7” to 8.4” upgrading screen size success

Wallbanger

First Name
Harvey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I just purchased an 8.4” unit from eBay. It came out of a 2021 Rubicon and I have a 2021 Rubicon. As long as I have the 4 digit anti-theft code, will this just plug in and work, or will I still have to flash it to my VIN?

Rdecode

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I just purchased an 8.4” unit from eBay. It came out of a 2021 Rubicon and I have a 2021 Rubicon. As long as I have the 4 digit anti-theft code, will this just plug in and work, or will I still have to flash it to my VIN?
Yes it will plug and work if you have security code

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

will this just plug in and work
Yes. But one thing to keep in mind is that after installing the new radio, you need to let the vehicle sit for several hours (preferably overnight) so that the new radio can learn the features of the vehicle. If you try to use the new radio right after install, you will likely be missing features and apps. This is because the Uconnect radios are so tightly integrated with the vehicle and the CANBUS.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. But one thing to keep in mind is that after installing the new radio, you need to let the vehicle sit for several hours (preferably overnight) so that the new radio can learn the features of the vehicle. If you try to use the new radio right after install, you will likely be missing features and apps. This is because the Uconnect radios are so tightly integrated with the vehicle and the CANBUS.
I can confirm my climate functions did to "register" until the next morning.

Sponsored

Murph-NH

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I just did this upgrade 1 week ago and so far my center console and dash both work great for CarPlay. My unit came out of a 2021 Rubicon

AllMoparParts.com

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Question for those who have not been able to get Guardian to work.
When contacting XM did they confirm the new 8.4 Radio ID number on their end?

Thank you,
- Benny

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Just finished the swap from a 7” to the 8.4. Besides letting it sit overnight, is there anything else I should do?

As of right now I dont have a backup camera, volume doesnt adjust (numbers move but volume stays the same), climate doesnt adjust to specific temps just hi/lo and no sirius in the media tab.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
To get Off Road Pages, you'll probably need to enable that with a Tazer or Jscan if you upgraded form the 7" system. ORP won't work either unless you have a Tazer installed permanently, or use some other Security Gateway Bypass in place. I use Jscan and an ECRI SGW bypass module.

Sponsored

TylerV76

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
To get Off Road Pages, you'll probably need to enable that with a Tazer or Jscan if you upgraded form the 7" system. ORP won't work either unless you have a Tazer installed permanently, or use some other Security Gateway Bypass in place. I use Jscan and an ECRI SGW bypass module.
I use Jscan and the red cable bypass. So I was planning on enabling it in Jscan and just leaving the cable bypass connected and zip tied to the cross bar behind the removable panel under the steering wheel. I dont go to the dealership so I wont need to remove it.

Thanks for the heads up

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
Upgraded to an 8.4 yesterday from the 7 inch. Everything is working great except for SiriusXM, it's still in preview mode after nearly 24 hours. Should I wait longer or call Sirius and have them transfer my service to the new radio?

zw470

First Name
McFly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLR
Upgraded to an 8.4 yesterday from the 7 inch. Everything is working great except for SiriusXM, it's still in preview mode after nearly 24 hours. Should I wait longer or call Sirius and have them transfer my service to the new radio?
You have to give them the new radio ID so it can be transferred.

Impy5

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Willys
You have to give them the new radio ID so it can be transferred.
Thanks! For some reason I thought the service would just transfer over.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Just to be sure, without the security code this install/swap will not work? Everything I’ve seen says you NEED it I just want to confirm. Thanks
Sponsored