7” to 8.4” upgrading screen size success

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
According to Z Automotive instructions it a vehicle setting and does not require the Tazer to remain plugged in.

I’m on software 21.10 also so maybe that’s the ticket.

have you tried texting Z Automotive to ask them?
You will need the latest firmware for the radio and it should work. ORP was not included initially. It is not a vehicle setting. You will need to activate via the tazer for sure. I've been through the ORP ordeal multiple times and worked with Joe Z at Zautomotive to test before the firmware was released. Good luck man.
Sponsored

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys, 2012 JKU previously
You can purchase a brand new 8.4" from a Mopar wholesale site for about $200-250 less. Thats what I did. Brand new - plug n play 15 minutes to swap it out. I upgraded from the 7" and really like it.
Where did you buy yours from? So did you have to do any programming or take it to have it flashed? My Jeep has the 7" with the upgraded Alpine system.

JLBeast

First Name
Dozi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S
You will need the latest firmware for the radio and it should work. ORP was not included initially. It is not a vehicle setting. You will need to activate via the tazer for sure. I've been through the ORP ordeal multiple times and worked with Joe Z at Zautomotive to test before the firmware was released. Good luck man.
Updated radio to firmware 21.10 and ORP appeared. So yes, you do need the latest firmware to get ORP. Thanks guys!!!

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
Updated radio to firmware 21.10 and ORP appeared. So yes, you do need the latest firmware to get ORP. Thanks guys!!!
Great to hear. Now just don't be mad if you seldom use that feature. Ha.

GZilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Couldnt get mine to work. Updated Tazer to latest firmware 11.2.1, turned Offroad pages on and did the full reboot and 2 sleep cycles. Still no luck. Any ideas?
I had a similar issue, Offroad pages enabled but the app didnt work.
The solution for me was that the tazer needed to remain plugged in.

My uneducated guess here is that the Offroad pages require info that is being blocked by the secure gateway module.

Personally hoping it'll be resolved in a future release, but I am not sure this is something the tazer can work around.

Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Where did you buy yours from? So did you have to do any programming or take it to have it flashed? My Jeep has the 7" with the upgraded Alpine system.
@ShariJeep I bought a new 8.4 from @AllMoparParts.com. They are a sponsor here on jlwranglerforums.

I too had the 7” with Alpine system. Simple plug n play. 20 minute install. If you want ORP you’ll need Tazer JL to enable.

I’m assuming you have dual climate control? Makes the 8.4 that much sweeter.

AAdams24

First Name
Andy Adams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Unfortunately I followed the advise of the ordering tools on the various mopar sites and ordered a 68429177AB for the 8.4 Uconnect head unit instead of part number mention in this thread. I had the 7" unit with Sirius. I ordered from MoparPartsAZ.

There are several issues with this model no Sirius, backup camera does not work, units are in metric, themes are chrysler. There are 3 connectors, Red, White, aqua and the main data connection.

Any thoughts if this can be configured to for my Wranlger?

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@ShariJeep I bought a new 8.4 from @AllMoparParts.com. They are a sponsor here on jlwranglerforums.

I too had the 7” with Alpine system. Simple plug n play. 20 minute install. If you want ORP you’ll need Tazer JL to enable.

I’m assuming you have dual climate control? Makes the 8.4 that much sweeter.
Have you had any issues with the 8.4? I think I am ready to pull the trigger and upgrade.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Have you had any issues with the 8.4? I think I am ready to pull the trigger and upgrade.
Also interested.

Do we have a link who has it at the lowest price? I didn't see it on allmoparparts.com

AAdams24

First Name
Andy Adams
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
The unit I ordered 68429177AB does not work as expected. Please don't order it.

Sponsored

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase

ShariJeep

First Name
Shari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Punk'n Willy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU 3.6L Punk'n Willys
Occupation
Fire Dept Dispatcher
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you! It is so confusing with so many different numbers.
No worries, I basically just went into build and price on Jeeps site and watched what codes changed when selecting the 8.4 and that one was the one that popped up everytime.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
very once in a while -every couple of weeks, the lines on the backup camera disappear however after the Jeep sits for a couple of hours they return.

Twice in 7 months the radio rebooted itself for what ever reason

And like I mentioned You can enable ORP using a Tazer. My ORP works fine but I have to be above 75’ in elevation for the GPS coordinates to show in ORP. The GPS shows in navigation/maps no problem.

small issues. And they seem to work themselves out. Overall I’m satisfied I made the upgrade