolidate all the information from the post to see if I have a good understanding of everyone’s research. Full disclosure: I have not done any of this myself, this is a consolidation of all the contributors in this thread. Everything below is what I have gathered from various contributors. Specifically, thanks so much to @thewolfman2010 (the original poster), @JJexp, and @romeoz, for sharing your experiences! Please let me know if this is accurate. Here is what I have gathered from the various posts:

-8.4”: 68295730ZF (No GPS)
-8.4”: 68295725ZF (With GPS) Be sure to order the one with GPS unlocked, but it is more expensive. The part numbers are the same.
-8.4” Radio Bezel: 6AB55TX7AB
-Sirius Antenna Extension Cable: 5064159AG
-Sirius Antenna: 68293949AA (This antenna is for the satellite radio and GPS)

-7” radio with satellite radio: 68297546AE
-7” radio without satellite radio: 68297545AE
-7” Radio Bezel: 6AB53TX7AA
-Sirius Antenna: 68293949AA (This antenna is for thesatellite radio and GPS)

If upgrading from Uconnect 3, 5” screen, you will alsoneed:
-Climate controls panel: 6BE28DX9AC (this is for thepart without the parking sensor button)
-Control module: 68249814AE (Also referred to as HVACmodule in the post)
-Temperature sensors: ?

Current issues with upgrading: When upgrading from 5” screen, and if you maintain the originally installedclimate control panel, volume and tuning for the HU cannot be controlled except for through the steering wheel and the HU cannot be turned off without turning off the vehicle (this does not include when the ESS is kicked in). Climate controls cannot be controlled through the screen, though making changes through the physical knobs do change the graphics in the HU. When installing the matching climate control panel (the one with the volume and tuning knobs), neither heating or AC works. This may be because of a lack of auto temperature control equipped with the vehicle, and thus no temperature sensors. The theory is that the system will not be able to receive temperatureinformation so will not turn on the heat/AC as required. There may be a possibility of solving this by installing temperature sensors. Also, when ordering the climate control panel, make sure that you have a parking sensors button if your vehicle is equipped with it. If you already have auto temperature installed, this is not an issue. All other controls for the new climate control panel work perfectly regardless if auto temperature is installed or not. Also, in order to get firmware updates, you will need a VIN that has the same screen that you upgraded to equipped from the factory. XM Guardian, WiFi functionality has not yet been explored.

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
There are several threads on this in the Uconnect section. From that section:

Hi, guys! I have been following this post for a while now. I’ll be upgrading my 5” soon but I thought I’d consolidate all the information from the post to see if I have a good understanding of everyone’s research. Full disclosure: I have not done any of this myself, this is a consolidation of all the contributors in this thread. Everything below is what I have gathered from various contributors. Specifically, thanks so much to @thewolfman2010 (the original poster), @JJexp, and @romeoz, for sharing your experiences! Please let me know if this is accurate. Here is what I have gathered from the various posts:

-8.4”: 68295730ZF (No GPS)
-8.4”: 68295725ZF (With GPS) Be sure to order the one with GPS unlocked, but it is more expensive. The part numbers are the same.
-8.4” Radio Bezel: 6AB55TX7AB
-Sirius Antenna: 68293949AA (This antenna is for the satellite radio and GPS)

-7” radio with satellite radio: 68297546AE
-7” radio without satellite radio: 68297545AE
-7” Radio Bezel: 6AB53TX7AA
-Sirius Antenna: 68293949AA (This antenna is for thesatellite radio and GPS)

If upgrading from Uconnect 3, 5” screen, you will alsoneed:
-Climate controls panel: 6BE28DX9AC (this is for thepart without the parking sensor button)
-Control module: 68249814AE (Also referred to as HVACmodule in the post)
-Temperature sensors: ?

Current issues with upgrading: When upgrading from 5” screen, and if you maintain the originally installedclimate control panel, volume and tuning for the HU cannot be controlled except for through the steering wheel and the HU cannot be turned off without turning off the vehicle (this does not include when the ESS is kicked in). Climate controls cannot be controlled through the screen, though making changes through the physical knobs do change the graphics in the HU. When installing the matching climate control panel (the one with the volume and tuning knobs), neither heating or AC works. This may be because of a lack of auto temperature control equipped with the vehicle, and thus no temperature sensors. The theory is that the system will not be able to receive temperatureinformation so will not turn on the heat/AC as required. There may be a possibility of solving this by installing temperature sensors. Also, when ordering the climate control panel, make sure that you have a parking sensors button if your vehicle is equipped with it. If you already have auto temperature installed, this is not an issue. All other controls for the new climate control panel work perfectly regardless if auto temperature is installed or not. Also, in order to get firmware updates, you will need a VIN that has the same screen that you upgraded to equipped from the factory. XM Guardian, WiFi functionality has not yet been explored.
I was just thinking about how to go about doing this exact thing this morning haha. Thanks for posting all that info!

Sponsored

lithe1

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Firecracker Red
Nice! Thanks for the info, RocketScientist.

I purchased the same head unit off of eBay and plan on doing this swap soon.

jerseymike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S

do you know what the part number on the replacement item was? Did you need a security code? do you need anything other than the 8.4 uconnect and the bezel?

thinking of doing this, there are a lot of 8.4 uconnects on ebay but with various part numbers so I am interested in which ones will work with JL

OP
OP

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
The part numbers are in this thread, above. You need the bezel and unit. That’s all. Seller on ebay said “security code included”. Never got one, was not needed. I’m pretty sure the 8.4” unit is the same part number across all FCA products.

SachM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubi Jl
Have anyone who have done a 7” to 8.4” screen swap had issue with volume to volume knob control, read it does not work after swap, any cure to that issue yet?
Thanks guys

luckytwo

First Name
Artie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Nice! Thanks for the info, RocketScientist.

I purchased the same head unit off of eBay and plan on doing this swap soon.
Can you provide a link to the unit you've purchased? I don't see anything on Ebay that really matches the JL. There are some non-US units without Sirius near $1k.

Sponsored

JCatherine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I tried this but didn’t have success. The navigation screen came on for about 10 seconds then just started cycling every minute shutting off unit and rebooting. It also started to come green screen. Do you think was unit are something else. There are only four connectors on back of 7 but six? connection spots on 8.4. Did you add another cable for the nav or just the hd? Aside from nav, volume, climate, Sirius, radio all worked.

OP
OP

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
The nav and Sirius share the small antenna located above sound bar and therefore share one connector. The "pink" connector is not used on the back of the 8.4. The other connector "violet" is for the LTE connection. Your Jeep won't have this antenna (the bigger antenna of the two on Jeeps so equipped) or cable This is for the ATT cellular connection needed for Uconnect features. This should have no impact on Navigation. A few of us, though, have actually bought that antenna (about $50) and procured a FAKRA cable (about $15), but have had no success with Uconnect. But, my radio/Sirius/nav have continued to work without issue. I think the problem you are having is with your unit. Might be worth a complete reboot. The TazerJL does this, or I believe a "system reset" from the menu on your radio

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
So what you're sayings is........ it does NOT take a rocket scientist to swap the 7" for the 8.4". Good to know.

OP
OP

RocketScientist

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford F150
Vehicle Showcase
So what you're sayings is........ it does NOT take a rocket scientist to swap the 7" for the 8.4". Good to know.

That is 100% correct. RocketScientist is just a screen name, but I am not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Jeepstrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase